500 Free Tesco Points Worth £20 In Deals Vouchers

Options
MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Update Note 12 July 07: This was in the weekly e-mail last week and according to the feedback (read it below) almost everyone has got their points. If you haven't done it yet, give it a go.

What's the deal?

Tesco is offering 500 clubcard deals (worth £20 in Tesco deals vouchers) if you call it up and ask for a car insurance quote. That's it, you don't actually have to get a policy, just a quote and the points should be credited to your November Clubcard statement.

The Details

This offer comes from Tesco's leaflet circulating in most Tesco stores. Have a look for it by the tills or ask at customer services.

Any potential problems?

Some people have been told their car insurance must be up for renewal in the next 30 days to get a quote - but many haven't - that's the luck of the draw. Also while the leaflet says this deal will close on July 17th if 1.3 million MoneySavers who get the weekly e-mail go for it - it may well close more quickly! Plus of course if everyone calls the phone lines may be swamped (yet this is on till mid-july so you could do it at the weekend).
Read people's experience in the thread below to see how its going.

How are 500 points worth £20?

You need to follow the golden MoneySaving rule.... never, ever, ever, ever redeem your Tesco points instore. Do that and 500 points are worth just a £5 discount off your shopping.

Instead convert them to Tesco Deals vouchers and they're worth four times that amount. These vouchers can be used on days out, breakdown cover, gifts, magazine subscriptions and much more.

For more full details and info on how to boost your points stash read the Loyalty Schemes article.

What to do

Call 0845 301 0771 (3p/min from BT) between 8am-9pm Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm Saturday and 10am-5pm Sunday. It's likely when the weekly email is sent out though, this will get really busy

(You can try this cheaper geographic number from SayNoTo0870: 0113 390 4000, but Tesco might not allow this).

Is it worth getting Tesco car insurance?

Maybe yes, maybe no. There's never one single cheapest provider if you are getting car insurance. So the simple answer is don't get the Tesco insurance without first following through the Cheapest Car Insurance article to find the cheapest quote that way.

Tesco's Terms and Conditions
  • Offer is available to new customers only.
  • Points will appear on or before your November clubcard statement.
  • The clubcard must be in your name.
  • Quotes must be completed over the phone.
Martin
Thanks to the original poster
This discussion was originally started by Crabman but I have started this so that I can put an official, fully researched MoneySavingExpert.com explanation at the top. Thank you Crabman for the top spot.
threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• quietheart
    quietheart Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    my car's already insurance by Tesco, could i try an imaginery one:confused:
  • crystal_clear
    crystal_clear Posts: 544 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Can i phone without the leaflet as i dont live close to any tescos ?
    Is there a code to get the points oe anything specific i need other than the phone number you have inserted to get this offer ?

regards
    crystal
    £2.00 savings club =£2.00
  • johnydeath
    johnydeath Posts: 163 Forumite
    Options
    I rang last week and was given the option of the points without the quote.

He was surprised I actually wanted the quote.

Just give them a ring and make sure you have your clubcard number to hand - ask for the points before they start the quote in case you get cut off :)
  • jungliemac
    jungliemac Posts: 435 Forumite
    Options
    Called last night and said insurance was due in August. They said too busy to do quote but will give me the 500 points anyway! Took no more that 5 mins for the call.
    True MSE'r -Money Spending Expert :D
  • white_star
    white_star Posts: 5,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just phoned and mentioned the offer, but as my insurance doesn't expire till September agent said they are still honouring the 500 points for callers, but are ony quoting for Insurance required in July, due to the high call volume they were receiving this morning. :rotfl: :money:
  • Hey_Dude
    Hey_Dude Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    Options
    jungliemac wrote: »
    Called last night and said insurance was due in August. They said too busy to do quote but will give me the 500 points anyway! Took no more that 5 mins for the call.

Just finished my call .

I explained I had the leaflet and wanted 500 points with a quote - they asked if my insurance was up for renewal - I said 'yes' - they asked if the quote was in my name 'yes'....

....guy put me on hold - and came back with the option of the points without a quote!

Lovely jubbly.

As it was an '0845' number made the call with my Tesco Internet phone 'bought' on R&R.....those were the days!

Duder
  • minibloke
    minibloke Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    just called for a quote and although they recognised i had a policy a few years back, they didnt ask for my clubcard number. should this go through just from confirming your details?

minibloke
  • Hey_Dude
    Hey_Dude Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    Options
    minibloke wrote: »
    just called for a quote and although they recognised i had a policy a few years back, they didnt ask for my clubcard number. should this go through just from confirming your details?

minibloke

My chap confirmed my name, postcode and clubcard number - told me he was getting my details - then confirmed that he'd 'just added the points'.

HTH

Duder
  • page_e
    page_e Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    Phoned this morning they are very busy already (i wonder why :rolleyes: )
    Said i wanted to change my provider got a quote £120 more than i'm paying now :naughty:
    But got the points aswell :T
    Dept free with savings (At last)
    comp wins
    Catherine Townsend book, DVD, Gel pen, 5* holiday to Dubai :)
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Phoned for this when it was first posted - then was told as insurance due date more than a month away could not be given a quote. This time chap put me on hold for a bit (but kept coming back to say was just putting me on hold for a moment) and then said that although due date too far away for a quote could have the points anyway and took my name, post code and card number.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure