PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Making a fresh start, where would you live?

Options

Comments

• LeapOfFaith
    Options
    I went to University in Manchester and LOVED it. Lots of young professionals "upgrade" to Didsbury when they start working. One of my brothers has lived in Birmingham and Leeds and enjoyed both, whilst another brother lives in York and absolutely loves it (and his wishes from a city sound similar to yours)!!

Since you can move around easily, do you have enough money in savings to afford to rent an AirBnB property for a week or two in a couple of your shortlisted locations and have a chance to really experience it? That's what I'd consider doing in your situation anyway :cool:

Yeah Manchester is a pretty special place! Will check out York...

And yes good idea, I thought the same.... I thought if I could narrow it down to a Top 3 then I would be able to have a little try of each with an air bnb for 5-7 days in each :)
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Saddleworth outside Oldham might not be arty enough for you?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Saddleworth outside Oldham might not be arty enough for you?

Have you been recently?
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    Options
    Have you been recently?

Not recently. Seems just as expensive as it used to be.
  • pinklady21
    Options
    Why not move back to Ayrshire?
    Only an hour or so from most locations to Glasgow. Train stations and airports easily accessible. Beaches and countryside. MUCH cheaper than London too. What's not to like?
  • LeapOfFaith
    Options
    Thanks PinkLady, whilst I enjoy visiting Ayrshire and agreed iit has some beautiful parts (Troon being my favourite)

It’s somewhere I enjoy visiting and wouldn’t want to live there... I don’t feel it’s got that ‘happening’ vibe that I’m looking for and maybe just a little too close to family lol! I love my family but at arms length :D
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    Not recently. Seems just as expensive as it used to be.

It is expensive, but the OP has a decent budget, and it’s got more gentrified, artsy and trendy over the years.

I think it’s worth a look if he wants to be near a city but have nice views.
  • LeapOfFaith
    Options
    Thanks I see that it’s classed as Hillside Hipsters ! Very much the vibe I’m looking at, although property in the area seems scarce...
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,054 Forumite
    Options
    How about Devon, Exeter is a nice city with plenty to do or places like Totnes are quite artsy.
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 November 2018 at 6:41PM
    Options
    Read your OP, and came on here to suggest Hebden Bridge - then discovered that it had already been mentioned!! We rented a 4-bed 'executive' style house between Hebden Bridge and Todmorden for £850 - that was 5 years ago, but a budget of £900pm should still get you something worth having. Hebden Bridge has its own style, definitely worth looking in to.
    Other areas in West Yorkshire that are worth looking at - Ilkley, Skipton, Bingley.
    Or what about Northumberland? Closer to Scotland, and towns like Morpeth and Alnwick are lovely - and if you want a city, Newcastle is easy to get to.
    It sounds lovely, being able to work anywhere - we were in a similar situation 8 years ago. We'd been working abroad, and as we ran our own company and worked worldwide, we could live anywhere - it's a hard decision to make.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure