PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Spoon out a couple of heaped spoons of plain flour into a bowl. Toss in an egg and give it all a good "whisking" with a fork. Then add milk until it's all "batter like", bit of a "gloopy but flowing" liquid. Into the fridge if you can for it to rest for an hour or so... then tiny splash of cold water and give it a beating.

7" sandwich tin or similar size/shape... bit of oil in that, into the oven ~180C or so.... let the oil get hot, pour the batter in, bake for about 20 minutes or so.

I don't weigh things out as I just go by eye... because I know what a Yorkshire batter looks like... it's about the same thickness as a pancake batter if you've made that. It's not runny/watery. It's got some body to it.

Ta.

What size spoons? Dessertspoon? Tablespoon?
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I use James Martin's yorkshire recipe and scaled down for 1 egg that's 1oz of flour and 2.5 fl oz of milk. He says to use full fat milk but I use whatever I happen to have in the fridge and it's always worked.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I use Delia's. But instead of part full fat milk and part water I use my standard 1% milk.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ta.

What size spoons? Dessertspoon? Tablespoon?
    Tablespoons, serving spoons... it's all very inexact with me I'm afraid.

I use a couple of serving/dessert spoons (no idea what they are or what size each of those are supposed to be) ... lob in an egg... then add milk until it looks right :)

Couple of big heaps of flour ... probably a total of about "1/4 cup" - and don't ask me if that's US or UK, dunno, my cups just say 1/4 :) and I'm guessing how much. And it might even be 1/2 cup.

I've always made Yorkshires at home, always used to make mum's batter and everybody else's, so I was at the "guess it" stage well over 40 years ago.

I can be useless when it comes to things "I just do".

Moving forward, you can always buy them ready made, usually they're about 50p ... and roughly 300 calories each.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,145 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    I'm afraid giant YPs are something I always buy ready made;).
    Hope you picked up some good Ys bargains in M&S flubberyzing:). My first car was an small old style corsa and I remember being terrified on the motorway once when it was very wet and windy going to Falkirk. I hadn't been driving long and was struggling to keep control, I was so relieved when I finally got there:). Enjoy you nights away.

Money - did you find something to cook? Would something like dahl or Egyptian rice & lentils suit? Some pitta or bread thins with those should be fairly low calorie/fat. Are you eating eggs? If so I like potato or chick pea or lentil, spinach & egg curry or shakshuska and again these should diet friendly.

I've spent most of clearing up post-storm. It was a fierce one with the local weather station which is about 5 miles away recorded gusts of 85 + mph:eek: over an extended period. While I thankfully have had no structural damage my veg patch took a hammering as did some flower pots and planters. Only the chard, calvo nero & kalette plants survived. Despite being taken down my deck baskets of tomatoes were also looking dire. I manage to salvage a good load of runners and a few kholrabi and have rather a lot of green & semi-ripe cherry toms which will hopefully ripen ok inside (they usually do):). All is now cleared up, tidy & composted and I planted up the last winter pansies but it's been a fairly heavy going day so I'm shattered now. The forecast for tomorrow is cold & wet so I wanted to get it all done if I could but probably wasn't wise but hey ho sometimes you've just got to go for it.:cool:

I forgot :o to defrost the braised steak & onions so will have something else tonight as I prefer not to reheat this from frozen or micro defrost as I always think it toughens the meat. Sausages & gravy will go nicely with the mash & veg I had planned.
    Needless to say meal plan didn't get done but I did manage a quick fridge check and sort a small grocery order for tomorrow. While there's lots of food overall I'm running/have run out of a good few essentials (well essential to me anyway:rotfl:). The stock made overnight is in the fridge as are the bones I'll sort both of these out tomorrow.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I worked from home today as I needed a blood test and there's no such thing as a quick visit to our local hospital for one, I did ask the nurse when was the best time to go and was told there wasn't one :cool: hopefully the dr will push it back to yearly tests rather than every 3 months after this one.

When I got home the postman had tied a parcel to the door handle with an elastic band :huh: it was only a second hand book but it was hardy hidden discreetly :cool:

Hope the flu jab went ok Flubberyzing, mine is booked for Saturday morning, I'm sure the dr does them earlier each year. When I first drove I had an oldish Nexia which was a bit like driving a tank when I replaced it with a fiat not only did I miss its power but the first windy day i went out in it was interesting :rotfl:

I came back from the blood test via T Express I did put back the tiger loaf :( but was led astray by custard tarts so a couple were lunch :naughty: with a cuppa tea. Dinner was a curried potato filo pie from the freezer, I had my doubts when I made it and wasn't surprised that it didn't turn out great even with some raita, will have to consider what to do with the rest :o
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    Dinner was a curried potato filo pie from the freezer, I had my doubts when I made it and wasn't surprised that it didn't turn out great even with some raita, will have to consider what to do with the rest :o
    It's getting to the time of year when the birds want extra food.......;)
    But custard tarts - now you're talking I like them in all forms so if you have any spare?:cool::D
  • Brambling
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    It's getting to the time of year when the birds want extra food.......;)
    But custard tarts - now you're talking I like them in all forms so if you have any spare?:cool::D

Sorry there were only two in the box or I would share :rotfl:

I have to be careful about feeding the birds as I don't want to end up feeding the birds to the cat :eek: it's rubbish day tomorrow so ......"
  • caronc
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    I have to be careful about feeding the birds as I don't want to end up feeding the birds to the cat :eek: it's rubbish day tomorrow so ......"
    Sounds like a bin job unless the cat likes curry/filo :rotfl::rotfl:
  • Brambling
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Sounds like a bin job unless the cat likes curry/filo :rotfl::rotfl:

Not a long as I'm on litter tray duty :eek: bin it was, life's too short to eat something I don't like :p
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure