Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Options

Comments

• boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    I'd be wary about that - simply because they're using Daisy to provide their service.

SSE also use Daisy and make similar claims about traffic shaping. In reality, though, speeds drop in the evening by as much as 80% - so much so that BBC iPlayer can be unusable.

It's not traffic shaping, they say. Simply lack of capacity. And if Daisy don't have sufficient capacity to handle SSE customers, how bad is it going to be once they've added Vodafone to their stable? And I use the word 'stable' advisedly. :)
    Relative recently joined and it seemed at the weekend, it was again lack of capacity, you shouldn't notice traffic shaping on iPlayer, so i think it means a lack of capacity, they are rural, so it may well be fine in town..
  • jakka
    jakka Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi,
    My contract is up with Plusnet they have offered me with all call's £33.99 for regular fibre, or £34.99 for extra fast anyone had better offers from them.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    jakka wrote: »
    Hi,
    My contract is up with Plusnet they have offered me with all call's £33.99 for regular fibre, or £34.99 for extra fast anyone had better offers from them.

Not from Plusnet, which I gave up on years back when they would offer only uncompetitive deals.

TalkTalk have just been talked into an 18 month fixed price Faster Fibre contract with anytime landline and mobile calls for £20pm.

Downside was that it took an hour and a half online chat to negotiate!
  • jakka
    jakka Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes Plusnet don't seem to want to do a deal, I've been with them around 7 years, but the deal they offered me is worst than new customers and they get £50 cashback.

Anyone have experience of Now Broadband they have a deal for fibre and all calls for £25.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Now BB do a search on here for comments.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Downside was that it took an hour and a half online chat to negotiate!

And you'll probably find it's not implemented properly - that was my experience anyway.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    anactuary wrote: »
    And you'll probably find it's not implemented properly - that was my experience anyway.

Exactly the same, but that was anticipated and I had the transcript, which contained exact details.

Funny thing was that because they couldn’t get their systems to provide what we’d agreed in the chat, the only way they could do it was to reduce what we’d agreed by £3 a month.

That’s why we ended up on £20pm, including all the calls, and I was more than happy to accept the change.
  • simmonc2
    Options
    I think it would be a very useful addition to the Broadband comparism tool to show who is the real telecoms company behind the marketing badge.
    i.e. I'm with John Lewis broadband but know that this is really Plusnet.
    and the latest offer from Shell Energy is (I believe) TalkTalk.
    The reason I would like this to be explicit in the checker tool is that we all have experience (or indeed prejudice) for or against certain companies, and so would like to be able to compare offers in the clear knowledge of who is "behind" the marketing company.
    I think that this would be a powerful and useful addition to the checker, what do the Tech Guru's in MSE Towers think?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why not ask them ,that is MSE not the forum .
  • The_Bloodster
    Options
    I was wondering whether anyone has tried to sign up for Vodafone through the link on here where you get a £100 gift card or through any of the cashback sites.

Even though I've got a mobile contract (2 in fact) with Vodafone it comes back that i have failed a credit check. Strangely though if I speak to Vodafone on the phone or chat they are happy enough to process the order. Seems they just want to avoid giving me the bonus cashback/gift card.

They fed me some suspiciously sounding rubbish that when you go through the links its a copy of the Vodafone website and not really their site. Anyone had that before?

Tempted to go straight to Vodafone and order it to see if it fails the credit check and then when it passed ask about the £100 voucher offer. When they come back and say you didn't click the link etc etc i'll say thats fine and cancel the order. Would be interesting to see what they do in that case
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback