Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

Comments

• dreamypuma
    dreamypuma Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 November 2019 at 10:50PM
    My current Sky contract for ADSL broadband is coming to an end in December. I currently pay £8 per month (including line rental) for around 8mb connection. I really could do with switching to Fibre, but Sky won't Budge to anything less than £26 per month for their Superfast BB.

I just don't need a 64mb connection, and I'm not prepared to pay a premium for Sky not providing a standard 38mb fibre service.

The best value I can currently find is TalkTalk at £21.95 per month with £120 cashback. Assuming this is paid out (my historical payout track record is great) this would make the effective monthly cost £15.28.

I've been trawling the internet for decent deals for the past few weeks, but there seems to be drought. A few Vodafone deals, but I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Are there currently better deals to be had for up to 38mb Fibre? Worth holding out for Black Friday?
    My farts hospitalize small children :o
  • That's good news for someone for plusnet, the best they offered me worked out at £22.49 a month (when paying upfront for the line rental saver £197.88 and then £6 per month for 12 months).

So... is the nowTV offer (with the gamble of cashback) at £10.50 a month for 12 months the cheapest currently possible?

I've seen some pretty poor reviews for nowTV and smears from plusnet about the state of their technical help over the phone. Also lots of bad reviews for shell broadband, which is advertised on MSE coming in at just a few pence more per month.

Any other suggestions? I know black friday is coming up, but as I recall from last year, most offers were related to premium packages only (involving inclusive calls, tv packages, fibre+ connections, all of which I do not want).

Seems to be a hike in basic broadband going on so people "may as well" pay the extra few pounds a month for fibre. And 18 month packages, specifically troublesome when products like "line rental savers" are only offered as 12 month periods.

Thanks everyone!

I've been with NowTV BB for a couple of years now and have nothing but praise for them, Shell BB on the other hand have an appalling reputation on here at least for customer service (never used them myself).
  • Malti
    Malti Posts: 84 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 November 2019 at 10:04PM
    Plusnet are doing a good deal for new customers, unfortunately as an existing customer they want me to pay £78 (over 18 months!) more than their new customers for the exact same service. Well... not quite as I don't need their router or help setting up the broadband because I'm already a member!

Looking at alternatives but can't get Virgin where I live and no black friday offers available yet. Shame to leave Plusnet as I've been with them years
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Malti wrote: »
    Plusnet are doing a good deal for new customers, unfortunately as an existing customer they want me to pay £78 (over 18 months!) more than their new customers for the exact same service. Well... not quite as I don't need their router or help setting up the broadband because I'm already a member!

Looking at alternatives but can't get Virgin where I live and no black friday offers available yet. Shame to leave Plusnet as I've been with them years

Try TalkTalk. With them for some years now at an excellent regularly renegotiated price and a solid reliable service. Don't believe all the badmouthing. They're not perfect but they're a lot better and cheaper than BT.
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Try TalkTalk. With them for some years now at an excellent regularly renegotiated price and a solid reliable service. Don't believe all the badmouthing. They're not perfect but they're a lot better and cheaper than BT.

tALK TALK are more of a mixed bag, i went with them once and gave me an activation date of 3 months in Docklands, London. Not exactly out in the sticks

Attitude stinks too.

Suffice to say I went somewhere else.
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • Malti wrote: »

I had a quick look but couldn't see what BB you have but if you use your landline at all for outgoing calls do check out NowTV. They do average speed 36MB for a straight £25 a month which includes Anytime Calls and no delivery charges. We are very light users of the house phone but even then we were using around £5 of calls per month. If you pay your bills out of a current account just for DD payments it makes it easier to budget as you know that one isn't going to vary.

Edit: Their average speed 63MB service is just £30 a month
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    csgohan4 wrote: »
    tALK TALK are more of a mixed bag, i went with them once and gave me an activation date of 3 months in Docklands, London. Not exactly out in the sticks

Attitude stinks too.

Suffice to say I went somewhere else.

Never had a problem with them myself. And I doubt it would be possible to beat the £22 pm I’m paying for fibre, with unlimited 24/7 calls, including mobiles and call forwarding from landline to mobile.
  • For those pesky "new customers only" deals, it might be of interest to know that NowTV broadband are offering an extended cooling off period of 31 days from connection. This could be a way to get a stop-gap supplier for a few days, then being able to sign up for a new customer deal (providing this is agreeable with the suppliers "new customer" definition).
  • For those pesky "new customers only" deals, it might be of interest to know that NowTV broadband are offering an extended cooling off period of 31 days from connection. This could be a way to get a stop-gap supplier for a few days, then being able to sign up for a new customer deal (providing this is agreeable with the suppliers "new customer" definition).

New customers are usually defined as being away for at least 12 months.

I'm not a fan of doing this either as it is unfair on the companies involved. It's also subject to mistakes and ending up with 2 suppliers, one of which will want paying off in full.
  • bettz
    bettz Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 November 2019 at 6:53PM
    I've 2 days in which i can leave plusnet but im trying to hold on till Black Friday to see what deals are about so the nowTV deal might be good for me although im looking at the post office & dare i say it TalkTalk although that's an 18month contract
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback