Car enthusiasts, are they oddballs?

Options

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ginashamz wrote: »
    No disrespect to any forum users here but judging by the crowd of users, they all seem boring and just want an A-B car. Safe to say I probably own the most exciting, fastest car here compared to the bog standard FWD corsa's or miserable mondeos everyone here seems to own

Your RX-8 PZ?

Interesting? Yes

Fastest on here? No ;)
  • motorguy
    Options
    fred990 wrote: »
    Really! A nice Mercedes based motorhome and you might be right.

Sticking two sleeping bags in the back of a van doesnt make it a motorhome :rotfl:
    If you want my advice - don't do it, it's very addictive!
    I wandered into a VW dealer, looked at a very blingy two month old lwb T5 and came out £26k lighter. Have had it for four years and only use it in the summer for exactly the reason you're looking and it's brilliant. Basic yes but you can make it very cosy/comfortable and then use it as a 'van' later. Best toy/gadget ever and can't imagine being without it.
    Beats twice the money on a camper. If the car goes bang I'd happily use it as the replacement.
  • motorguy
    Options

You boasted about your 10 000+ thanks early on (is that a humblebrag?)

No it was a statement of fact.

You compare me to westernpromises who I observe has a far higher thanks/post ratio than you currently enjoy. No need to do the numbers I've done them for you:

Wp: 1.297 per post
    You: 0.598 per post

So question time again(!).

Is this correlation relevant? If not precisely why not?
    If not why is your 'thanks' count at all relevant?

Cogent answers only please.

PS. Funny/witty/sarcastic is good. Prickly/tetchy not so..:)

As has been said, i cant really compare myself to a user who got himself banned.

In fairness he did have the odd interesting post that got him the odd "thanks".

Likewise i dont always get "thanked" for my posts. It is not my reason d'etre on here.

Just glad i can be of help to people :)
  • motorguy
    Options
    Which one and why from a pounds/enjoyment would you choose?

For me, in terms of fun per pound?

MX5.

Great drivers car.

Great fun.

One to suit every budget.
  • fred990
    fred990 Posts: 379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    For me, in terms of fun per pound?

MX5.

Great drivers car.

Great fun.

One to suit every budget.

Apart from the fact it's tiny and looks like a hairdressers car (Clarkson?).

Real world daily driving why would it be 'better' than say the Golf R? Golf R estate, 4wd, gizmo's, DSG, blah blah.

An MX-5 would have to be a second car/toy, what does it do that the golf/perf audi's don't? Cheaper I guess.......
    Funnily, i've been pondering a small Caddy sized van to facilitate a side project i'm going to work on. I havent seen much movement yet, but in theory markets like pickups and vans are likely to be hit by the upcoming downturn.
    Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience?

Why? So you can argue with them?
  • ginashamz
    ginashamz Posts: 199 Forumite
    Options
    The RX8 shares the same chassis and transmission as the MX-5 although slightly stiffer and up rated. RX8 is also more powerful with a 231BHP engine compared to the 160BHP MX5.

MX5 is probably a lot more cheaper the run and probably more reliable. Not sure if it has an LSD though?
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ginashamz wrote: »
    The RX8 shares the same chassis and transmission as the MX-5 although slightly stiffer and up rated. RX8 is also more powerful with a 231BHP engine compared to the 160BHP MX5.

MX5 is probably a lot more cheaper the run and probably more reliable. Not sure if it has an LSD though?

Give it a rest dark matter.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The amount of heated argument and opposing, contentious opinions about cars and their owners here, really amuses me. I have owned, driven and tested so may different cars in my working and day to day life, it is interesting that so many people choose to defend their own piece of automotive engineering with such passion. I mean, the damned things deteriorate and depreciate as soon as you get them down the road.

I now drive a Motability Hyundai iX20 and I love it: 6 speed auto, 24 valve twin cam, 125 BHP. Small, maneuverable and does exactly what I need from a car.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Robisere wrote: »
    The amount of heated argument and opposing, contentious opinions about cars and their owners here, really amuses me. I have owned, driven and tested so may different cars in my working and day to day life, it is interesting that so many people choose to defend their own piece of automotive engineering with such passion. I mean, the damned things deteriorate and depreciate as soon as you get them down the road.

I now drive a Motability Hyundai iX20 and I love it: 6 speed auto, 24 valve twin cam, 125 BHP. Small, maneuverable and does exactly what I need from a car.
    So what's your point?
  • motorguy
    edited 20 August 2018 at 3:37PM
    Options

Apart from the fact it's tiny and looks like a hairdressers car (Clarkson?).

Nope. He rates them as 5/5. Review here on latest version

https://www.mazda-romford.co.uk/news/jeremy-clarkson-hands-out-a-rare-5-star-rating-to-the-2016-mazda-mx-5/

He rates the previous version five stars here

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/clarksons-five-star-cars-part-2-2009-2015/

The newest version is small, but thats a design decision. The older cars were bigger but the earliest version is my favourite.

Real world daily driving why would it be 'better' than say the Golf R? Golf R estate, 4wd, gizmo's, DSG, blah blah.

Then thats a different question. You asked about fun per pound. Theres an MX5 for every budget. I've owned them from as little as £700. Had 5 i think in total.
    They always put a smile on your face when driving them.

An MX-5 would have to be a second car/toy, what does it do that the golf/perf audi's don't? Cheaper I guess.......

Its a more fun car to drive. Handles great, intuitive, nicely balanced. Not too fast, not too slow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure