PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

To those selling in these difficult times Part Deux. AKA sellers support network!

Options

Comments

• NEH
    NEH Posts: 2,464 Forumite
    Options
    Sphynx wrote: »
    True. But she might see something she likes better. Mind you she might do that anyway, there are just so many variables.

She might but tbh there is only one day left to make appointments so she hasn't much time to have a look...
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    Looks as if our buyer still wants to move if things are sortable and we can "meet in the middle" as far as price is concerned.

It might not feel like it, but this is surely good news, in the sense that it confirms your buyer is serious and won't throw a last minute wobbly. :)

None of the survey stuff sounds unusual for an older house, but there is often an amount of horse trading on the back of the survey, seeming almost like a way of recouping the cost. I was glad my buyers just brought along a builder friend!;)
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I really can't do all the negotiating lark for a house - it feels too important for me - I know I'm missing out financially, but its just a bit more than I can deal with :o I do think the results of hard negotiation are a bit variable, however - but best of luck with it all, twisty.

And to Az!
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • twisty
    twisty Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi guys, thanks for all your comments.

It's not really so much about 'hard negotiating', it's just deciding whether taking that extra drop is going to jeapordise our own purchase. We have after all already come down from an initial asking price of £138,950 (dropped to £133,950 after week 2), so would be looking at over 10k drop if we took this offer.

Having said that, I do now believe that this woman is at the very top of her budget and I think it is a straight choice between accepting the offer or declining it. I don't think it is going to increase.

So, we are going to look at 2 flats today, which are the only two left on our shortlist. One we have seen before and really liked. If we like either of them enough to buy and can negotiate a small decrease in price, then we will accept the offer on our flat. If not then I am afraid we will have to decline.

If there wasn't the added pressure of such a short time scale to complete, then I might consider accepting regardless of today's viewings. But I don't want to accept and then feel rushed into finding somewhere and choosing a place that I don't really want.

OH is phoning EA now to pass on a message to the potential buyer that we will give her a decision by the end of today.

Fingers crossed for lunchtime!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That sounds very real, twisty, I understand what you're saying. Best of luck with the viewings today.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • NEH
    NEH Posts: 2,464 Forumite
    Options
    twisty wrote: »
    Hi guys, thanks for all your comments.

It's not really so much about 'hard negotiating', it's just deciding whether taking that extra drop is going to jeapordise our own purchase. We have after all already come down from an initial asking price of £138,950 (dropped to £133,950 after week 2), so would be looking at over 10k drop if we took this offer.

Having said that, I do now believe that this woman is at the very top of her budget and I think it is a straight choice between accepting the offer or declining it. I don't think it is going to increase.

So, we are going to look at 2 flats today, which are the only two left on our shortlist. One we have seen before and really liked. If we like either of them enough to buy and can negotiate a small decrease in price, then we will accept the offer on our flat. If not then I am afraid we will have to decline.

If there wasn't the added pressure of such a short time scale to complete, then I might consider accepting regardless of today's viewings. But I don't want to accept and then feel rushed into finding somewhere and choosing a place that I don't really want.

OH is phoning EA now to pass on a message to the potential buyer that we will give her a decision by the end of today.

Fingers crossed for lunchtime!

Good Luck...

I still think you're being played but each to their own...
  • PottyHouse_2
    PottyHouse_2 Posts: 373 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, gosh this thread has moved on a lot ... not been on here for a while as have been on that bloody rollercoaster again and started to lose hope !!!

Well we are progressing with the sale of our house and purchase of new home after a fraught month or so ... after having mortgage offer last November and then chain breaking just before Xmas we applied again for mortgage to be advised by IFA that B.S had changed their lending criteria and "affordability" was an issue (£27k under what we wanted to borrow) - he assured us not to worry but like you do, we went through a very tense week or so, it took them an age to confirm that everything for us was ok (being existing customers etc etc). So after 5 weeks now we have just received our mortgage offer and it is such a relief !!! (Last time the valuation of the house came in £15k under and that is another long story - but this time everything looks about right).

So as far as we know (!) all we are waiting for is for our Buyers to purchase the FREEHOLD on their property for their Buyer (which we have now been told could be a minimum 3 weeks to arrange) and a certificate for extension on our property - we did think we would be able to complete by Friday 28th May but that is exactly 3 weeks today so that looks like its not going to happen.

I have emailed our solicitor today (she really is excellent, phones me and replies to my emails - she is a human being !) asking for an idea of exchange and/or completion dates as it would be nice to have a date to aim for - do you agree ???

Anyway, got a few pages back of threads to catch up on now and good luck to you all for viewings for this weekend.
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • not_loaded
    not_loaded Posts: 1,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I don’t think the election has brought any great threats to us, us being the ‘part deux’ family! It’s about time things eased off from the stagnancy of the last few months. Here’s hoping!

PottyHouse (and all the other old-timers here) we still have an interested, almost proceedable offerer/buyer, with just a slow trickle of viewers as always.

It’s been a painful period to be on the market. With no onward chain, a great house and desirable area we had no idea it would be so difficult.

No viewings this weekend – let’s hope it’s warm enough for a bbq on Sunday! :)
  • strawberryx
    strawberryx Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm new to the forum but have read quite a lot of this thread and I know how most of you feel, it's all scary stuff!

I just wondered if anybody could help with an idea of how long the searches might take? We seem to be at a stage now where searches are next step. Is it too much to hope we might be able to exchange on Friday 28th May? Only 3 weeks away :S

Thanks
  • Fingers_Crossed_3
    Options
    week 38 on 30/4 I signed and posted back my mortgage application to the Woolwich and our solicitor their completed docs. This week we had a deja vu moment (same happened Aug last year) when my husband called the Woolwich to find out when the valuation would be happening they were ready to decline us for "undisclosed debt" argh basically we had 2 balances on virgin/tescos which I balance transfered a month or 2 ago to a Barclays lob card and all 3 balances show on our file apparently, how can that be??!! So now we have to post the Woolwich proof that we dont have balances with Virgin/Tescos. I've been able to fax proof for Tescos but I've had to request a duplicate statement from Virgin, which I'll then have to post, all in all losing at least a week.

I'm so despondent right now, my attitude is we'll do this, then they'll think of something else to batter our heads with etc etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure