PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2011 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• cattysmum
    cattysmum Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    :doh:First NSD of the month today, am getting confused with my grocery shopping as I keep getting bits and bobs (pressies) for xmas and keep forgetting to take the amount off my grocery spend so I think Iv spent more on groceries than I really have anyone else get different budgets mixed up, taken me ages to sort out receipts.
    SPC No. 295 - SPC No10 target £350
    #1603:staradmin/
    SPC 2014 £150/SPC 2015 £256SPC 2016 £324
    Saving for Florida 2018 :j
    Matched betting toe dipper.
  • emmad5689
    emmad5689 Posts: 1,117 Forumite
    NSD yesterday and a spend of about £78 today, got to go to the discount stores tomoro and got a T delivery on monday of another £80 from that point i should just be breakfast club money and fresh stuff but we'll see, always spend loads about a week into the month and then it slows.

Starting a new job in just over a week which is going to be shifts so I can't meal plan as I don't know what i'm doing yet and I've stocked up on tinned stuff, deicer and got sum long life milk on standby.

Hope you are all well xx
    To get to Disneyland Florida 2016
  • mrsd
    mrsd Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am so upset!

Came home from having dinner with my friend to find my fridge freezer had defrosted itself and the motor was buzzing and sounded knackered, my freezer was full to bursting, pork loint, haddock,salmon fillets,steak,chicken, 2 frozen ready meals, chips,mixed veg, peas,sweetcorn,various other veg, ww crumble,brread rolls,tortillas,chicken lattices, shepards pie, plus more i cant even remember.

I am so unhappy! i was doing well with my gc budget and hadnt bought anything since last week as i was gonna make some meals in batches 2mo, now all of that is wasted and i have to get a new fridge freezer, which i was thinking of getting, but didnt want this to happen, so not only do i have to shell out for a new one, i now have to spend more money to refill it!

Not only that but there is a leak in my bathroom from upstairs and i need to call ha 2mo to get it fixed,great!

Rant over, sorry guys, hope your doing well with your gc

Hello
    Sorry not regular poster on here but do value tips and cheery chat and am working up to grocery challenge! Anyway wanted to say have you checked your contents insurance to see if your freezer food is covered? Similar thing happened to us, went to visit in laws for Bank Holiday weekend, came home, thermostat broken and everything in fridge/freezer warm and very off. Mentioned to neighbour who saw us throwing food away and she said to check insurance, I did and we were covered. As I had thrown food away assessor said he couldnt give full payment but as I had receipt for last weekly shop and highlighted what was in fridge/freezer, I did however get vouchers to spend in well know frozen food store which helped a lot.
    Thoughts to all. Mrs D.
    Grocery challenge £52/£150 for June.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,687 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The one I had originally came from aldi and they refunded my money - it was £70 though - when did you get yours for £42. I will look out for them in Aldi again - until it broke I really liked mine!

I think it was June this year, it was one that was originally £49.99 but was reduced further to clear. Its a delta one and it has been really good to date.

Sorry not to have replied earlier, I missed your post.
  • Is it too late for me join this month? If it's not please could i be put down for £240 again. Due to laptop i haven't been on here. Have already spent £68.74 last week. Haven't been shopping this week yet. Will probably get some bits today.
    Hope everyone has a good day.
    FS x
    Jan GC £298.62/£300 Feb £298.01/£300 March £331.06/£300 April £69.96/£300
    Learning to accept the things i cannot change
  • Morning did a big shop yesterday in sain$bury$, very impressed as i spent £92.97 but using various coupons and voucher including a £12 off £60 spend and a £11 off £55 spend i managed to get my shop down to £53.02p, think i might now have to join the eating out of the cupboards challenge all the cupboards are fit to burst.

Thankyou for the mars bar cake recipe (sorry forgotten who it was) it is delish and will be lethal for my waistline.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • ixia
    ixia Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    keep up the good work everyone, I need to dig out receipts for my spends during the week and I still have to do a shop this week but going to try and keep it low as I have spent too much money this month already on other things.

I will update later.
  • Morning All

I spent 70.50 this week so still on track. I should have had a cheaper week but I succumbed to offers on tins of Cadbury Heroes.

I've bought 2 tins to take into work as a christmas treat for the people in my office. The touble is they've only been in the house for a day and they are already driving me mad. I can here them calling to me; it will be a miracle if they last 8 weeks.
  • XSpender
    XSpender Posts: 3,811 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Morning everyone

I have been spending again and am now over budget. The only positive is that I have noted down every single thing I have bought tis month inlcuding little things like a cup of tea at work, big shops, top up shops and takeaways so I feel that I will have a good idea of what I have spent and where I can economise next month.

I have 11 days left before pay day and will need milk, bread, fruit and yogurts and some meat for DH but I am going to try and use up what I have in my freezer/cupboards and avoid a big shop until pay day when I have £14 worth of vouchers to use. I may use my nectar points this week to help keep costs down, only got £5 though.

One thing I am considering for next month is doing a bulk meat shop at C0stco of sausages, good burgers, steak and pork steaks for DH and see if this helps me to avoid going to the shop when DH 'fancies' something different or I can't think what to feed him. I am veggie so all mince/chicken pieces meals are made with qu0rn so we can share.

The alcohol part of my budget is only slightly over target and as we are at social events next Friday and Saturday night and I have decided not to have the odd beer during the week and leave it until the weekend this should help too.

I am also challenging myself to cook from scratch twice a week from next week. Sounds easy but Monday and Wednesday DH or I are at exercise classes, Tuesday I am at college and I have to fit in home work for this course and another I am doing through work my ft job and spend some quality time with DS age 17 months:eek: This is where I need to start batch cooking again to save some time:)

Enjoy your Sunday x
    Save £10,500 - £2673.77 - 25.5%
    Pay off £7000 - £1743 - 19.4%
    Make £2021 extra income - £99.75
  • hjanea
    hjanea Posts: 121 Forumite
    Morning!!
    NSD yesterday but spent £17.34 in Mr S on friday-some of it on rubbish!! Was planning an NSD today but stupidly asked DD what she would like for tea as she was upset about going out with her dad-pizza. So we are going shopping. I've got my veg soup on and have realised that I'll need potatoes and carrots for tomorrow so will get those as well.
    Helen. Single mum to DD(7) and 2 siamese cats. Trying to decrease my debt and spending and increase my savings and lose weight-30lbs so far!
    Sealed pot challenge-1373-2011-£80.52!!!! .Disney savings-£378.17 + sealed pot.
    CCs-virgin1-73.58,virgin2-131.44,fluid-1650.75,sainsburys-1289.56-all 0%.Total-3145.33
    August GC- 44.91/ 250. NSDs-2/3.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport