Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    • 4th Jun 11, 11:19 AM
    4th Jun 11 at 11:19 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the tenth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your September budget, then keep on posting in the September 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

For everyones totals, see post #7 on this thread

I hope everyone has a great month!

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 25-09-2011 at 6:11 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 27
    • Ches
    • By Ches 8th Oct 11, 4:20 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 10,371 Thanks
    Ches
    Added another 6.37 to the months spends which leaves me with 89.27 with 2 weeks shopping to go.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot.
    • cattysmum
    • By cattysmum 8th Oct 11, 5:29 PM
    • 1,256 Posts
    • 21,417 Thanks
    cattysmum
    First NSD of the month today, am getting confused with my grocery shopping as I keep getting bits and bobs (pressies) for xmas and keep forgetting to take the amount off my grocery spend so I think Iv spent more on groceries than I really have anyone else get different budgets mixed up, taken me ages to sort out receipts.
    [B]SPC No. 295 - SPC No10 target 350
    #1603/
    SPC 2014 150/SPC 2015 256SPC 2016 324
    Saving for Florida 2018
    Matched betting toe dipper.
    • emmad5689
    • By emmad5689 8th Oct 11, 5:58 PM
    • 1,116 Posts
    • 13,850 Thanks
    emmad5689
    NSD yesterday and a spend of about 78 today, got to go to the discount stores tomoro and got a T delivery on monday of another 80 from that point i should just be breakfast club money and fresh stuff but we'll see, always spend loads about a week into the month and then it slows.

Starting a new job in just over a week which is going to be shifts so I can't meal plan as I don't know what i'm doing yet and I've stocked up on tinned stuff, deicer and got sum long life milk on standby.

Hope you are all well xx
    To get to Disneyland Florida 2016
    • mrsd
    • By mrsd 8th Oct 11, 9:08 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 1,688 Thanks
    mrsd
    I am so upset!

Came home from having dinner with my friend to find my fridge freezer had defrosted itself and the motor was buzzing and sounded knackered, my freezer was full to bursting, pork loint, haddock,salmon fillets,steak,chicken, 2 frozen ready meals, chips,mixed veg, peas,sweetcorn,various other veg, ww crumble,brread rolls,tortillas,chicken lattices, shepards pie, plus more i cant even remember.

I am so unhappy! i was doing well with my gc budget and hadnt bought anything since last week as i was gonna make some meals in batches 2mo, now all of that is wasted and i have to get a new fridge freezer, which i was thinking of getting, but didnt want this to happen, so not only do i have to shell out for a new one, i now have to spend more money to refill it!

Not only that but there is a leak in my bathroom from upstairs and i need to call ha 2mo to get it fixed,great!

Rant over, sorry guys, hope your doing well with your gc
    Originally posted by ms_night_ryder

Hello
    Sorry not regular poster on here but do value tips and cheery chat and am working up to grocery challenge! Anyway wanted to say have you checked your contents insurance to see if your freezer food is covered? Similar thing happened to us, went to visit in laws for Bank Holiday weekend, came home, thermostat broken and everything in fridge/freezer warm and very off. Mentioned to neighbour who saw us throwing food away and she said to check insurance, I did and we were covered. As I had thrown food away assessor said he couldnt give full payment but as I had receipt for last weekly shop and highlighted what was in fridge/freezer, I did however get vouchers to spend in well know frozen food store which helped a lot.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 8th Oct 11, 9:35 PM
    • 4,290 Posts
    • 23,538 Thanks
    JIL
    The one I had originally came from aldi and they refunded my money - it was 70 though - when did you get yours for 42. I will look out for them in Aldi again - until it broke I really liked mine!
    Originally posted by recovering spendaholic
    I think it was June this year, it was one that was originally 49.99 but was reduced further to clear. Its a delta one and it has been really good to date.

Sorry not to have replied earlier, I missed your post.
    • forever saving
    • By forever saving 9th Oct 11, 7:15 AM
    • 565 Posts
    • 8,850 Thanks
    forever saving
    Is it too late for me join this month? If it's not please could i be put down for 240 again. Due to laptop i haven't been on here. Have already spent 68.74 last week. Haven't been shopping this week yet. Will probably get some bits today.
    Hope everyone has a good day.
    FS x
    Jan GC 298.62/300 Feb 298.01/300 March 331.06/300 April 69.96/300
    Learning to accept the things i cannot change
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 9th Oct 11, 8:13 AM
    • 5,122 Posts
    • 18,795 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Morning did a big shop yesterday in sain$bury$, very impressed as i spent 92.97 but using various coupons and voucher including a 12 off 60 spend and a 11 off 55 spend i managed to get my shop down to 53.02p, think i might now have to join the eating out of the cupboards challenge all the cupboards are fit to burst.

Thankyou for the mars bar cake recipe (sorry forgotten who it was) it is delish and will be lethal for my waistline.
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    • ixia
    • By ixia 9th Oct 11, 8:48 AM
    • 1,324 Posts
    • 5,413 Thanks
    ixia
    keep up the good work everyone, I need to dig out receipts for my spends during the week and I still have to do a shop this week but going to try and keep it low as I have spent too much money this month already on other things.

I will update later.
  • Mrs De Bris
    Morning All

I spent 70.50 this week so still on track. I should have had a cheaper week but I succumbed to offers on tins of Cadbury Heroes.

I've bought 2 tins to take into work as a christmas treat for the people in my office. The touble is they've only been in the house for a day and they are already driving me mad. I can here them calling to me; it will be a miracle if they last 8 weeks.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 9th Oct 11, 9:57 AM
    • 3,346 Posts
    • 34,470 Thanks
    XSpender
    Morning everyone

I have been spending again and am now over budget. The only positive is that I have noted down every single thing I have bought tis month inlcuding little things like a cup of tea at work, big shops, top up shops and takeaways so I feel that I will have a good idea of what I have spent and where I can economise next month.

I have 11 days left before pay day and will need milk, bread, fruit and yogurts and some meat for DH but I am going to try and use up what I have in my freezer/cupboards and avoid a big shop until pay day when I have 14 worth of vouchers to use. I may use my nectar points this week to help keep costs down, only got 5 though.

One thing I am considering for next month is doing a bulk meat shop at C0stco of sausages, good burgers, steak and pork steaks for DH and see if this helps me to avoid going to the shop when DH 'fancies' something different or I can't think what to feed him. I am veggie so all mince/chicken pieces meals are made with qu0rn so we can share.

The alcohol part of my budget is only slightly over target and as we are at social events next Friday and Saturday night and I have decided not to have the odd beer during the week and leave it until the weekend this should help too.

I am also challenging myself to cook from scratch twice a week from next week. Sounds easy but Monday and Wednesday DH or I are at exercise classes, Tuesday I am at college and I have to fit in home work for this course and another I am doing through work my ft job and spend some quality time with DS age 17 months This is where I need to start batch cooking again to save some time

Enjoy your Sunday x
  • hjanea
    Morning!!
    NSD yesterday but spent 17.34 in Mr S on friday-some of it on rubbish!! Was planning an NSD today but stupidly asked DD what she would like for tea as she was upset about going out with her dad-pizza. So we are going shopping. I've got my veg soup on and have realised that I'll need potatoes and carrots for tomorrow so will get those as well.
    Helen. Single mum to DD(7) and 2 siamese cats. Trying to decrease my debt and spending and increase my savings and lose weight-30lbs so far!
    Sealed pot challenge-1373-2011-80.52!!!! .Disney savings-378.17 + sealed pot.
    CCs-virgin1-73.58,virgin2-131.44,fluid-1650.75,sainsburys-1289.56-all 0%.Total-3145.33
    August GC- 44.91/ 250. NSDs-2/3.
  • Mrs Good Life
    Morning all,

Yesterday did my grocery shopping and spend 42.00,would have been 45.00 had a 3.00 coupon I used.

Will be using what is in my freezers over the next few weeks and as I did not buy any cakes or biscuits yesterday I will need to make some later.

xx
    NSD January 3/15
    "Sealed Pot Challenge"#1416 11.46/500
    2 Savers Club# 30.00
    Co-op Credit Card 2.00/129.17
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 9th Oct 11, 11:22 AM
    • 3,113 Posts
    • 42,234 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Hi all,

Just popped in to update sig and declare a Mr S spend of 22.53 after 5 voucher

Well chuffed with myself as, I wrote a shopping list of things we NEEDED and apart from a chorizo at 1.50 from 3' stuck to my list - this is from the woman who would spend 120 pw on main shop, then top-up shop at least twice through the week

Fingers crossed the OS message is finally sinking in - a BIG thanks to all those who give so much advice and encouagement on the site xx

Roast pork etc for dinner, wm on washing hung out, off to tackle my first ebuy sale ad now....

Have a fab day all xx
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!
    • Fiasco55
    • By Fiasco55 9th Oct 11, 1:13 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 15,364 Thanks
    Fiasco55
    I was at waitro$e last night and spent 24.47. I managed to get my 3 for 2 on my sugar free flavoured water and 3 for 2 on my baked crisps with a good date. I picked up some fresh food too and a rotisserie chicken but yummy. This will also do for dinner tonight for 3 people.

I forgot to say on Friday I nipped into M & S to get the half price Christmas cake so thats another 4.99.

I am planning on poping into HB this afternoon to replenish a few store cupboard items.
    No buying toiletries Graduated May 2017

Decluttered 2016 2469 items, 2017 1580 items
    2018 3060 items

Sealed Pot Challenge No 038
    • sproggi
    • By sproggi 9th Oct 11, 1:32 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 6,376 Thanks
    sproggi
    It is a NSD for me

Managed to catch up on all my washing (happens once in a blue moon!) but think my tumble dryer is now dying judging by the awful smell that was coming from it and the almost glowing hot back to it
    I want to try and manage without getting another one, but when I use my airer, everything takes so long to dry that it almost starts to smell musty despite putting it near an open window for airflow and I am reluctant to put my heating on yet. It would not be so bad if we did not get through so many towels, I seem to have a washload full every day!

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
    • pepsi-kins
    • By pepsi-kins 9th Oct 11, 2:05 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    pepsi-kins
    Hi All,
    Managed not to do a full shop this week, as didn't need very much, just been to the Co-*p just for yogurts as we have none, I noticed that they had extra mature cheddar 400g buy one get one free, so I got 4 packs of this, to freeze. I will need to go shopping early next week as need few bits of veg and sandwich meat but thats about it. Roast leg of lamb for tea tonight, which was given to us free, so looking forward to that.

Not sure if this recipe is in the recipe index but I made for the first time this week Homity pie, which I thought was really tasty. Fry leeks and onions, add cooked potatoes diced, add in a handful of spring greens or kale or such like, and a little garlic, fry until kale is wilted. Put in a cooked pastry case. Mix 75g of cheese with 60ml of single cream, season and pour over the pastry case, then grate a further 75g of cheese on top and bake for 30 - 40 mins.

Have a good week everyone.
    2018 G/C 2951.61/2250
    Vouchers used 553.23
    Extra money 250
    2019 G/C 1587.26
    Vouchers: 143.90
    • 76rosie
    • By 76rosie 9th Oct 11, 3:44 PM
    • 1,808 Posts
    • 32,272 Thanks
    76rosie
    13.19/50.00 plenty of food around so think i'm on target!!! have been using coupons this week, perle le lait moc and goodfellas pizzas. So will try not to buy food in the week and eat out of cupboards.
  • rosieben
    pepsi-kins, I've added your Homity pie recipe to the index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 9th Oct 11, 4:32 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Still waiting for my fee cheque so have only 3 odd to last until it arrives!! I have plenty of food in the freezer, fridge and cupboards and am just waiting for a nice roast dinner to cook.

My target this month is 350 but I am hoping not to spend that much as money is REALLY tight at the moment and I can't even begin to think about Christmas!

Got one of the free goodfellas pizzas yesterday in Sainsbobs and it was really nice - I was surprised! Also got a bar of basics dark chocolate so will make some millies cookies later for lunchboxes.

pepsi-kins that homity pie sounds lovely!!!

I made some pastry the other day and froze it so may have a go this week.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 9th Oct 11, 4:59 PM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    It is a NSD for me

Managed to catch up on all my washing (happens once in a blue moon!) but think my tumble dryer is now dying judging by the awful smell that was coming from it and the almost glowing hot back to it
    I want to try and manage without getting another one, but when I use my airer, everything takes so long to dry that it almost starts to smell musty despite putting it near an open window for airflow and I am reluctant to put my heating on yet. It would not be so bad if we did not get through so many towels, I seem to have a washload full every day!

Sproggi
    Originally posted by sproggi
    my TD died about 18 months ago and we couldnt afford to replace it , since then ive managed really well , i dry outside whenever i can if not i use an airer or radiators if they are on , i made hanging space in the airing cupoard to put things needed more urgently. its a bit tiresome having washing all over ( and i have 2 teenage girls who would have 2 towels each a day . ) i laid down a rule that they could only have 1 bath towel and 1 hand towel a week and they were responsible for drying it each day . so far its working well and has cut down on the towel wash considerably , just need to train them not put clothes in the wash they have only had on for 5 mins
    must have saved quite a bit on the leccy bill too
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,078Posts Today

6,088Users online

Martin's Twitter