PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Making a fresh start, where would you live?

Options

Comments

• LeapOfFaith
    Options
    Benzanna wrote: »
    I had this dilemma at your age. I moved away from my home area - Sussex. I did a fair bit of research and chose Wokingham in Berkshire. Great links to London and the South coast. Brilliant schools, low crime and it's got a real community feel. It's a market town, but isn't too small. It's also come top of various lists for best places to live... :)

Ill check it out too :) !
  • sew_what
    sew_what Posts: 256 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is a lovely house under your budget in Greenfield, Saddleworth;
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-72645503.html
    Not that close to the (relatively) bright lights of Uppermill, but close to Dovestones and lovely walks.
    I live in Leeds and love it- if I was single and looking for somewhere artsy I'd definitely live in Chapel Allerton!
  • LeapOfFaith
    Options
    sew_what wrote: »
    This is a lovely house under your budget in Greenfield, Saddleworth;
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-72645503.html
    Not that close to the (relatively) bright lights of Uppermill, but close to Dovestones and lovely walks.
    I live in Leeds and love it- if I was single and looking for somewhere artsy I'd definitely live in Chapel Allerton!

WOW that is gorgeous!

However, a little too big for me on my own :D

I'd love to know your thoughts on Chapel Allerton, there is a property there that I am interested in... it's in Gledhow Court (LS7) ? Any thoughts on that area... :A
  • sew_what
    Options
    WOW that is gorgeous!

However, a little too big for me on my own :D

I'd love to know your thoughts on Chapel Allerton, there is a property there that I am interested in... it's in Gledhow Court (LS7) ? Any thoughts on that area... :A

The Greenfield house used to be part of a nursing home, I walked past it on my way to school and always admired it!

Gledhow court is just off Gledhow Valley road which is deceptively busy (it looks pretty though) It's at the bottom of a hill about half a mile from the centre of Chapel Allerton- and the bus stops etc.

Chapel Allerton has lots of cafes and bars (including a good range of indi restaurants) Lidl, Aldi & a larger Coop and then a great row of butcher, baker, fishmonger, cheese shop, wine shop etc. It has a couple of designer clothes shops and several gift shops. All in all a thriving village centre without too many charity shops!
    In the area there's a tennis club, local authority sports centre with pool & gym, a couple of parks nearby, allotments etc.
    There's an annual arts festival and monthly farmer's market.

Let me know if you need any more information!
  • LeapOfFaith
    Options
    sew_what wrote: »
    The Greenfield house used to be part of a nursing home, I walked past it on my way to school and always admired it!

Gledhow court is just off Gledhow Valley road which is deceptively busy (it looks pretty though) It's at the bottom of a hill about half a mile from the centre of Chapel Allerton- and the bus stops etc.

Chapel Allerton has lots of cafes and bars (including a good range of indi restaurants) Lidl, Aldi & a larger Coop and then a great row of butcher, baker, fishmonger, cheese shop, wine shop etc. It has a couple of designer clothes shops and several gift shops. All in all a thriving village centre without too many charity shops!
    In the area there's a tennis club, local authority sports centre with pool & gym, a couple of parks nearby, allotments etc.
    There's an annual arts festival and monthly farmer's market.

Let me know if you need any more information!

Thank you so much for all the info :) MUCH appreciated! :A

I'm going to setup some viewings for tomorrow/Thursday around Chapel Allerton and see how I get on... I'm getting that excitement bug in my stomach with the possibility of moving being just around the corner! eek :eek::j
  • LeapOfFaith
    Options
    So.... a little update (for any one who is interested!)

I have narrowed the list down to Hebden Bridge, Chapel Allerton and Glasgow (West End)

Hopefully a suitable property will come up soon after I check each place out more... I do think I am leaning towards Hebden Bridge as my top pick.
  • middleclassbutpoor
    Options
    Hebden Bridge is a nice area - good luck with your search..
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,305 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    MysteryMe wrote: »
    How about Devon, Exeter is a nice city with plenty to do or places like Totnes are quite artsy.

I was going to say exactly that;)

With your budget you could afford a decent place and it's close to the coast and the moors. The M5 is handy when you want to go "up country"

Totnes is a bit arty, I always think it is a scaled down version of Glastonbury

Don't forget you have longer daylight hours and a lot less snow than Scotland
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Finnieston in Glasgow has gone through a period of gentrification so might be worth checking out.

Remember that if you move back to Scotland and are earning more than (I think it's) £33k you will be paying more income tax than you would in England. If rent/buy a property with a council tax band E or higher then you'll be ripe for the picking for council tax increases.

There's also been a bit of a furore about business rates up here but if you're working from home that probably won't affect you.

I'm not saying don't move back to Scotland but as someone who runs their own business you might want to consider these things.
  • LeapOfFaith
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    Finnieston in Glasgow has gone through a period of gentrification so might be worth checking out.

Remember that if you move back to Scotland and are earning more than (I think it's) £33k you will be paying more income tax than you would in England. If rent/buy a property with a council tax band E or higher then you'll be ripe for the picking for council tax increases.

There's also been a bit of a furore about business rates up here but if you're working from home that probably won't affect you.

I'm not saying don't move back to Scotland but as someone who runs their own business you might want to consider these things.

Thanks for your advice, I will have a good look into everything and make sure it all works out. I had a look around Crow Road/Broomhill area yesterday and it seemed to have a lot to offer. It's a lovely problem to have deciding where to move but still an annoyance as each place has their own special thing to offer :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure