PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2014 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We've got a taste for Tex-Mex and "Southern" cookin as hubby is from Texas. We love quesadillas, enchiladas/enchilada casserole, fajitas,

Please could you share your recipes (especially the seasonings) for the above dishes. I absolutely love cheese enchiladas but have never been able to recreate the seasoning and I can't have the el paso packet one as it is not gluten free. The casserole sounds good too.

Many thanks :)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • dingdongsaving
    Options
    Oh yes, bread may drive him nuts by the end of a long day too! :) I always have to make sure hubby has leftovers on our lighter lunch tea days or he'd behaving none of it too!:rotfl:

Sure thing on the seasonings...
    We love cheese enchiladas too! So naughty but soooo delicious!

For the casserole & enchiladas I use one of my mil's family recipes and just cover the wraps in more sauce if it's to be baked like a casserole. Either way, it's very "stodgy" and satisfying when it's cold outside.

For the sauce I mix 1 tin of chopped toms & 3 t sp of spicy seasoning (sometimes I use Tony Chacheres & sometimes Slap Ya Mama & sometimes a batch I've made up...just depends what I picked up last time we were there & if we've run out...hehe, or if big or little people who aren't used to my spicy mix are coming to eat with us!) I warm that tomato mix through in a small milk pan and add tom puree, 2 tbsp milk and a tbsp flour to make it a bit creamier but still "thick".

As it's warmed I zap whatever type of tortillas I'm using in the m/wave & dip them in the sauce before filling them with whatever we fancy...any combo of cheese, rice, chicken, mince, steak, refried beans, olives, sweetcorn etc.

Then, just line them up in a dish (I spray it with oil to stop the tortillas sticking) and cover with the rest of the sauce & cheese & chilli flakes before baking @ 200 isn until hot/bubbly.

(For enchiladas it's just the tortillas dipped in the sauce and for the enchilada casserole I make double the sauce so that I can really bury them and make them soggy).

So easy...and if you're not one for pre-mixed spices you can always make your own. We use chilli, paprika, garlic, cumin, onion powder, salt, pepper, thyme & salt...roughly 1/4 to 1/2 a tsp of each with only a pinch of salt would do it for 1 batch (with chili to taste).

Hope you find it tasty. I'm sure there's lots of recipe ideas online too we've just always used this as it's what hubby grew up eating. It's just like his fav. local restaurant at home too. He always makes sure we squeeze in a trip there when we visit! :T

Hope that all makes sense! There were 2 nappy changes in the middle of it! Haha!
  • barneydee_2
    Options
    Hi just a quick post to up date my spends adding £104.43 to bring my spends up to £259.78 getting a bit close to my budget of £300.00 will have to try and have a few NSD bit scary
    Dee x
    July grocery challenge £250.00/£408.93
    August grocery challenge£350.00
    2/8£28.46
  • Happygreen
    Happygreen Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    NSD today :) don't have much left to spend, Approved Foods did me in AGAIN this month.....
    First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, and then you win - Gandhi
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    hi new folk, nsd again for me today am going to do a bit of cooking later as I am a bit bored , defrosting chicken for tomorrow so that's sorted. rummaged through the cupboards and for a few things so will be making school dinner jam pudding with coconut on top will make custard will prob eat most of it myself as oh is on nighshift tonight and son is in grannies , oh here in fact I know I will eat it all myself xxx
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • maria3104
    maria3104 Posts: 920 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Was on £177 but daughter offered to call in Aldees for me, some 25 miles from our home. I cracked, £31.85 for the stuff on my list. So am now officially over budget £208.85 over £8.85 but we have a lovely stash of fresh veg, enough milk to end of month and 2 chickens roasting in over for next 2 days... yum yum.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you so much dingdongsaving.

I will be trying your enchilada recipe with your spice mix this week:)
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • Solstice_3
    Options
    Quick shop today

18/10 £0.59 and £2.40 for ingredients needed for Beef and Ale Stew (which DH is cooking now).

Hubby made me laugh telling me the ale I bought was too good for the stew - it was the same price as all the others and good ale = good flavour, plus I get to sample a wee bit from the leftovers lol.
    Stay at home Mum to DS Oct 2011 and DD Dec 2013
    Grocery Challenge

April 298.08/300.00 NSD 14 May £213.56/£300 NSD 4
  • Billie-jo
    Billie-jo Posts: 1,221 Forumite
    Options
    The enchilada recipe sound really nice - may give it a go soon. Thanks

Have now spent £143.73 so far this month which is about where we should be really.
    Think we have about 14 eggs in, so sometime in the week I will be making a quiche and an egg custard tart - one of my favourites.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend everyone. x
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    Another NSD for me. I'm using up odds & ends for tonight's supper so my fridge is almost bare.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport