PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Making a fresh start, where would you live?

Options

Comments

• middleclassbutpoor
    Options
    Thank you very much for your detailed reply and your advice is much appreciated!

Leeds was actually at the top of my list around 4 weeks ago and then someone put me off it completely saying they hated the place (sometimes I can be so easily swayed!)

I have enjoyed Leeds the two times I have visited and budget wise it would fit, I'm around an hours drive from there at the moment, so I should perhaps get some viewings booked in and see if I can get a feeling for the place.

Yeah, do some viewings. It is becoming a city that has lots of digital/media/financial services presence. Recently Channel 4 have chosen to to have their head office there, SkyBet are also a massive employer there with their digital teams working in Leeds. First Direct and a number of high profile Investment/Financial Service firms are all located there too.

The university area is Headingly which has a nice feel to it with lots of independent shops as well as your some of you better known shops - its a 10min journey into the centre.

You have the First Direct Arena there for concerts as well as many music venues - great bars, great places to eat food. You also have excellent shopping with trinity and the arcades surrounding is where the likes of Harvey Nicks are an then you have the markets... It is a really diverse but down to earth city..

If sport is your thing - Football/Rugby/Cricket are all taken care of.

You can be in Edinburgh and London from Leeds also in a little over 2hrs....

Genuinely never feel like I do in any other city when I visit (I too are about an hour away)...
  • LeapOfFaith
    Options
    Yeah, do some viewings. It is becoming a city that has lots of digital/media/financial services presence. Recently Channel 4 have chosen to to have their head office there, SkyBet are also a massive employer there with their digital teams working in Leeds. First Direct and a number of high profile Investment/Financial Service firms are all located there too.

The university area is Headingly which has a nice feel to it with lots of independent shops as well as your some of you better known shops - its a 10min journey into the centre.

You have the First Direct Arena there for concerts as well as many music venues - great bars, great places to eat food. You also have excellent shopping with trinity and the arcades surrounding is where the likes of Harvey Nicks are an then you have the markets... It is a really diverse but down to earth city..

If sport is your thing - Football/Rugby/Cricket are all taken care of.

You can be in Edinburgh and London from Leeds also in a little over 2hrs....

Genuinely never feel like I do in any other city when I visit (I too are about an hour away)...

Thanks! You certainly make a very strong case for Leeds with everything it has to offer. I'll certainly have a good look around and get a feel for it. I have heard of Chapel Allerton sure that's the one? , do you know that area well ?
  • LeapOfFaith
    Options
    If Hebden Bridge is too pricey check out todmorden and littleborough, both closer to Manchester and starting to get a bit trendy, bars and cafes and whatnot. They do flood though so buy with care!

Saddleworth doesn’t tend to flood but you might get snowed in.

Thanks, Looking now and have found a nice property in Cragg Road, HX7, says the closest station is Mytholmroyd and it looks pretty close to Hebden Bridge, do you know it at all ?
  • hjghg5
    hjghg5 Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I live in Leeds (roundhay) and from what you've said I'd look at chapel allerton. Roundhay is nice but a bit quieter than chapel allerton and there seems to be more going on down there but you're still closeish to both roundhay park and the city centre. Or heading but that's more students.
  • middleclassbutpoor
    Options
    ACG wrote: »
    Dodgy accents? :P

I cant really help as I have only lived in Manchester which I love, but I am not sure I would live in Media City personally, nothing major against it as such. I just like having a garden for those 15 days a year when its warm and not raining.

You get 15 days of no rain in Manchester... I don't believe you... :rotfl:
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options

Careful now, let’s not set the wars of the roses off again by mistake. ;)
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Thanks, Looking now and have found a nice property in Cragg Road, HX7, says the closest station is Mytholmroyd and it looks pretty close to Hebden Bridge, do you know it at all ?

Pop the link up!
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options

We did this year, thats why there was nearly a hosepipe ban.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • LeapOfFaith
    Options
    Pop the link up!

Darn! Cant post links as Im a new user....

I found it on the OpenRent site and its the only house that comes up when you search hebden bridge if that helps :) £625 a month
  • pinknsparkly
    Options
    I went to University in Manchester and LOVED it. Lots of young professionals "upgrade" to Didsbury when they start working. One of my brothers has lived in Birmingham and Leeds and enjoyed both, whilst another brother lives in York and absolutely loves it (and his wishes from a city sound similar to yours)!!

Since you can move around easily, do you have enough money in savings to afford to rent an AirBnB property for a week or two in a couple of your shortlisted locations and have a chance to really experience it? That's what I'd consider doing in your situation anyway :cool:
    MFW2023 challenge #99: £1090.11 / £1,000 MFiT-T6 (Jan 2022 - Jan 2025) challenge #99: Reduce mortgage to £400,000. Current balance = £413,551.19 Initial MF date (23rd Aug 2022): Sep 2051 Current MF date: Jul 2051 Last updated: 15/06/2023
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure