I fitted a Dimplex Quantum heater!

Options

Comments

• standinline82
    Options
    oldcyclist wrote: »
    Based on what I've learned recently (and reported here)

1. Make sure that any Q heaters you buy are Version G (or later!)

3. Although Version G no longer has a "user option" timer setting , the "Out all Day" and "IN all day" timings are easily editable to suit your requirements. (Either all days the same, or every day different as required) Unexpected heat requirements can easily be input using the "Comfort ON/OFF" and temperature settings.Expect the units to take a few days to stabilise initially as the software "learns" your average needs.

I have just purchased 3x Series G models (2x QM150 and 1x QM070) and I'm bitterly disappointed that they do not have the User Timer, I would urge others to look out for their previous versions (older stock), that still have this very useful feature.

It's awful not having the User Timer, the heaters need a lot more user input to keep them in the correct mode, forgetting to change them ends up being costly. I'm annoyed because until I pointed it out, the function was still being shown on the Dimplex website and on Electric Point's website too (where I purchased them from). I'm currently in a dispute with both parties.

Be sure you research the 'Series G' Quantum's models carefully before purchasing. Many of the reviews on here are referring the the older models that have more flexibility.
  • Afourteen
    Options
    I installed one into the rented property I own following guidance from the Energy Performance assessor to replace an old 'basic' one. The night storage radiator was/is used as 'background' heating in the centre of the building with the primary heating coming from a Gas fire.
    To put it mildly both I and the tenants are disappointed now it's been switched on. Input is totally uncontrollable. The supplied 'blurb' says the case will be 'cool' to the touch - it most certainly isn't! - the skin tempeture is hotter than hand hot but yes, you can hold your hand on it, just. The tennant has it set to 'Out All Day' and the room never gets cold. He tells me the fan works first thing in the morning and sometimes at night.
    The most concerning item is the running cost, presently about 100% more than the previous NSH of the same input loading (3.2KW).

To Be Honest if the running costs do not reduce once the machine has completed it's 'learning' cycle it looks like I'm going to have to compensate the tennant for the extra costs incurred.
  • mrlee
    mrlee Posts: 54 Forumite
    Options
    Afourteen wrote: »
    To put it mildly both I and the tenants are disappointed now it's been switched on. Input is totally uncontrollable. The supplied 'blurb' says the case will be 'cool' to the touch - it most certainly isn't! - the skin tempeture is hotter than hand hot but yes, you can hold your hand on it, just. The tennant has it set to 'Out All Day' and the room never gets cold. He tells me the fan works first thing in the morning and sometimes at night.

We have a QM150 & the case never feels hot. We do have it set to home all day but I can’t see that making a difference.

Is the size of the heater the right size for the room? What is the temperature set on? If the fan is working morning & night it sounds like it’s following the ‘out all day’ program ok.

We’ve been pleased with ours. The room has high ceilings & is open plan so in truth I’d have liked to spec a bigger heater... Hope yours settles down for you and your tenant.
  • robbill
    Options
    Has anybody figured out what the "Report" information all means? I'm not sure if this is available on all versions - I have the latest series G.

So far, I reckon the following:

A - model data?
    B - charge target (core temp in C)
    C - room temp | minimum room temp since last charge?
    D - ?
    E - current thermostat value | last thermostat value
    F - core temp? | lowest core temp?
    G - ?
    H - yesterday's charge target | two days previous charge target

What d'ya reckon?

Rob
  • jon-jonxyz
    Options
    I took delivery of 3 quantum heaters and 2 Q-Rads a week and half ago and now they've settled in they're working really well. This thread was a massive help in me deciding to go with them to replace the old storage heaters there previously so thanks to all who've contributed.

In the spirit of giving something back, i've just come off the phone with a nice lady at Dimplex who explained what all the lines in the report mean...so here's the details:

From standby push in the dial, the number in brackets is the minutes charged last night.

In the report:
    A - seasonal band / ?? / extra hours charge set / [RTC calibration] (this lot seems to be mainly for fault finding)
    B - Run time in mins for today
    C - Room temp now / room temp at last midnight
    D - Programmed heat hours (eg: 11 if Home All Day / 7.5 if Out All Day)
    E - Temp set on dial / temp set on dial at last midnight
    F - current core temp / core temp at last midnight
    G - room temp target adaption function mins / fan duty runtime in mins / core residual energy temp of bricks (she was a bit fuzzy on these, it sounded like her documentation wasn't well written!)
    H - runtime history average (yesterday / day before)

Hope that's helpful!

My experience got off to a shaky start, the heaters were fitted just before the cold snap. So the first couple of days of use it was -5 outside. And the two big Quantums struggled to keep the living room above 18 degrees all day, and ran out of heat entirely by about 7pm, which wasn't great. A few days later though and everything seems to have settled down. It's now above zero outside which helps, but the quantums have been keeping the rooms at a steady 21 degrees, and the bedroom Q-Rads haven't had to kick in at all for the past couple of days, as the residual heat from the hallway Quantum has done the job.
  • Zakariah
    Options
    RMM282 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    If you are on Economy 10 with storage heating then it is highly recommended that you try to switch from this - it is not designed for storage heating at all.

I've just read all of this thread and there's some interesting stuff but I don't understand the comment that E10 is not suitable for night storage heaters?
    That's the tariff I'm on and I'm going to fit night storage soon - just deciding whether to fit Dimplex Quantum or the newer XLE range.
    I was thinking that E10 would be a better tariff as there are three off-peak periods so less chance of the heater using all it's stored heat before the evening when it is wanted?
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Zakariah wrote: »
    I've just read all of this thread and there's some interesting stuff but I don't understand the comment that E10 is not suitable for night storage heaters?
    That's the tariff I'm on and I'm going to fit night storage soon - just deciding whether to fit Dimplex Quantum or the newer XLE range.
    I was thinking that E10 would be a better tariff as there are three off-peak periods so less chance of the heater using all it's stored heat before the evening when it is wanted?

Does this thread not say that Quantum are NOT storage heaters??
  • Zakariah
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    Does this thread not say that Quantum are NOT storage heaters??
    I'm not with you? The thread is about Quantum storage heaters - of course they are storage heaters and the thread does not say they aren't?
  • MarKow
    Options
    My heating tariff is radio controlled, so the heater will be charging automatically at certain times of the day only.
    My question is: how to set up the output to be able to use that heat?

Is anyone able to give me a clue please?
  • Suv
    Suv Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    Hi, how do you know if you have 50% stored heat remaining? Also the instruction book says the boost function only uses the heating element not stored heat ?
    Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure