Money Moral Dilemma: Is it OK to spend my baby's vouchers on myself?

Options

Comments

• JennyJukes
    Options
    I agree with the, as long as you give the baby something for it, even if not full value, I wouldn't feel too bad. As a gift giver, if I gave it for a baby but the baby genuinely had everything they needed and the parent just wanted to treat themselves, I think that would be OK. Often parents go without as their children is the priority and they deserve to be treated too but we don't always think about them when gifting a child. I think vouchers is a safe bet because at least you know it's going to be spent in a shop that will benefit either the child or parent instead of say, giving them cash and the parent spending it on luxury items or drugs/alcohol etc.... I did see an instance last year where someone was trying to sell a gifted voucher and someone posted that the voucher was for the children and the mother was selling it for drugs. In OPs case I think pyjamas are okay..
    Single woman doing it on my own... First house bought June 2021!
    Mortgage end date: 2041. Goal: Anything less!
    Mortgage currently paid off: 4%
  • svain
    svain Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you need a set of PJ's and the baby has everything it needs then go for it. There absolutely no obligation to "buy" them from the baby.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    I wouldn't personally, I would however 'buy' the vouchers from my child at face value and put the money in their savings account

Yes, this.

The gift was to the baby, not to you.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    Asya86 wrote: »
    Are people serious here? Spend it on whatever you like! You're the mother and if you're trusted to have this child you're trusted to know what they need and to sirens as much as you see fit on your child or yourself. This is really not any body's business!

Anyone fertile can have a child, not sure who you think is ‘trusting’ them to have one!
  • LouAnne_2
    Options
    Polycat I can't believe people like you are real life.... stealing from her baby ... really? People like you who obviously only join these sites to give out your two pennies worth of degrading opinions should be ashamed. The very fact this mum is questioning this shows shes a good enough mother. That's all we are required to be ' good enough ' theres no such thing as perfect which why moral questions are not black and white or right and wrong! Who are you to have the moral high ground on any topic.

Quite frankly social media is vile enough without you degrading people. Unless your feedback is constructive or helpful then take yourself off. I only joined this to reply to this post as I hope that mum does not take on your crap words and go feel guilty about something she shouldn't.

From one mum to another you are doing the best you can and the fact the baby has all it needs speaks volumes. You will get ppl such as the above everywhere you go unfortunately but try drown out their attention seeking self validating pleas and you do you.
    Treat yourself!!!! :money:
  • prunenuts
    Options
    I’m actually shocked that some commenters think you need to pay the baby back! Even if you spend it on baby clothes the baby is not going to know the difference. If I had been the person giving the voucher I would want you to use it in whatever way gives you the most enjoyment or usefulness even if it’s just used for the weekly shop.
  • onwards&upwards
    Options
    prunenuts wrote: »
    I’m actually shocked that some commenters think you need to pay the baby back! Even if you spend it on baby clothes the baby is not going to know the difference. If I had been the person giving the voucher I would want you to use it in whatever way gives you the most enjoyment or usefulness even if it’s just used for the weekly shop.

But it was a birthday present to somebody else, if you give a gift to a child would you genuinely be perfectly fine with the parent taking it from them and using it themselves?
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If the baby doesn't need anything now I agree it is more sensible to spend the vouchers than leave them sitting to expire/be forgotten or buy things the baby doesn't need. I am confident the parents will buy clothes for the child at some time during its life, when it needs them, and spend more than the value of the voucher!

M&S vouchers seem to me the sort of present intended to be useful.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    But it was a birthday present to somebody else, if you give a gift to a child would you genuinely be perfectly fine with the parent taking it from them and using it themselves?

Personally I would be perfectly fine with it. After all, most likely I'm only gifting to baby because of my relationship with mum and/or dad - and friends I'd gift for are the type of people who would ensure their babies needs are met first.

Might feel different if it was something luxurious & extravagant, but a pair of PJs? Wouldn't even cross my mind.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • dfern79
    Options
    Personally see no problem in using the vouchers but I would reimburse them with the cash to use when they want it or would put the money into child’s bank account
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure