Options

Comments

• MrJester
    MrJester Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    >12 Months
    wooooooooo

just checked my bank balances this morning, and whilst I am almost broke in my current account, my barclaycard has dropped to near £50! the !!!!!!s just added interest on the balance, right in good time before the MBNA card automatically transferred the full balance off. Sneaky !!!!!!!s!

but hey, when payday comes around ill pay off that amount on the barclaycard then CLOSE IT! maybe sooner if I can help it! I can probably just BT the £50 onto the MBNA too, although it may be £100 minimum I forget.

but hey it looks like I'm definitely getting my MBNA card in the post this week, it probably arrived today. woo

then ill be paying that off at 0% :O! and then it will just take maybe a tad longer to get the halifax BT'd onto another 0%! then we will be away!! and no interest ever again!!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    YES! This is such fantastic news, to look at where you were like 2 months ago to now is a fantastic improvement! :) Woohoo! No more horrendous interest payments on than horrible Bcard!
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    YES! This is such fantastic news, to look at where you were like 2 months ago to now is a fantastic improvement! :) Woohoo! No more horrendous interest payments on than horrible Bcard!

huge difference isnt it, shocking what finally getting on the electoral roll properly, and getting lucky with a chunk of money to pay toward a card can do. i just needed that break, and it came for me.

i today went online to my barclaycard and reduced the limit to £200. which it let me do instantly, no surprises there. I might need to keep it temporarily to cover some costs, but most likely come payday I'll be able to just get rid of it altogether.

I want to have a CC that I can actually spend on each month if I want/need to - and just set it to pay off in full. So alongside finding a final BT CC, I'll be on the lookout for a purchases CC for some credit rebuilding and as a backup. But the limit is going to be something like £200 if I can help it, refusing any increases. £200 is a fair amount that if I even went to that limit I could pay it off on a payday and still be ok (I'd set it to pay off in full each month).
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    Morning. I think its time for a snowball update, using the calc and my current cards setup I should only end up paying just under £300 in interest paying them off in this way:
    https://gyazo.com/a35eeb6e864e29e842364f3555e72307

This will start a month earlier (September pay cheque, next weekend) though.

I plan to keep a hold of my Barclaycard for now, limit is £200. I'm using it right now because I have simply run out of money after having a bit of a spendy month. I need that kind of buffer zone. Eventually I'll look into finding a good cash back purchases card to replace it - but my priority will be getting a balance transfer card for the Halifax card when possible.
    Going to set barclaycard to pay off in full as a direct debit, just waiting on some pending transactions to clear which I'm unsure of.
    The snowball above is likely also to increase in what I pay off the barclaycard this month because of me having to use it right now - but hey just got to get through to payday on friday and try to spend as little as possible.

Gotta stay focused here, I now have 4 cards in total, one more than previously. But as soon as I get rid of the Capital One then I'll be where I want to be, so should be all good before christmas. Then around christmas or new year, look to getting another BT card if possible.
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    I worked out too that my new MBNA card only does minimum payments, or pay in full via direct debit. Hah, funny little !!!!!!s aren't they? Nevertheless, I'll just keep an eye out for when my payment due date comes in, then I'll let the minimum payment do its thing and when it comes time (see snowball calc above) I'll setup a standing order to it to pay extra.

This month paycheque will seem like just paying off the Barclaycard to bring it back to £0. But I'm going to try throw at the CapitalOne with any extra incomings, as I really want rid of that ASAP(!) and then everything will be clearer and I will have officially got rid of one card completely.. Then operation 0% the Halifax card will come into effect.
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    Got home last night and was feeling crappy and just wanted an easy takeaway or something. But I refrained. Went into the cupboards and I had just defrosted some chicken so I had that, and found a tin of chopped tomatoes and one green pepper, some dry pasta, and a bunch of herbs. Cook it all up and stew the chicken in the tomato for a while and I had some kind of chicken casserole - it was pretty darn good.

So far this week have just been spending £3 on barclaycard for lunches, though will likely have to buy something to eat tonight. I was invited out last night too but i gave it a miss, dont want to just be completely behind again the same time of next month.

Lovely weather today.. not.

I still have not heard back from the Ombudsman, sent them two follow up emails aswell. Ugh, I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and sit on hold for probably ages trying to get through to them one evening, maybe tonight. They're as bad as barclays atm.
    Might have to also bite another bullet and pay barclays £10 to give me a list of transactions from the time period im complaining about, they havent asked for proof yet but i know someone will at some point.
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    surprise surprise finally get an email from ombudsman, gave them a quick ring and only now FINALLY are they going to be looking into the case and escalating because barclays have made no attempts to contact me. but now ombudsman should tell them again to respond, and they have another 8 weeks to respond.. bleh will get there eventually with that, put it on the back burner.. could be some extra dosh to put towards debts though.

two more days till pay day!! so much stuff i need agh, i can never afford anything though.. this is why i need to start working on bringing in extra income.

in other news initial interview for a job next week, which is good! a potential 1k increase.. but any which way if they're cool people and the work sounds interesting then id take the same wage again probably ha - i just desperately need a change.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well done on refraining on the whole takeaway front! I did the same last night, had some ready meal mac & cheese in the freezer so me and boyfriend cooked it up and put bacon and kale in it to make it more appealing! It was actually alright and was £2.50 each instead of the cost of a takeaway each!

Sounds like you might be finally getting there with the ombudsman, baby steps! They do take so long as they deal with everything in turn, I had to wait ages for a resolution to my issues with Vodafone.. it was painful!!

So jealous your payday is 2 days away, mine isn’t for 8! Roll on the 25th!

From your plan it sounds sensible to pay off your capital one first, then chuck the rest at your Barclaycard no? Or am I just crazy and confusing your cards? As your other debt is now 0.00% you can just leave it to sit there (bar the minimum payment which will be a matter of £’s rather than ££’s) until you’ve cleared the other 3 so I definitely agree there, by that point you’ll probably be able to balance transfer to a different 0.00% and balance transfer your halifax over as well at that point for another long spell of 0.00%!
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    haha I stabbed myself in the foot here I got a takeaway last night :P a big chinese order but its so big it feeds me twice, got meals up until sat now. but yeah its great to just throw things together and try new things, makes it interesting and often cheap.

yeah well at least now ombudsman are going to do something. just getting them to say "yeah ok we'll get involved" has taken months. ill just leave it on the back burner and check it every so often, cant be bothered with letting it annoy me ha.

yes I've just had a thought that I want to get rid of the capital one almost immediately, because its less than £200 now and i can pay that in full. but I need to be able to rely on my barclaycard, and I've already racked up over £100 on that.. I'm going to have to ring barclaycard and ask if I can increase it to £400. this way, I will get rid of the capital one immediately, and the extra on the barclaycard will be there incase I need to use it seeing as I'll have less cash after paying off the capone.
    the interest is less on the barclaycard after all (by a % or two), and I plan to keep using it for the time being anyway because I need the safety net.

I'm out for a work thing tonight but if i get back in good time, or tomorrow, I'll give barclaycard a ring - ask for £400 then I'll be golden to pay off the capone immediately and close it and get rid of it forever!
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    quick update rang barclaycard to ask for £400 credit limit, said it has to be sent to a decision maker basically I believe and will hear back within 48 hours.

might not get it but my fault i shouldn't have decreased the limit so drastically after the balance transfer. if i do get it it will just speed things up for me as i can just pay off the capital one card immediately and the barclaycard will be there incase i need the backup for now.

happy weekend!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport