Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Comments

• cjane
    cjane Posts: 17
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    [FONT=&quot]A couple of days ago I spent nearly an hour on the phone trying to get my package which is xl tv broadband + unlimited calls bill reduced from over £75.00. I compared various companies through uswitch and the best offer I found was actually Virgin at £42.00 + line rental for 12 months, but of course this was for new customers and then being told by two of your customer advisers that they could not reduce my account and the best they could do was £60.99 for 12 months!!. I played the I have been with virgin for 9 years!! yes 9 and have three mobile phone contracts with you so in my mind why does this not count for nothing, no loyalty at all! I even told them I have now been on the moneysaving experts website and a lot of people on the forum are complaining about virgin and are leaving due to this price increase and I think I may have to do the same. Is it the last straw to get there attention say your going to leave? Please can anyone let me know what to do [/FONT]
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,151
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 25 June 2016 at 12:45PM
    Thanks for this, will keep you updated on mine as I just came out of the £10 discount and current bill is £37.98 for Phone weekend and Broadbad L :eek:

I want to keep the same package, would love to lose the phone as don't have one but it's cheaper :think:

Will have to compare others such as Sky etc before I make the call to "cancel" and speak to rententions. Will make sure also I keep my mobile with me and answer all calls, as often if not in my phonebook I don't answer.

I want to stay with them as have no phone line from BT.
  • j9mcl
    j9mcl Posts: 25
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I have tried dealing with Virgin Media retentions department as I feel that I am paying too much for the package that I have. Over the past year my bill has risen from £85 to £98. Iam no longer in contract and they recently removed a loyalty discount that I had.

When I spoke to retentions all they could offer me was a £4 discount if I reduced my broadband to 100mg and reduced my phone to talk weekends. I feel that this is a poor discount for a downgrading of services. I then told them to start my 30 day cancellation notice. I know that I will get a call back at some point (hopefully) but wondered what I could realistically expect to be offered. I'm prepared to downgrade the landline as I rarely use it.

My package is as follows:

XL TV - no movies or Sky Sports
    Phone XL
    Broadband 200mbps
    Caller display
    2 Tivo boxes
    2 V+ boxes
  • I got a call back from retentions around a week in to my 30 day notice,

I had to reduce my internet from the "free" upgraded extra 50mb back down to 100mb as VM do not offer a 150Mb speed any more.

I retained the rest of my current package,
    M TV package,
    Weekend phone calls
    500 mb Tivo box

I am now paying £39.49 for 12 months rather than the £55 I was paying when out of contract.
    I could of upgraded my TV package to XL+ for another £5.00 a month, but we don't really watch the extra TV when we had previously
  • jdmes
    jdmes Posts: 2 Newbie
    I currently pay £45 a month for TV M+ 50 MB and a phone line. Just about to finish my contract so will be looking for a better deal. Will update when I know!
  • Potbellypig
    Potbellypig Posts: 775
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I currently pay £113 a month for:

Tivo downstairs
    V+ box upstairs
    Fibre optic broadband (can't remember the exact speed but it's one of the fastest)
    XL TV
    Sky Sports
    Sky Movies

It's only recently gone up to £113 from £93 because of the 6 month Sports/Movies deal I got last time. They could only offer to get it down to £107pm but obviously I'd need to sign up for another 12 months.

I'm tempted to go to Sky as I know I'll get it cheaper, but I've been with Virgin for about 7 years now and the internet handles 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 2 laptops and Apple TV without any problems. I'm not sure I'd get the same internet service with Sky.
  • wazza2004
    wazza2004 Posts: 107
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Why not keep the Virgin internet and go for sky tv package?
  • Potbellypig
    Potbellypig Posts: 775
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    wazza2004 wrote: »
    Why not keep the Virgin internet and go for sky tv package?

Good idea. I'll see how that works out the next time I call. Thanks.
  • jdmes
    jdmes Posts: 2 Newbie
    So ... I don't think I got the best deal but.

50 MB
    TV
    Phone Line

12 month Contract
    £36.99

£50 credit to my account.

Let me know everyone elses deals!
  • d70cw6
    d70cw6 Posts: 784 Forumite
    Package:
    TV M
    Some phone line thingy that i'll never use
    BB 50MB
    Tivo 1TB

£20 per month (£4 / month loyalty discount applied)
    £164 line rental saver

Was feeling particularly lazy.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport