Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lee
    Real Life MMD: Should I ask the bride for my money back?
    • 30th Dec 10, 4:48 PM
    Real Life MMD: Should I ask the bride for my money back? 30th Dec 10 at 4:48 PM
    Please give this MoneySaver the benefit of your advice...

Should I ask the bride for my money back?

I was attending a wedding in Scotland and the bride had recommended a hotel to stay in, saying she would book it. She texted me to confirm, so I transferred 120 into her account to pay for it. When I went to check out of the hotel, I was presented with a bill of 120. I queried the matter, thinking that the bride had paid when booking, but obviously she hadn't. I know the she is unaware I paid her the 120 a couple of months before, so should I ask for the money back?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Page 1
    • lemony_7
    • By lemony_7 4th Jan 11, 8:55 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    lemony_7
    • 4th Jan 11, 8:55 PM
    • 4th Jan 11, 8:55 PM
    Yeah definitely! With all the stress of the wedding she probably just forgot you'd already transferred it. But it's your money at the end of the day - you worked hard for that money so don't be afraid of asking for it back
  • emz118
    • 4th Jan 11, 8:58 PM
    • 4th Jan 11, 8:58 PM
    Yes, ask for it back! That's a lot of money to lose out on.

(But maybe wait until she's back from honeymoon?!?)
    First date 10.2.2002
    Engaged 18.8.2010
    Wedding 9.4.2012
    Baby #1 due 26.2.2014
    • SamW
    • By SamW 4th Jan 11, 9:02 PM
    • 324 Posts
    • 7,325 Thanks
    SamW
    • 4th Jan 11, 9:02 PM
    • 4th Jan 11, 9:02 PM
    Yeah ask for it back. It seems like a simple oversight.
    Just bring it up in conversation casually - she'll probably be embarrassed at it!
    Good Luck!
  • sammy_wheeler
    • 4th Jan 11, 9:08 PM
    yes defintely
    Is a married woman!! 23rd July 2011 Best day of my life!

TTC first baby Jan 2013
  • mayling03
    Yes definitely ask for it back and be prepared, bring any bank statement to show her where you have transferred it to and the receipt from the hotel (which I hope you requested for).
    • Jettycat
    • By Jettycat 4th Jan 11, 9:46 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Jettycat
    • 4th Jan 11, 9:46 PM
    Definately!
    I'd mention that you had to pay and ask her to check whether or not the money went into her account as otherwise you need to ask the bank where it did go.
  • ruthybee
    Yes, ask for it back. She should be able to see it on her bank statement and you'll resent it (her) for years if you don't
  • sysky
    • 4th Jan 11, 9:52 PM
    • 4th Jan 11, 9:52 PM
    of course should you ask for it back, its your money!
  • euterpe13
    Of course - simply confirm to her date of transfer into her account, send her a copy of hotel bill, and ask her to transfer money back to your account - simples
  • redkids1972
    Yeah deffo ask
    New to comping 11/2/2013

Feb wins to date: 0lympic messenger bag, 100
    • anne99
    • By anne99 4th Jan 11, 10:23 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    anne99
    I would defo raise it with her. There is a second possibility - the hotel may have already received payment from her, and have billed you a second time in error. You'll never sort out what really happened without talking to the bride.
    • RainbowDrops
    • By RainbowDrops 4th Jan 11, 10:28 PM
    • 4,498 Posts
    • 4,867 Thanks
    RainbowDrops
    Another yes here - and do it sooner rather than later.
    If you see here regularly, mention it next time you see her.
    Otherwise drop her an email or phone her.
  • Lorne
    Another yes from me!
    Thanks for the advice Martin!
    Member no. 920 - Proud to be dealing with our debts
  • bogwart
    Of course you should take up the matter with her and ask for the return of your money. I really don't see the dilemma here.
    • RedSkywalker
    • By RedSkywalker 4th Jan 11, 11:47 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    RedSkywalker
    I would defo raise it with her. There is a second possibility - the hotel may have already received payment from her, and have billed you a second time in error. You'll never sort out what really happened without talking to the bride.
    Originally posted by anne99
    Couldn't agree more; to be honest I think the hotel charging twice is the most likely explanation!
    • Bettie
    • By Bettie 5th Jan 11, 12:02 AM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 1,191 Thanks
    Bettie
    It could be that the hotel asked for her card number and she thought they had stopped the money whereas they only want the number as a security thing. It happened to me, I booked a hotel, gave my number over the phone and then later when I stayed, I thought I had paid already. Last day I packed my bag and was just getting in the car to go home when the receptionist came running out to ask for payment, they thought I was doing a runner. I was SO embarrassed.
    • VT82
    • By VT82 5th Jan 11, 12:03 AM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 854 Thanks
    VT82
    Yes but be a little coy about it - say that you think the hotel might have double charged for your room as you had to pay even though you thought she had. This will jog her memory that she owes you your money back.
  • JuliaJolie
    Maybe wait until she's back from the honeymoon before actually calling her. But yeah, ask for it back. As someone else said, it may be the case that the hotel charged both of you.

Maybe call the hotel first to be on the safe side so you know if there was a mix-up.
    ~ R.I.P Heath Ledger, George Carlin, Stan Winston ~
    • Talent
    • By Talent 5th Jan 11, 2:32 AM
    • 244 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    Talent
    You have to mention it to her as the hotel could have made a mistake (or something!). Take it from there.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

49Posts Today

3,379Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin