We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Tesco Bank

Options

Comments

• TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Out of interest has anyone managed to discuss the prospect of a refund of call charges with Tesco?

I was following their instructions to call them as they needed to speak to me urgently. My online account shows I spent 170 minutes connected to their number yesterday. This shows as a cost of £0.00 online because it is part of my November inclusive minutes. However based on my normal usage I will go over my inclusive minutes by the end of this month. The additional minutes will be charged at 45p/minute. I won't actually go over by 170 minutes but if I did the cost would be approx £75!

As the need to call could have been avoided by better communication by Tesco, and in the end seems to have been completely unnecessary as the person who answered just took my name and said someone would ring me back (which hasn't happened), I think it is reasonable to ask Tesco to make a contribution to whatever I am charged for exceeding my inclusive minutes this month.

I will probably send a letter rather than racking up more call charges but just wondered if anyone had already raised this?
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    I seem to have been unaffected:

Current balance: £3,000.01
    Available balance: £3,000.01

I only opened the account a few days back to receive some Santander123 money so I wonder if it is hack on the bank itself, if my account was opened after the security breach?
  • TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    bxboards wrote: »
    I seem to have been unaffected:

Current balance: £3,000.01
    Available balance: £3,000.01

I only opened the account a few days back to receive some Santander123 money so I wonder if it is hack on the bank itself, if my account was opened after the security breach?

Have you received and activated your card?

My view based on information available is that there has been a direct attack on Tesco Bank or a third party contacted to supply services to Tesco Bank.

Evidence to support this:
    1) The attack seems to have been limited to Tesco customers which tends to rule out a retailer compromise
    2) People are reporting that cards which have never been used or left their house have been affected, again this rules out a retailer compromise
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    TheBanker wrote: »
    Have you received and activated your card?

Yes, I got the card about a week ago and activated it online.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    did anyone catch the (sloppy) news story saying the attack was possibly from information obtained from skimming devices attached to Tesco Bamk cash machines? - Yeah cause no one who banks anywhere else ever uses Tesco machines do they, or the scammers would decide to only target the Tesco account holders because they once ate a horsemeat pie or something ...
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Options
    I've had the generic text now but no need to phone tesco. In any case if there was fraud on an account Tesco should phone the account holder first, not the other way round.

Notice Tesco Clubcard had a security breach in 2013 with vouchers being stolen online.

This fraud seems to be online too, couldn't really be anything else logically, only Tesco accounts affected, i.e. data breach.

Just let Tesco get on with sorting it out. Don't panic.
  • worldtraveller
    worldtraveller Posts: 14,012 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Tesco Bank has halted online payments for current account customers after money was taken from 20,000 accounts.

The bank's chief executive Benny Higgins told the BBC he was "very hopeful" customers would be refunded within 24 hours.

About 40,000 accounts saw suspicious transactions over the weekend, of which half had money taken, he said.

Customers will still be able to use their cards for cash withdrawals, chip and pin payments, and bill payments.

They can also use online banking, but cannot make online transactions until the situation is back under control, Mr Higgins told the BBC's Today programme.

BBC News
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When they say they halted online payments for current account customers, they must mean they suspended the use of debit cards for online payments. I have just made a payment from one of my affected Tesco current accounts to a Nationwide account. The money arrived almost instantly.
  • brianh
    brianh Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    I got 2 texts in middle of night saying online transactions suspended.
    Having already moved money out, now fairly relaxed but it still looks a mess and I think Tesco need to come out quick with what they know so that people can understand the vulnerabilities.

From what we can deduce, it still seems to be card related fraud rather direct online account fraud. Maybe the online transaction suspension is more to do with the impact on their cashflow.
  • alanwsg
    alanwsg Posts: 774 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had the "online transactions suspended" text as well, but they're not - I was able to transfer money to another bank this morning.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure