PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Making a fresh start, where would you live?

Options
Hi All,

Thanks for reading my thread :j

I'm looking for some advice and I suppose its quite an open question at the moment (apologies for being vague at times)

I'm 26, and run my own recruitment company (please don't judge me, I'm a nice recruiter, PROMISE!) Myself and staff all work remotely, therefore I am not tied to a particular office location. The business has been going well and continues to grow... I have moved around quite a bit over the last 8 years and really now looking for a real community that I can be part of. I'm originally from Scotland (which is where most of my family still reside, Ayrshire to be exact) and have lived in these three areas over the last 8 years (Stockton on Tees, Manchester & London)

Having lived in London for the last two years, my time and energy has all been focused on building the business up. I do love London and always will, but the cost of living is just getting out of control and as a single person, it is hard to keep up. I'm at the stage now where I'm a little sick of renting out my spare room just to be able to afford to live in London. Therefore looking for a real sanctuary to call home. I've recently moved out of my place in London and temporarily staying with a friend in North Yorkshire, I have been travelling a fair bit over the last month and things are finally settled down. Therefore it is time to find a new place...

I will be renting initially, budget to £900PCM, looking for ideally 2 Bed property, some outside space would be great (balcony/terrace or garden) and ideally a nice outlook (something to gaze out at whilst working from home!) My mind has been all over the UK when considering places to live ... I'm in a position where I really can live anywhere, my close friends live all over the country therefore I don't really have a 'support network' to live close too.

Without sounding like a grade A you know what... I do love quite an artsy scene, an eclectic mix of people without everyone being stuck up their own backsides. Somewhere that offers a decent social scene where I can make new friends.

Initially I have looked at Brighton/Hove, however I won't be able to find what I am looking for with my budget in the area... I then considered Hastings, however have been put off by a lot of negative research. Also Margate seemed a good shout at one point but for some reason I am not 100% in love with Margate after visiting...

Other options I have considered are Glasgow (West End) and also Manchester (Media City/Salford Quays way)

I've ruled out cities such as Liverpool, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Bristol (nothing wrong with these just not for me)

It would be great to hear everyones opinions and if there are any hidden gem locations out there!

Thanks in advance :T

Comments

• ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,772 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The obvious suggestion is move back to Scotland.

Our "fresh start" 15 years ago took us from Oxfordshire to just north of Inverness in the Highlands. Definitely pleased with the move and would not go back. We return to visit once in a while and after 2 days I can't wait to get away from the over crowded place and back to the Highlands.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,782 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    H
    I've ruled out cities such as Liverpool, Birmingham, Edinburgh and Bristol (nothing wrong with these just not for me)

Dodgy accents? :P

I cant really help as I have only lived in Manchester which I love, but I am not sure I would live in Media City personally, nothing major against it as such. I just like having a garden for those 15 days a year when its warm and not raining.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • LeapOfFaith
    Options
    Thanks for your reply,

Scotland is certainly on my list , mainly due to being closer to family. Although not quite sure I'm ready for the highlands just yet (albeit stunning!)

If I were to move back to Scotland, the West End of Glasgow (Hillhead, Kelvinside, Broomhill) were on my list of possible moves.
  • LeapOfFaith
    Options
    Ha! I do love a good accent :p

Manchester does have a special place in my heart, I have also considered Didsbury & Chorlton as I could just about afford a small house there with a little garden...

Media City attracted me more due to the creative environment (and there's always an option of a balcony for those 15 days of sunshine!)
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    I would move north. Anywhere north. Including Birmingham. I lived south for years and prices are ridiculous.
  • middleclassbutpoor
    Options
    You are living in North Yorkshire...

- Leeds is a great city if you want city living and is very thriving at present. Its a small city as well so doesn't come with some of the problems larger cities have with getting about them as you can pretty much walk the full city centre within about 10-15 mins. If you don't want to be in the city centre but good transport links - Harrogate/Ripon/Ilkley/Skipton/York are all nice areas around N&W Yorkshire.

Likewise, you can get nice areas near to Leeds like Roundhay - the park there is brilliant and they have nice pubs/walks around it.

If you want to look over the border into the North West then then Manchester is a reasonable city but I wouldn't live in Media City/Salford Quays personally. I would be looking at the outer suburbs like Didsbury and Sale/Altrincham type areas.

Other places where I have thought, I could live there include..

- Newcastle/Hexam
    - Nottingham

It really depends but if you want a place where people aren't up their own backside.. I would come back to Leeds as a city every time.. Always feels like a friendly place..
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    I wouldn’t live in the media city area if you paid me to, but there are some lovely areas in Manchester, as well as the fairly obvious Chorlton and Didsbury there’s Prestwich, Monton, Worsley and Altrincham.

You could also look at some of the more rural areas around Manchester and the Pennines to get the best of both worlds. Saddleworth has trains straight in to Manchester, and Hebden Bridge has a nice buzz and lovely views.
  • LeapOfFaith
    Options
    You are living in North Yorkshire...

- Leeds is a great city if you want city living and is very thriving at present. Its a small city as well so doesn't come with some of the problems larger cities have with getting about them as you can pretty much walk the full city centre within about 10-15 mins. If you don't want to be in the city centre but good transport links - Harrogate/Ripon/Ilkley/Skipton/York are all nice areas around N&W Yorkshire.

Likewise, you can get nice areas near to Leeds like Roundhay - the park there is brilliant and they have nice pubs/walks around it.

If you want to look over the border into the North West then then Manchester is a reasonable city but I wouldn't live in Media City/Salford Quays personally. I would be looking at the outer suburbs like Didsbury and Sale/Altrincham type areas.

Other places where I have thought, I could live there include..

- Newcastle/Hexam
    - Nottingham

It really depends but if you want a place where people aren't up their own backside.. I would come back to Leeds as a city every time.. Always feels like a friendly place..

Thank you very much for your detailed reply and your advice is much appreciated!

Leeds was actually at the top of my list around 4 weeks ago and then someone put me off it completely saying they hated the place (sometimes I can be so easily swayed!)

I have enjoyed Leeds the two times I have visited and budget wise it would fit, I'm around an hours drive from there at the moment, so I should perhaps get some viewings booked in and see if I can get a feeling for the place.
  • LeapOfFaith
    Options
    I wouldn’t live in the media city area if you paid me to, but there are some lovely areas in Manchester, as well as the fairly obvious Chorlton and Didsbury there’s Prestwich, Monton, Worsley and Altrincham.

You could also look at some of the more rural areas around Manchester and the Pennines to get the best of both worlds. Saddleworth has trains straight in to Manchester, and Hebden Bridge has a nice buzz and lovely views.

Well I think its safe to say that Media City is off the list, everyone seems to think it would be a bad choice!

I do like Worsley, not so much Altrincham.. I will check out Saddleworth too and Hebden bridge is somewhere I absolutely love so will check that out too.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Well I think its safe to say that Media City is off the list, everyone seems to think it would be a bad choice!

I do like Worsley, not so much Altrincham.. I will check out Saddleworth too and Hebden bridge is somewhere I absolutely love so will check that out too.

If Hebden Bridge is too pricey check out todmorden and littleborough, both closer to Manchester and starting to get a bit trendy, bars and cafes and whatnot. They do flood though so buy with care!

Saddleworth doesn’t tend to flood but you might get snowed in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport