Car enthusiasts, are they oddballs?

Options

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ginashamz wrote: »
    I was told I was "stupid" to buy my M2 and another so called 'sports' car which is the RX8. both are RWD, have LSDs and in the £550 tax bracket returning 25mpg at best. Both are expensive to run and maintain and aren't practical. Why should i be bullied and abused into what others believe is the 'right' car?

But you nearly went down the practical route with the IS. ;)
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But you nearly went down the practical route with the IS. ;)

Sadly the M2 was written off.... :eek:
  • motorguy
    Options
    fred990 wrote: »
    How about just typing the answer?

You've wasted more time going off on tangents!
    :rotfl:,now look what you made me do......

This thread has crashed and burned almost as spectacularly as westernpromises cruise control thread.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5879895&highlight=cruise+control

Its good when the wind up merchants get a taste of their own medicine.

:T
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    The number of those who post on here regularly would mean amending that to not everyone works!
    I they are at work and posting then their jobs must not be very demanding and/or their employers must be very understanding.

Being the boss means I delegate an awful lot;)

Most enthusiasts can appear a bit odd.

Until you find yourself the only one in the room not into X, at which point the oddball is the odd one out.

I like the eccentrics & enthusiasts of this world - their passion is a warm & bright highlight in an otherwise blandly same-old-same-old world.

Absolutely, be it pigeons, clouds or a car (vintage, sports, whatever). I used to have a pet Volvo tractor unit for a while.

Obviously being a lady I bought it purely because I liked the maroon colour it was painted in.......:rotfl:
  • Soulginge
    Soulginge Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    The mouth speaks what the heart is full of. Anyone who has a large amount of knowledge and passion about something is seen as odd when that knowledge and passion comes spewing uncontrollably at someone who doesn't share it.
  • motorguy
    Options
    fred990 wrote: »
    In your opinion of course.....

Just because some of us don't 'get' the quasi-religious cult of car worship don't get all butt hurt about it. It's a genuine wonder? Am I missing something?

I agree on reflection some of my 'enquiries' are a bit clumsy (one finger typing in front of the tv and not proof reading!), but so do others. The audi driver thing was a classic, my next car will almost certainly be an audi, bothered? No.

I'm not at all hurt about it, just surprised that you seem very happy to use your own prejudiced view and stereotypes to judge and define other people?

For example, you bought a year old van for cash to drive even though you dont need it for work.

If i were to adapt your rationale of "well i dont understand it therefore that person is odd and i will apply stereoptypes as to why" :-
    • I would consider that very oddball
    • i could only conclude you're a member of the travelling community and are correctly parked up with a caravan in tow with your extended family in a council car park somewhere as we speak.

Fortunately i'm not that narrow minded. :)
  • westernpromise
    Options
    Anyone who's an Audi "enthusiast" is more than an oddball, they have a personality disorder on the psychopathy spectrum.
  • motorguy
    Options
    Anyone who's an Audi "enthusiast" is more than an oddball, they have a personality disorder on the psychopathy spectrum.

Could be worse - they could own a Honduh CRV.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options

How's the Dacia bud? Does travelling in Eastern Europeans answer to luxury give you much pleasure?
  • motorguy
    edited 16 August 2018 at 6:19PM
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    How's the Dacia bud? Does travelling in Eastern Europeans answer to luxury give you much pleasure?

You're kidding??? :eek:

A Dacia and a Honduh CRV automatic.

No wonder he has an inferiority complex!

:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport