SMETS1 smart meters to have ‘full functionality’ from May

Options

Comments

• Biggus_Dickus
    Biggus_Dickus Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Michaelw wrote: »
    The number of SMETS2 meter installations is nearing half a million, while first generation devices (SMETS1) are expected to have “full functionality” from May, according to the government official overseeing the smart meter rollout.

https://utilityweek.co.uk/smets1-smart-meters-full-functionality-may/
    I had a quick read through the entire article (can’t get back into it again without subscribing) and I think it said something along the lines of "11 out of 12 of installed meters are STILL WORKING in smart mode ";...can that possibly be true?,... or did I read it incorrectly?:doh:
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,613 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had a quick read through the entire article (can’t get back into it again without subscribing) and I think it said something along the lines of "11 out of 12 of installed meters are STILL WORKING in smart mode ";...can that possibly be true?,... or did I read it incorrectly?:doh:

Depends how you define smart mode - does smart mode mean that they are sending info back to the supplier or does it mean that they are communicating with the IHD.

Mines still smart insofa as I can see what going on and I can recover historical data going back 13 months but it hasn't communicated with the supplier who installed it several years ago or any of the other three that I've had since it was installed.

Don't forget there will be a fair proportion of people who've had one foisted on them by their supplier who wont have bothered changing suppliers before or since the smart meter was installed.

I'm guessing that despite all the advertising, cajoling and other incentives, the proportion of customer who actively switch suppliers is still fairly low so it's entirely possible that most smart meters are still smart
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »

Don't forget there will be a fair proportion of people who've had one foisted on them by their supplier who wont have bothered changing suppliers before or since the smart meter was installed.

I'm guessing that despite all the advertising, cajoling and other incentives, the proportion of customer who actively switch suppliers is still fairly low so it's entirely possible that most smart meters are still smart

Think I read recently ,that over 60% of the population are still with BG and their "regional" leccy Co. :eek:
  • Biggus_Dickus
    Biggus_Dickus Posts: 1,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    matelodave wrote: »
    Depends how you define smart mode - does smart mode mean that they are sending info back to the supplier or does it mean that they are communicating with the IHD.

Mines still smart insofa as I can see what going on and I can recover historical data going back 13 months but it hasn't communicated with the supplier who installed it several years ago or any of the other three that I've had since it was installed.

If the 11 out of 12 figure means full smart functionality then 92% of all installed Smart meters are functioning exactly as intended;...by that measure the smart-meter roll-out programme has obviously been a resounding success. :j

Those who constantly whinge and moan about Smets1 meters and their lack of interopabilty should start giving the people in charge of the Smart-meter rollout programme the credit they richly deserve.

I for one will be singing their praises from the rooftops from now on!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 March 2019 at 2:38PM
    Options
    It will be true. I saw my first smart meter in operation over a decade ago installed by British Gas. They have installed the largest numbers by far. I saw my first smart meter back in 2008.. I remember asking a BG meter fitter how many a day he was fitting and because of the lucrative bonus scheme in operation back then he was working fast, unlike the snails pace of the current crop of installers spending most of their day driving, the early BG fitters were going door to door when most of the occupants on any street were supplied by BG
    They knew they made sense commercially and installed them before our European friends from France, Germany and Spain dipped their toes in the smart meter game only after they were ordered to .
    ..BG installed them before they were even ratified by OFGEM.
    BG are the largest supplier by a country mile because they are the best run outfit and customers tend to stay with them so all those early SMETS1 smart meters are still in operation working fine.
    And none have ever been hacked.
  • Michaelw
    Michaelw Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    The gas model thats been fitted for some time by British Gas is stating.

SMETS 1 & 2 Compliance
    • Compliance with defined objects for SMETS1 with OTA for SMETS2*
    https://www.landisgyr.com/product/g370-zigbee-smart-ultrasonic-gas-meter/

If these will ever be upgraded time will tell,however the E470 electricity meter is poorly designed its segment display is hard to read,I dont know if British Gas will change this to something easier to see at a glance but I think I will try.
  • xman
    xman Posts: 95 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    For us with the SMETS1 version, some good news here (I THINK)

Way clear for second cohort of first-generation smart meters to be enrolled on central network

My meter was installed by British Gas and I need to change supplier/tariff pronto as their new tariff will be expensive from next month... Not sure if I should stick with BG for a few months until SOMEBODY tells me the meter has been updated? or move anyway and hope for the best...
  • thorganby
    thorganby Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    xman wrote: »
    For us with the SMETS1 version, some good news here (I THINK)

Way clear for second cohort of first-generation smart meters to be enrolled on central network

My meter was installed by British Gas and I need to change supplier/tariff pronto as their new tariff will be expensive from next month... Not sure if I should stick with BG for a few months until SOMEBODY tells me the meter has been updated? or move anyway and hope for the best...

Your post just shows how ridiculous and wrong the article referred to in post #1 only three days ago was.

May to October in three days! That is some slippage.

Don't wait, switch from BG ASAP so you don't get ripped off while waiting for your meter to support interoperability between suppliers.

You won't find it hard to switch a much cheaper tariff using the many comparison sites and don't forget cashback.
  • xman
    xman Posts: 95 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 March 2019 at 5:19PM
    Options
    Yeah, switching as soon as possible is the target indeed but I am keen to ensure I keep the functionally as it won’t be possible now replace the meters (reasons too long to explain now).

Wouldn’t mind waiting a bit until the system can read my meters...

Bulb would be my next provider - they seem to have a smart tariff on trial and looks like they will be keen to enrol SMETS1s when possible - they seem to suggest manual reading would be necessary “at the beginning”.

https://help.bulb.co.uk/hc/en-us/articles/115001232872-When-will-Bulb-roll-out-smart-meters-
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,613 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 March 2019 at 6:07PM
    Options
    I doubt very much that any large migration to the DCC will happen in the short term.

I guess it will be a long slow and painful progress and you could end up waiting a year or more for it to happen even if you stay with your present supplier.

If you consider that there are supposed to be over 11 million smart meters out there (September 2018 figures - so even more by now), they wont all go over at the same time.

Neither will all the suppliers get their systems in place for it to happen in the near future so it will end up being a phased migration. Possibly supplier by supplier rather than on a random basis although it's conceivable that they might take the opportunity to do it when they enrol a new customer with an existing smart meter.

I haven't seen a migration plan (assuming that one does actually exist) and therefore don't know which suppliers might have signed up for the first tranche

However, that said looking a the vast amount of useless bumpf coming out from the various agencies, it appears that only meter that are currently working in smart mode will be enrolled because it's the only way they can download the firmware/software updates.

I don't know where that leaves meters that are currently operating in the non- smart (ie dumb mode). Can they be reactivated remotely will they need to send a little man around to do it.

It's up to you if you want to hold your breath and hope that it happens this year (or even next) in which time you could have saved yourself several hundred pounds rather than sitting on your hands.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport