Self help thread. I am a widow coping getting on with it

Options

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I went to acupuncture today......so going to take it easy now. It is working but the actual treatments do wipe me out.

Kittie. Wouldn't it be nice if just now and then we had someone to make us a cuppa and a snack......

It's the little things I miss........ the back rubs, the cuppas, snuggling up on The sofa, him watching football, me reading. Sitting out in the garden, him doing the crossword, me reading or a bit of needlework. The Impromptu days out.......even supermarket trips were fun when we went together. He could make even the most boring task or outing enjoyable.

He was so full of fun and mischief, so full of joire de vie. Without him Life does lack fun at times now. As one of his friends said, when he died the world suddenly became a greyer place.

And, as I read recently.......when you lose your life's partner .....

Every. Single. Thing. Changes.
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LL

I miss him doing family geneology on the big monitor while I read or browsed on the laptop with the pint and a half mug of tea he loved, the enthusiasm with which he observed the chickens and which of them was laying the double yolked eggs and the way he would wind up cold callers by telling them he could make the product himself!

I even miss looking up calories in desserts etc and putting them back because they did not have enough to build him up.

DDs are very good about making me tea or soft drinks whenever they visit but it is not the same as me and DH relaxing with a cuppa and our feet up.

Older dd phoned and had a nice chat but no sign of baby making an entrance so far. I have offered to put up her MIL and FIL and DH's sister when they drive up to visit once the baby arrives so will make sure I have the fridge stocked up etc.

Have just realised it was one o'clock and I had not eaten so had a large brunch of bacon, egg, sausages and toast and might have something light like smoked salmon and bagels for tonight with plenty of soft drinks.

The new fan for upstairs has just arrived so I will unpack it and take it up. The new mattress topper arrived this morning and I managed to lug the double bed size thing upstairs, unpack it and lay it on top of the bed to expand !

Hugs to all
  • Blackcatsreturns
    Options
    I miss the first cup of tea in bed he brought me each and every day until he absolutely couldn't do it any more. We swapped roles then and I brought up the tea for him and we both knew, without saying out loud, that the end was coming.
    However, on a lighter note I don't miss the strict rules and regulations about the dishwasher - thorough cleaning of every item before it was loaded and strict protocol for stacking and loading. I smile to myself each time I do it my way but of course I'd gladly swop my rebellious freedom if he was here to enforce his standards .... so many things to miss
  • shabbychic12
    Options
    Blackcatsreturn - this post resonated with me and made me laugh and cry as my DH did the same tea every morning and we argued about the dishwasher loading. It's just not the same now. His other job was putting out the bins on a Tuesday and even now 3.5 years on l curse him for not being here to put them out.
    Count down to retirement 2023
  • Blackcatsreturns
    Options
    Hello Shabbychic - sorry if I upset you but sounds like we have similar memories. Bins were another poignant task for me too. Who knew that dustbins could be so emotive. Our bin day was Monday so on Sunday evening OH and the neighbours would put the bins out and have a chat together. After OH died my lovely neighbour took on the task for me. He didnt ask or make a fuss just did it as well as cutting the grass on the shared verge outside our houses. They are 2 quite small tasks but they were very definitely OH's tasks so it was so thoughtful and kind of my neighbour and I'm still grateful for that kindness.
  • shabbychic12
    shabbychic12 Posts: 315 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 26 July 2018 at 10:59PM
    Options
    It's those little jobs that l miss him for most funny isn't it. Considering l did all the cooking, cleaning and diy - and still do lol- l think a cup of tea and putting the bins out wasnt much to ask for and now l have to do them as well. DD sometimes remembers to make a cup of tea but the bins are a no go.
    Count down to retirement 2023
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    :eek::eek:Why has kittie been PPR'd?
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Blackcatsreturns
    Options
    What does PPR'd mean?
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Posting Privileges Removed - banned, in other words.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • mrsyardbroom
    mrsyardbroom Posts: 1,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I lost my husband last Saturday and it's still very raw. I miss the little things too. Just now the dogs heard a car door slam and they thought it was him coming home. They looked so disappointed when no-one came. It's awful. The worst experience of my life but I know I have to carry on no matter how much I wanted to go with him on that journey. Please tell me it gets a bit better.
    Don't mess with pensioners. :cool:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure