PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well done on your restraint YorksLass when you see them in the supermarket, imagine me at your shoulder shaking my head and saying Nooooooo :):):)

I think we are all guilty at some point of getting a bargain then forgetting about it. I am training myself to really make the effort not to buy unnecessary stuff, but it is hard to walk away isn't it.

Since I came home from my holidays last week I went shopping for stuff exactly a week ago this morning and so far have not put my head around a shop since and I am sticking to it for as long as I can and making use of as much as I can indoors first .

I had a left over cooked sausage last night for dinner with two slices of bacon a few left over mushrooms and some left over cooked potatoes it wasn't what I intended to have but I thought no, I am definitely using stuff up first.Lunch was left over half a tin of beans on a small jacket spud.So most of yesterday's meals were left overs :):).

I made a jelly that was in the cupboard and added some strained mixed fruit cocktail from aa battered tin that was also in the cupboard ,the fruit juice from the tin I drained off first and had as a drink, couldn't think what else to do with it I certainly wasn't going to throw it down the sink

What do the rest of you do with the drained juice :) I never buy tinned fruit in syrup as I don't really like it

It's not often I buy tinned fruit as I really prefer fresh, but it was reduced to 25p around Easter so it had been sitting in the cupboard ever since :)

Have a great weekend chums I am out to dinner tonight and tomorrow night so I won't have a great deal of cooking to do :):)

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Well done on your restraint YorksLass when you see them in the supermarket, imagine me at your shoulder shaking my head and saying Nooooooo :):):)

I made a jelly that was in the cupboard and added some strained mixed fruit cocktail from aa battered tin that was also in the cupboard ,the fruit juice from the tin I drained off first and had as a drink, couldn't think what else to do with it I certainly wasn't going to throw it down the sink

What do the rest of you do with the drained juice :) I never buy tinned fruit in syrup as I don't really like it. JackieO xx

OK, it's a deal JackieO - you can be my official Jiminy Cricket when I'm in the sauces aisle! :D

I'm with you on the tinned fruit in juice rather than syrup. With the juice I do one of 3 things:

1) Use it as a drink (topped up with water or lemonade)
    2) Freeze as ice cubes (to add to water on a hot day - tastes a bit like the fruit flavoured bottles of water that you can buy in the sm but much cheaper
    3) Use it as part of the jelly. Make up the jelly with 1/2 pt boiling water, add the juice, then top up to 1pt with more boiling water if needed.

DGSs were here today and enjoyed their hm pizza. The 4-yr old "helped" - a bit messy but he was proud of his creations! I used sm pizza bases spread with tomato puree and topped with grated cheese, tomato, shredded ham, mushrooms and sweetcorn. Cost was around 80p per 12" pizza as opposed to £2.50-odd for sm ones. ;)

Dinner tonight is prawns, mussels (from freezer), crabsticks and sliced tomatoes on shredded crispy lettuce with hm wholemeal B&B. Marie Rose sauce isn't something we have very often so, rather than buy a jar that will hang around too long, I've made a cheat's version (ketchup, mayonnaise, Worc sauce, lemon juice and black pepper). Last of the strawberries and halved grapes with cream for pud. :):)

Enjoy the rest of the weekend LFHWers. xx
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I really must clear some space in my cupboards, thinking of making a use up box, using post it notes for fridge foods, as it`s raining today I will menu plan using stuff from cupboards, I too am guilty of buying packets because a bargain, packets of dried stuffing spring to mind, could use those as a crispy crumb on chops and chicken, then there`s chilli mixes, sausage casserole etc etc, and don`t start me on the jars of sauce too,

I will go away to think this through.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • FrugalinShropshire
    Options
    Morning all. May I join you on this fab thread please? I have been on a frugal journey for many years. I have lost my way a bit lately with the food shopping and cooking. We have spent the few months finishing the downstairs renovations and I finally have a finished working kitchen after 5 years! I also married my beloved partner last week and it feels different now being a wife to him. I want to really knuckle down again and stop wasting food or impulse buying. We had a very inexpensive wedding, just us and our children (my DS and his DS and DD) plus their partners. There are plenty of meal opportunities in the fridge and freezer so I just need to make a plan. I have enjoyed catching up with this thread, such a wealth of amazing help and advice.
    Now Mrs FrugalinShropshire:T Proud to be mortgage and debt free:j
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    York lass good idea to but the juice in ice cubes! I've only recently started buying tinned fruit ,I only get the ones in juice too. I get them because I run out of fruit ,veg, and salad before I need other shopping and if I can put off shopping a little longer I won't buy as much!
    So I use tinned fruit with yogurt when I run out. I don't have packet mixes in as they aren't usually gluten free,but I do have pasta sauce ,normally 2 in cupboard, and I use them over potatoes to make patatas bravas, then the rest of the jar for pasta . So about 4 meals from a jar of Lloyd GrOssman. I add extra chilli and fajita seasoning to it.
    Jackie I envy you having a meal at your quiz night, the one I go to does food but I can't eat it as it's not suitable for me being coeliac.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Welcome Mrs frugalin Shropshire. And congratulations!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    wort wrote: »
    I do have pasta sauce ,normally 2 in cupboard, and I use them over potatoes to make patatas bravas, then the rest of the jar for pasta . So about 4 meals from a jar of Lloyd GrOssman. I add extra chilli and fajita seasoning to it. .
    What a good idea, I have some potatoes this week by chance, I don`t buy them often.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    Congratulations frugalinshropshire!!!
    I'm trying to make room in the freezer. We've got lots of produce from the garden that needs to go in so need as much space as possible.
    I'm really lacking motivation at the moment. I just find some days I'm really struggling to decide what to cook. I would be happy having something simple but then there's always something that needs using up and I have to try and invent something to use it up.
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Congratulations on your wedding Mrs Frugalinshropshire!

I have 4 packets in my cupboard, all recently bought:- nandos lemon and herb chicken rub (everyone loves this, and its easy for guests, so I always keep a packet on hand), a nandos peri peri rub, and a packet of weightwatchers jerk chicken seasoning. All dated late 2019 or 2020.

I also signed up for a meal prep thing- only because it was £1 delivered for the flavourings for 4 meals for 4. However, if I were going to buy the lemongrass, sriracha and all the different herbs and spices that I wanted for one dish (and then mightn't use again before they went off) then it would have cost a lot more. I have one of those left to use.

I do have a lot of fajita spice to use though, so fajitas aplenty for us!

I made a kidney bean curry from the recipe on my BBC good food calender yesterday. I'd gotten the kidney beans on short date earlier this year and hadn't gotten round to using them. They were 800g tins 3 for £1. So my curry with rice will have worked out at much less than 50p a portion.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Anyone wanting to make easy peasy veggie Indian recipes? Go to Indian Sazbi recipes on you tube.They're so easy n delish :p
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport