Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2012

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the:
    May 2012 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    By request, here is Spiggles wonderful helpful post

We all have different budgets that suit our households. The most important thing to remember is that you set yours according to your needs and finances. It can take time to get to where you want to be too so don't knock yourself out if you go over in the first few months. We are here to support each other and it is not a competition.

I thought it might help to outline where we've come from and the top tips I've learned.

When we started in March 2010 we had spent in excess of 600 in the previous month. This had to stop, (there's only me and him and our two beautiful black cats) something which thankfully my OH completely agreed with so I have been lucky that he has been on board from the start. He gave me his debit card voluntarily and I still keep hold of it until he needs to get something for the home. At the same time we set up a system of pocket money (pm) at 15 each per week which doesn't count towards the GC and which we can each spend as we wish with no comebacks or complaints. OH predominantly uses his pm on his beer and I ferret mine away mostly.

The next step was to set up my own spreadsheet which is absolutely simple onto which I put all spends so that I have a continuous running total for the month and for the year. We initially set our budget at 280 per month and brought it down to 240 where it resides for most of the year it is occasionally increased to allow for extras e.g. Christmas to 260.

The important 'tools' we found greatly helped and continue to do so now are:

Stocktake cupboards, fridge, freezer - make lists and ensure that the older products get used up first. You'll be amazed at what you find squirrelled away and it will help with your shopping list as you'll realise that you don't actually need so much.

Before you go shopping check staples - running out of milk, bread, butter, etc often leads to going into a shop for one thing and coming out 20 lighter. Always check these and if they'll run out tomorrow buy them the same time as getting other things.

Always make a shopping list and stick to it - the supermarkets (sm) try every which way to get us to spend so having a list and strong resolve is the only way to beat them.

Keep every receipt - and then note it down on your spreadsheet/spend diary so that you always know where you are.

When tempted, ask yourself do you NEED it or just WANT it - now this advice goes with two things. Firstly, the things you see in store when shopping that APPEAR to be bargains - if you hadn't planned spending the money then its not a bargain. Secondly, the sm send us loads of vouchers for X off a spend of XX - if you had no NEED to spend XX then have you SAVED anything???

Use my supermarket to compare prices (limited to four of the biggies) - The site may be used to actually do an online shop at whichever of the big four offers the best value or, if you have the time and sm availability, to make up lists for visiting each of the stores so that you can purchase all you need at different stores thus getting the best possible value. (I'd add, do a 'shop' virtually on this site and take the list you create on it with you, whichever one you shop at, it will help keep target prices in your head and allow you to spot bargains. MrM is not included but you can do a virtual list on their website so you know what you're going to be spending.)

Always have a list - this is just as important when shopping online as shopping on foot.

Use Approved Foods online (with a list!) - if you don't mind out of date things (ood) or you can search for only in date items. The only drawback is storing the goods as far as I can tell. Oh, and watch the delivery as it's done on a scaled charge for weight so keep an eye on it. You can of course do an AF order with friends, family, colleagues or like minded neighbours. Other GCers use Big Br*nds 4 Less too.

Invest in a breadmaker - we have saved so much by making our own bread. The prices in the shops are extortionate for bread these days. There's loads of advice on this thread and others in the forum on this.

Use the recipe lists - always posted at the front of a new thread. There are fantastic, tasty, healthy and economical recipes to use on them and there are a number of other threads on the forum such as Weezl's that will help you to eat well on a budget.

Shop locally - the local greengrocer (or preferably market but I don't have one ) is usually cheaper as an option for fruit and veg (f&v) than the sm. Often the prices may look the same but when you look at the quantity for the same price the greengrocer will be cheaper. The same goes for the local butcher. Often you will have far more variety of meat available, advice on how to cook a particular meat can be offered and there is (for me at least) no comparison in terms of quality. We buy our huge FR eggs there and I'm yet to find an equivalent FR egg in a sm at the same or lower price. Obvioulsy if you have your own chicks/know someone who has chicks you can get them even cheaper again.

Grow your own - it's quite simple to grow some f&v at home even if it's only in pots on the patio. There are also supportive threads on the forum for this.

Cook your own - making meals at home from ingredients is far more economical, often tastes better than shop bought and is probably far better healthwise.

Meal Plan - this is something that others can advise on as we don't do it. I have a tremendous capacity for eating the same food over many days but presented in slightly different form. For example, we could buy 7 worth of brisket from the butchers and eat it as pot roast for a couple of days, sliced for sarnies, sliced with a salad, chucked into a casserole or shredded up and fried as crispy beef.

Don't waste food - either only make what you need or use any leftovers for other meals/creations or freeze it for another day.

Withdraw the cash you want to spend - and keep it in a separate purse. This can be particularly effective as you have the money in front of you reducing rather than spending with plastic which is so easy to lose track of. Very useful when you first start out.

Don't go to the shops to browse - this can only lead to pain and hardship!!!

Keep posting and reading the thread - there really is no better supportive, wise and inspirational place to be! I think I saw that somebody mentioned forgetting to read/post. I get around this by using the Advanced button to post, below the window where your text is displayed you will see Additional Options. In the Thread Subscription box use the dropdown to select either instant email notification (this is what I use) or daily email notification before you submit your latest post. Then you will get an email into your inbox from which you can click to the thread to see what others are saying.

Always remember the sm is not your friend - it wants to profit from you and take as much of your money as it can coerce out of you!

So, there you go as a starting point. Others on here will offer tremendous advice on meal planning. And don't forget, the only silly question is the one you didn't ask!

See you all later,
    Spigs
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 11-05-2012 at 6:59 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 21
    • savesummore
    • By savesummore 4th Jun 12, 6:00 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 11,411 Thanks
    savesummore

Savesummore - which recipe do you use for your HM baguettes, please? They're something we eat quite regularly (topped with curry sometimes instead of rice and served with salad ... mmm) but I always end up buying the part-baked variety. While they're nice and quite reasonably priced I really feel the need to try to make them myself. TIA

K xx
    Originally posted by Kitchenbunny
    Just having to hand over to OH as he cooks not me

HM Bagettes:

Makes 2

Take 350g strong white bread flour
    1Tbls of caster sugar
    1 Tsp salt
    1 1/2 Tsp instant yeast
    225ml warm water

Mix ingredients in bowl, then knead for 10 mins on a flat surface, cover and leave to rise until doubled. Then knock back the dough to deflate and roll out into an approx 20cm x 30 cm rectangle. Cut rectangle in half and then starting at the short end roll up tightly into sausage shape. Roll sauasge shape backwards and forwards with the palms of your hands until its the required bagette length, repeat for the other half
    Put on floured baking tray and leave to rise until doubled in diameter
    Once doubled either slash from end to end with sharpe knife OR slash diagonally at approx 4cm intervals- make sure slashes are very deep.
    Pre heat oven 170 brush loaves with beaten egg and then bake for 30-40 mins until golden brown

Wow thats complicated!!

HTH
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 4th Jun 12, 6:19 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Plan for the month - do a new list of all the food I have already and use it up!
    Originally posted by TheThriftyScrumpers
    That's always my plan too, but I seem to end up each month with more stock at the end than at the beginning!! That's not how that's supposed to work!

PennyGrabber - hope you enjoyed your concert!
    Originally posted by Kitchenbunny
    I had an absolute blast thanks! Ended up spending a LOT of money though, so having to be super frugal for the rest of the month now... Still, I'm 35 and it was my first concert, so I think that's ok!!

Just having to hand over to OH as he cooks not me

HM Bagettes:

Makes 2

Take 350g strong white bread flour
    1Tbls of caster sugar
    1 Tsp salt
    1 1/2 Tsp instant yeast
    225ml warm water

Mix ingredients in bowl, then knead for 10 mins on a flat surface, cover and leave to rise until doubled. Then knock back the dough to deflate and roll out into an approx 20cm x 30 cm rectangle. Cut rectangle in half and then starting at the short end roll up tightly into sausage shape. Roll sauasge shape backwards and forwards with the palms of your hands until its the required bagette length, repeat for the other half
    Put on floured baking tray and leave to rise until doubled in diameter
    Once doubled either slash from end to end with sharpe knife OR slash diagonally at approx 4cm intervals- make sure slashes are very deep.
    Pre heat oven 170 brush loaves with beaten egg and then bake for 30-40 mins until golden brown

Wow thats complicated!!

HTH
    Originally posted by savesummore
    Thanks for that! I look forward to trying this recipe out - then pricing it to see if it's cheaper than partbaked!

NSD today, and NCD too (no car day). We went out for a walk to the sweetie shop, then a mooch around the garden centre. Didn't spend anything, just had a wander as an excuse to get out of the house for a bit. Up to 7.80 for the month so far, so that's fine. I'm working more on getting my daily rate up to 4, which seems to be really motivating me at the moment - whatever works eh?!
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • MrsCD
    • By MrsCD 4th Jun 12, 6:49 PM
    • 745 Posts
    • 11,241 Thanks
    MrsCD
    PS: Whilst everyone I know checks FB on their phones, I can't stay away from checking this thread - I can think of worse addictions I guess.
    Originally posted by NickJW
    Same here Can't stand FB though

edit: did anyone watch The Apprentice final last night? Those people do not really live in the real world - I was screaming at the tv everytime they mentioned that nobody meal plans, and shops around for food prices - Oh yes they do Lord Sugar and your side kicks - IN THE REAL WORLD WHERE WE HAVE TO WATCH THE PENNIES THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT WE DO - sorry, rant over
    Originally posted by MunniMuncha
    I quite agree That prog is IMO the reason we have so many bad shop assistants! The attitude starts at the top.

JJ - glad you had a good time and your back is behaving a bit better.

sistercas - take care of yourself.

I've been to work today. It was quite a good but very busy day. We had LOTS of families in today so good fun talking to children and the SUN came out this afternoon
    2 NSDs in a row

Just had my dinner of LO Sunday dinner, and pudding of red raspberries, white ice cream and blueberries!!!
    Last edited by MrsCD; 04-06-2012 at 7:17 PM. Reason: being very patriotic!!!
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 4th Jun 12, 6:49 PM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    I have noticed how c0stcos prices have shot up over the last few months . its a real struggle these days to get value for money
    Originally posted by sistercas
    Very true .... on another thread earlier we were talking about pay rises (last one for us was March 09) & cost increases etc and I worked out that fuel now costs me 68 / month more since my last pay increase (and I don't do a hugely high mileage) .... just where is all this extra money supposed to come from is what I'd like the Gment to answer!

Pennygrabber wow! Can't believe that was your 1st concert - glad you enjoyed it!

(((hugs))) to all under the weather / need cheering up.

Had a disaster this morning - took my only just opened big jar of Douwe Ed*berts coffee (just about my only remaining treat!) and ... the lid mustn't quite have been on and ........ coffee everywhere (floor, in the oven, hob, worktops etc). Got the mini-vac out & hoovered it up (what a waste) and it fell out as the grains were too small - hoovered again .... by this time, my milk had boiled over & the crumpets were burnt Day hasn't got much better since!

Will be hunting the cupboards as sure I've got an empty big Ken*co jar with a screw top lid somewhere!
    Grocery Challenge 211/455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: 125/250
    1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 3.96 / 1,000
    Vet Fund: 410.93 / 1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Samantha22
    JJ glad your back is a little better enjoy your day

Hex c0stco isnt too bad around 79p i think but you have to buy a case load but its worth it if you can sell some to family and friends

I have noticed how c0stcos prices have shot up over the last few months . its a real struggle these days to get value for money

having a chicken stirfry for tea using LO chicken from yesterdays roast and lots of veg

NSD today as my back is still painful so wont be going out

hope those having parties today have a great day and the weather stays dry
    Originally posted by sistercas
    Hello.
    I have been wondering about Costco. Is it only available for business people, or can ordinary people shop there? I so need to be able to get some cheap groceries from now on.

Thanking you for taking of your time to read this message,
    Sam22 x
    Feb GC: - 0/200 beginning Feb 3rd 2015
    Multiple Catalogues: 3,500 due (approx.) Must sort!
    Capital One CC: 500.00 to be paid back asap
    Aqua CC: 250.00 to be paid back asap
    Vanquis CC: 500.00 to be paid back asap
    Current Weight: 13st 2lbs - Ideal weight: 10st
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 4th Jun 12, 8:26 PM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    Sam re Cost*co - others may have different opinions but, to me, it really depends on whether you can club together for membership with a friend / relative & how big your family is.

We get discounted membership through work but, for me, I'd still struggle to justify the cost and, if I stock up when stuff is on offer elsewhere, I easily match / beat the prices.

Also, some of the sizes of products mean you have to be a reasonable sized family or have someone to split with them.

Saying that .... their meat is great!
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 4th Jun 12, 8:30 PM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    Very true .... on another thread earlier we were talking about pay rises (last one for us was March 09) & cost increases etc and I worked out that fuel now costs me 68 / month more since my last pay increase (and I don't do a hugely high mileage) .... just where is all this extra money supposed to come from is what I'd like the Gment to answer!

!
    Originally posted by rising from the ashes
    yep everything has gone up horrifically but wages havent infact wages have done down for some. how does the government expect us to keep afloat

Hello.
    I have been wondering about Costco. Is it only available for business people, or can ordinary people shop there? I so need to be able to get some cheap groceries from now on.

Thanking you for taking of your time to read this message,
    Sam22 x
    Originally posted by Samantha22
    you do have to be self employed or be in certain occupations THIS link may help, if you scroll to the bottom an click the further details button
    there is also an annual membership so you have to use it enough to recoup that HTH
    • bossymoo
    • By bossymoo 4th Jun 12, 8:38 PM
    • 6,817 Posts
    • 87,056 Thanks
    bossymoo
    Hi just a quick report, nsd here. Will have to spend soon though as running low on the kiddies milks and the nappy stash and the fridge are looking a bit sparse... Wish my lettuce seeds would sprout!

Need to see what I have in tomorrow then I can plan a biggie.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 4th Jun 12, 8:53 PM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 27,317 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hello peeps!

Just on to update my spends. DH went to Sainsbobs on Saturday for a couple of bits and ended up spending over 17 on stuff for one meal (asparagus x 2 plus hollandaise sauce for 4.50 ). I wouldn't mind but only me and him eat it, the children won't entertain it at all. Lovely but such a luxury addition to a bbq!

Talking of luxury additions, I got a bottle of champers in Sainsbobs for 10 as it's our anniversary this week

We went to Hyde Park yesterday with my sister and her family for the Sainsbobs Family Festival. No quite what we had envisaged. Some good performances from choirs and the strictly finalists from this year's show, but for 13 a ticket....more of an opportunity for their 'sponsors' to give out marketing information imho.

In laws for dinner tonight and DH cooked Nigella$ one pot sage and onion chicken/sausages - lovely. MIL made two puddings - double lovely!

DR and AF orders coming this week, which need to be reflected in my sig so off to do that now.

Hope all the poorlies are on the mend and enjoy the extra BH folks!
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
  • jumblejack
    Hope you have a great anniversary coxy!

Speaking of anniversaries, has anybody got a good deal in canvas photo prints?

I'd like to have one done as a golden wedding anniversary for my folks. I'm arranging a holiday at a later date but would like to give them something other than the cake and champers on the day.

So far I think Tesco are the cheapest although Lidl do a composite golden anniversary themed one too.

Can anyone suggest anywhere?

Cheers.

JJ
    Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):30.50/40
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 4th Jun 12, 10:51 PM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 27,286 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    That's it, we have capitulated and after the evening out at the hog roast/barn dance in a marquee in the middle of a field we were so cold we have turned the range back on. I know it's June but the forecast is miserable all week and if the weather isn't playing the game, why should we? Sod the expense!
    Have a good BH everyone
    SL
    MFIT T5 target to clear our mortgage completely (59,998) Q1 26,828 or 44.71% paid - Mortgage Free Wannabes 2019 #37 29,215.99 after May
    Save 12k in 2019 - #68 target is 7k 4,998.99 or 71.41% after May
    OS Grocery Challenge 2019 target is 3k - 36.16% spent so far, after May
    My DFD is here
    • rising from the ashes
    • By rising from the ashes 5th Jun 12, 5:52 AM
    • 12,321 Posts
    • 59,551 Thanks
    rising from the ashes
    we were so cold we have turned the range back on.
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Yup, I've had to put my heating on for an hour or so the past few evenings .... it's usually off by April

Wondering if the shops are open as normal today - I could so with going to Al*di and getting bits for lunches for the next couple of weeks.
    • forever saving
    • By forever saving 5th Jun 12, 6:54 AM
    • 565 Posts
    • 8,850 Thanks
    forever saving
    Please could i be put down for 300 for June. I will try my best not to go over. There is a reasonable amount of food in. I have been shopping but usually add all of the receipts up at the end of the week. There are a several receipts already!!
    Thankyou to all who run this thread.
    FS
    Jan GC 298.62/300 Feb 298.01/300 March 331.06/300 April 69.96/300
    Learning to accept the things i cannot change
  • helen jelly
    Heating - I've had mine on for a bit in the morning and then again in the evening, I hate being cold [although Winter is my favourite season] I'd rather be warm and skint than cold and skint lol

Budgets done to here.

Spent yesterday at a Medieval Fun Day at Old Warden, although the weather could of been better we had a great time there, all the re-enactors were really friendly and full of info and very, very good with the kiddies. Both of the children enjoyed it and it was a bargain day out as I got the tickets through Groupon so paid 12 entrance for 4 of us instead of the 30ish it would of cost to pay on the day, spent nothing whilst there on food and drink as we took it with us. Having never been to a Medieval day before I really enjoyed it and would go again - one to remember for further days out.

Enjoyed watching the concert on TV and I've decided that next time there is a big event like this in London I'll take the kiddies down there. I lurve anything like this [DH doesn't]

Hopefully a NSD on the grocery front today - we need things but I'm hanging out till tomorrow when I replenish the kitty. Going to DunElm later so that won't be a NSD!!

Have a lovely Bank Holiday Tuesday for those not working [DH is]

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
  • payingitoff
    Hello
    Is there room for a newbie to join?
    My budget for the rest of June (family of 5) is 270 (90 per week).
    This may sound a lot compared to some but I'm taking it slowly and trying
    Last edited by payingitoff; 05-06-2012 at 8:39 AM.
    LBM April 10 2012 Debt 13,658
    Total Debt July 2014 still over 10K - want it under asap!
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 5th Jun 12, 9:17 AM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Hello
    Is there room for a newbie to join?
    My budget for the rest of June (family of 5) is 270 (90 per week).
    This may sound a lot compared to some but I'm taking it slowly and trying
    Originally posted by payingitoff

Hello! Of course there's room for you to join! We're a really friendly bunch; feel free to ask any questions. And it doesn't matter to us what your budget is - you set what you feel comfortable with, and work from there. Loads of people will be able to give hints and tips for how to decrease your spending when you're ready. I have found, though, that I only actually 'hear' the tips when I'm ready to do so, if that makes sense.
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 5th Jun 12, 9:22 AM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    we were so cold we have turned the range back on.
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Yup, I've had to put my heating on for an hour or so the past few evenings .... it's usually off by April
    Originally posted by rising from the ashes
    Heating - I've had mine on for a bit in the morning and then again in the evening
    Originally posted by helen jelly
    So glad it's not just me! I had to have the heating on last night, as I was frozen! It's June, for goodness sake!

SL and HJ - hope you enjoyed your days out! It's really nice to have something to do for a day, instead of mooching sometimes.

We're going to TWO jubilee parties today! A lunchtime bbq at a friend's house, then an afternoon tea party at the vicars' house! DD is dressed up in her red dress with white spots and union flag flip flops, ds and I still to get dressed...

Have a great day everyone!

PG x
    • Aldahbra
    • By Aldahbra 5th Jun 12, 9:32 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 3,684 Thanks
    Aldahbra
    I'm just reporting a 2.48 spend for yesterday.

JJ - I made your microwave pudding again yesterday, this time I did the treacle version, it was even better than the chocolate, even DD liked it. Thanks
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge: week 1 ---------- target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: 100/500 ------------left to spend 400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 5th Jun 12, 9:33 AM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Big thanks to all who have wished me and hubby well! It is much appreciated!

Yes I had the heating on also-the temp just dropped last night! Only for an hour or two tho as by then it was time for bed!
    NSD yesterday and Ive noticed Ive got till spits and vouchers from hubbys newpapers which I don't normally buy. The thing is-am I really going to spend 60 in Waitrose or 40 in Tesco! Ive got to run down the freezer so that next time my freezer I have "my eye on2 is available I can buy it!
    Hubby is somewhat better but not seen a doc for a few days as all on holiday I am guessing-just emergency ones at the hospital. So he is none the wiser but hopes to come home today or tomorrow. We shall see! When he does return he wil go out gardening and stupid things like that and overdo it so the longer he stays there resting the better!
    I did a nice s[ag bol night before last with only a little bit of mince-I think about 250g and half a tin of lentils(app foods). Didnt miss the meat and it made 5 portions! Dd did barbeque rib yday-it was a Mr T one from the freezer with roasties so we are living well! I am now trying to do a bit more decluttering and if the charity shops are open today they will be getting another bag full of goodies.
    Now to my stack of ironing-or I could pretend I am saving electric and not bother!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • purplesheila
    • By purplesheila 5th Jun 12, 9:42 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    purplesheila
    Hello I would like to join

I have a family 2 adults 2 children (10 + 12) 1 dog. I cat & 3 Chickens

My Budget for this month is 5 weekly shops at 70 Total 350

Thanks

Spend so far

Ald! (food) 75
    Indoor Market (5lb of skinned and bonned Chicken thigh) 11.25
    St***cher (Cleaning)4.99

Total 91.24
    Last edited by purplesheila; 05-06-2012 at 3:15 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,254Posts Today

8,173Users online

Martin's Twitter