Car enthusiasts, are they oddballs?

Options
fred990
fred990 Posts: 379 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
Been reading this forum for a few months and made the occasional post which was flamed by the resident motoring know-it-alls who post at 0243! Got accused of making stuff up by 'motorboy/nerd/buddy' whatever his name is but the absolute best hilarious read thread has just been closed!
'Rip off' garages had Donald Trump, Brexit, Muslims and more!
Godwin's law or what?
So, are car obsessives a bit weird/odd?
Discuss...... nothing to do with cyclists or speed cameras please.
Funnily, i've been pondering a small Caddy sized van to facilitate a side project i'm going to work on. I havent seen much movement yet, but in theory markets like pickups and vans are likely to be hit by the upcoming downturn.
Would be interesting to hear if anyone has direct experience?

Why? So you can argue with them?

Comments

• Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I think any one that has an "obsession" for a particular thing will be classed as an oddball by those that do not share/understand their enthusiasm. (Think train spotters)
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe it's those who post on internet forums who are oddballs?

Not me tho I'm totally normal, just ask my polar bear.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As for the posting at 0243, not everyone works days.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    There are people who see vehicles as an A - Z item.

There are people who see vehicles as a hobby and look to tinker/fix them themselves rather than paying someone.

There are people who get deeper into their hobby, modify their car, chat with like minded people, meet up, go to shows.

Same with many things in life. It is easy for the first person not to understand the second/third person and vice versa.

Now, change it from vehicles to food, or gardening or pretty much anything else and there will always be people who see it as one thing, others that get more involved and others that turn it into a big hobby.

Is it really anyones concern? Wouldn't life be so boring if we all shared only one hobby/interest....
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • oldagetraveller
    Options
    Tarambor wrote: »
    As for the posting at 0243, not everyone works days.

The number of those who post on here regularly would mean amending that to not everyone works!
    I they are at work and posting then their jobs must not be very demanding and/or their employers must be very understanding.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are any motor enthusiasts into cycling?
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,165 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fred990 wrote: »
    Been reading this forum for a few months and made the occasional post which was flamed by the resident motoring know-it-alls who post at 0243! Got accused of making stuff up by 'motorboy/nerd/buddy' whatever his name is but the absolute best hilarious read thread has just been closed!
    Godwin's law or what?
    I think speed cameras should be calibrated to catch cyclists going too slow.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Options
    fred990 wrote: »
    Godwin's law or what?

For the avoidance of doubt
    • I didnt "accuse" you of making stuff up i said i suspected you put your own skewed slant on it to make your point (which lets be honest you're doing again)
    • I dont recall personally ever posting at 02:43.
    • Some people who post on here work nights.
    • Some people who post on here work in other countries / timezones.
    • If some people do post at that time its their prerogative, irrespective of the reason.

And relative to car enthusiasts.
    • Some are obsessed with cars, some arent.
    • Some like new shiny cars, some like older cars, some like classics.
    • Some are nerds, some arent.

Personally, i comment on threads where i think i can help (hence the 10,000+ thanks) - its usually on cars, computers, technology consumer rights, holidays, employment, finance - and on threads where people are frankly wrong, being obtuse or deliberately contentious.

The latter group being what you usually do (and are doing now)
  • motorguy
    Options
    There are people who see vehicles as an A - Z item.

There are people who see vehicles as a hobby and look to tinker/fix them themselves rather than paying someone.

There are people who get deeper into their hobby, modify their car, chat with like minded people, meet up, go to shows.

Same with many things in life. It is easy for the first person not to understand the second/third person and vice versa.

Now, change it from vehicles to food, or gardening or pretty much anything else and there will always be people who see it as one thing, others that get more involved and others that turn it into a big hobby.

Is it really anyones concern? Wouldn't life be so boring if we all shared only one hobby/interest....

+1

I wholly agree with that. Some people just want something to get them from A to B as cheaply as possible. Thats their prerogative. I dont mind that. I dont view them as "wrong"

Its bemusing though when you've people like the O/P who believe if you dont have their particular view then you are wrong and must be weird or an oddball.
  • motorguy
    edited 12 August 2018 at 1:42PM
    Options
    The number of those who post on here regularly would mean amending that to not everyone works!
    I they are at work and posting then their jobs must not be very demanding and/or their employers must be very understanding.

Speaking personally, i do work, i'm not in a particularly stressful job (in fact not at all stressful), i'm paid for what i know, not what i do (ie, i'm not paid to produce 100 spriggots an hour on a production line or whatever), and the work comes in peaks and troughs so at times i can kick back and other times i'm busy.

I've reached the fortunate position in life whereby i dont have to kill myself to earn a living but am very well paid for what i do. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure