We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

When to charge board for room

Options

Comments

• Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Alikay wrote: »
    I'd start taking board money when she finishes uni, but if you need the money to make ends meet, it may mean she'll have to make a contribution from her student loan.

Assuming that she gets the full "at home" loan, that's over £7k. Even allowing for possible travel and materials, that's quite a large amount to have just for spending money.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,719 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    mattpaint wrote: »
    It all comes down to need - if you need it and they're earning, then yes. If you don't need it and they're earning then it's up to you. Don't be under any illusion that charging board will magically turn your children into monetarily well-adjusted adults over night - it doesn't.

I have known people who really need the money once child benefit stops but we don't know OP's position.

I've never wanted to make /take money from my children. The household costs don't suddenly escalate when they reach a certain age.

I'd expect her to start paying for her own phone, clothes, travel etc but not rent. In the unlikely event that she has any spare money I'd hope she can save a bit.

In any event it all seems a bit academic the DD doesn't seem to have any money at the moment.
  • Tabbytabitha
    First Anniversary
    Options
    maman wrote: »
    I have known people who really need the money once child benefit stops but we don't know OP's position.

I've never wanted to make /take money from my children. The household costs don't suddenly escalate when they reach a certain age.

I'd expect her to start paying for her own phone, clothes, travel etc but not rent. In the unlikely event that she has any spare money I'd hope she can save a bit.

In any event it all seems a bit academic the DD doesn't seem to have any money at the moment.

As the OP has previously had a lodger, one might assume that money is an issue.

I think any individual who has someone else move in with them is likely to have aditional costs - it really isn't true that two can live as cheaply as one.
  • maman
    Options
    As the OP has previously had a lodger, one might assume that money is an issue.

Yes, you could be right there.
    I think any individual who has someone else move in with them is likely to have aditional costs - it really isn't true that two can live as cheaply as one.

I didn't mean that two could live as cheaply as one. I meant that when your child lives with you at in this case age 17, they don't suddenly cost more than when they were, say, 15. So, costs don't suddenly escalate at a certain age.
  • martinbuckley
    martinbuckley Posts: 1,717 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Our son worked weekends and lived at home whilst he was at uni for his first two years. He contributed towards £80 a month towards food and utilities from his wages/grant. He still lives at home and is working full time, and contributes £100 a month, which leaves him about £1000 a month. He goes back to uni in September and is living in digs, but will come home at weekends for his job which will go back to weekends/holidays until he finishes uni. He wont be contributing during that period, even though he'll be here 2 days out of 7, because he'll spend most of the time at work.
  • Tabbytabitha
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, you could be right there.

I didn't mean that two could live as cheaply as one. I meant that when your child lives with you at in this case age 17, they don't suddenly cost more than when they were, say, 15. So, costs don't suddenly escalate at a certain age.

No, but financial support in terms of child benefit and tax credits stops at a certain age, as will child maintenance if applicable. In this case, the child in question has just moved in, so costs will increase in the same way that they would if any other adult joined the household.
  • maman
    Options
    No, but financial support in terms of child benefit and tax credits stops at a certain age, as will child maintenance if applicable. In this case, the child in question has just moved in, so costs will increase in the same way that they would if any other adult joined the household.

It's hard to make a specific comment as to why a child should move back at 17 when most haven't moved out at that age. I can only assume she's perhaps been with the other parent.

I suppose I was generalising that if you'd had a child living with you all along then they wouldn't cost you more just because they reached 17.

I did say in my earlier post that it can be an issue on a tight income when benefits end but I don't think this would be the case at 17.

What we don't know is how OP expects any payment if her DD has no income??
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,207 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I looked into the following a few months back.

If you aren't receiving child benefit or tax credits for child. When their course finishes, at 18 years old they can claim JSA. What I couldn't find is if there's an 'official' date of the course ending, or it's the last date that they could go. My son's FE course finishes on 6th July. He can't attend beyond that because the college closes for the summer. I might be wrong but I think A levels are sat slightly earlier of this date, in June?

I also don't know if the Job Centre would be ok with someone just looking for temporary work due to them going to Uni in September.

Otherwise the OP needs to be claiming Child benefit and tax credits for them. Again I may be wrong but I believe CB would be paid until the end of August, no idea about tax credits.

Of course the OP's income may be too high for them to claim CB and TC. We're guessing that's not the case and they're on a low income due to previously having a lodger, but if they can't claim anything for teen moving in and are going to struggle financially as a result of losing a paying lodger, I'd have thought that would have been discussed beforehand.
  • Tabbytabitha
    First Anniversary
    Options
    It's hard to make a specific comment as to why a child should move back at 17 when most haven't moved out at that age. I can only assume she's perhaps been with the other parent.

I suppose I was generalising that if you'd had a child living with you all along then they wouldn't cost you more just because they reached 17.

I did say in my earlier post that it can be an issue on a tight income when benefits end but I don't think this would be the case at 17.

Benefits would end because the daughter isn't in education.

I think the OP needs to clarify whether she means contributing immediately (which would mean getting a job) or whilst at university (which was the way I read it).
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think the OP needs to clarify whether she means contributing immediately (which would mean getting a job) or whilst at university (which was the way I read it).

I am happy with things in the short term, just trying to get an idea of what other parents do once their child goes to uni.
    I am hoping that she will work, I dont think I will charge, but I will expect her to buy more of her own things, supermarket shopping etc.
    She is wanting to buy a car, so she is not broke, not sure if the realities of car ownership will stop her.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure