Car enthusiasts, are they oddballs?

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Are any motor enthusiasts into cycling?

Are you a forum member on Pistonheads? Quite a few cycling enthusiasts over there
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    motorguy wrote: »
    Are you a forum member on Pistonheads? Quite a few cycling enthusiasts over there

Really maybe they'll gravitate towards this thread. I know they're not a fan of speed cameras.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,808 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Car enthusiasts disliking a device that penalises them for breaking the law, who'd have thought?!
  • motorguy
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Car enthusiasts disliking a device that penalises them for breaking the law, who'd have thought?!

?

I seem to be missing something here?

I personally have never protested on a forum or otherwise about speed cameras - and i dont think any motoring enthusiast on here or over on PH expects to be above the law?

I think they are often used for money making rather than safety but i'm not, as a motoring enthusiast expecting to be able to break the law just because i like cars.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    My interest in cars, especially classic cars, comes from many years of building, rebuilding, maintaining and repairing Classics of all types, as a workshop foreman. Long retired now at 73, but a life spent in such work has caused me to look for Classic Shows and visit, to enjoy the sight of old classics being cared for by enthusiasts.

If that makes me "weird or odd" in your estimation, then accept that there are many millions of us in the UK and abroad, so perhaps you may be just a little weird, odd and out of step yourself.

Why view the simple, harmless pleasures of another group of people, through the jaundiced eyes of your own prejudices?
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • motorguy
    edited 12 August 2018 at 8:04PM
    Robisere wrote: »
    My interest in cars, especially classic cars, comes from many years of building, rebuilding, maintaining and repairing Classics of all types, as a workshop foreman. Long retired now at 73, but a life spent in such work has caused me to look for Classic Shows and visit, to enjoy the sight of old classics being cared for by enthusiasts.

If that makes me "weird or odd" in your estimation, then accept that there are many millions of us in the UK and abroad, so perhaps you may be just a little weird, odd and out of step yourself.

Why view the simple, harmless pleasures of another group of people, through the jaundiced eyes of your own prejudices?

Theres a simple answer really, he likes to throw in little contentious hand grenades in to this forum, designed to spark a reaction.

They usually are either based on a polarised opinion to support his own life choices or age old (and sometimes sexist) stereotypes.

Whilst he witters on about resident motoring know-it-alls posting, the "big three" of contentious self justifying views are him, fred246 and westernpromise who all seem to have chips on their shoulders about people driving newer / nicer cars than them.

Isnt it funny that whilst they all preach on how well reconciled their life choices are they clearly have issues with what other people do and drive?

Sad really.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Are any motor enthusiasts into cycling?

I am, just back from a trip to the Nurburgring which unfortunately I can't do on a regular basis so cycling fills in the gaps, the thrill of hammering a bike on a fast trail is similar to driving on the track. Just hopefully a lot less expensive when I crash.

John
  • ginashamz
    ginashamz Posts: 199 Forumite
    I wouldn't call myself an enthusiast but I do own an "enthusiast" car with a unique engine. I also had a BMW M2 before it was regrettably written off. Not sure if its a physiological thing but I just feel more comfortable driving cars that have feedback with the road and ones that are more predictable around corners. I once had a lease car a Hyundai I20 and it was dreadful . The steering was incredibly numb and I felt no connection with the road or what direction the tyres were facing.
  • motorguy
    ginashamz wrote: »
    I wouldn't call myself an enthusiast but I do own an "enthusiast" car with a unique engine. I also had a BMW M2 before it was regrettably written off. Not sure if its a physiological thing but I just feel more comfortable driving cars that have feedback with the road and ones that are more predictable around corners. I once had a lease car a Hyundai I20 and it was dreadful . The steering was incredibly numb and I felt no connection with the road or what direction the tyres were facing.

I take it you've a replacement M2 coming as your car was brand new and thus would only be a month or two old?
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The number of those who post on here regularly would mean amending that to not everyone works!
    I they are at work and posting then their jobs must not be very demanding and/or their employers must be very understanding.
    • Some people here are retired and can post whenever they feel like it.
    • Some people are self-employed/ freelance and decide when they work.
    • Some people may work nights or shifts or irregularly.

As to the topic...MovingForwards has pretty much nailed it. There are also some who focus on the MSE front and love bangernomics; others who enjoy driving and want best value for what they spend on it. There are a few who like the excuse to show off their knowledge (which may be over-rated) or push their favourite agenda but you get a bit of that in almost any forum.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure