Real Life MMD: Should I ask the bride for my money back?

Comments

• Saetana
    Saetana Posts: 1,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 January 2011 at 7:32AM
    This is a bit of a no-brainer in my opinion - the answer is definitely Yes, just mention it casually that the hotel charged you after you had given her the money to pay and you wondered if they had made a mistake. Hopefully its just an oversight on her part, although I personally would notice I had an extra £120 on my bank balance :)
    2020 Wins:
  • Shalva
    Shalva Posts: 254 Forumite
    yes ....no doubt about it.....
  • xaulleo
    xaulleo Posts: 46 Forumite
    If she is still on honeymoon and you are worrying about it, call the hotel and check that they didn't double charge - if you have a date when she booked the room (and should have paid) that will help too.

If you are happy to now though, talk to her! Of course! It's your money and I think the idea that you say to her that you are concerned the hotel doubled charged is fair enough. I had a similar situation - which ended up being the hotel's mistake - and no-one took offence when I questioned if they'd paid. They understood.
  • Definitely ask for your money back when she's back from her honeymoon but check with hotel first.

If she had booked your room for you, she may have booked rooms at the same hotel for other people as well, so what happened to them? Did they pay the bride in advance and were they also charged on leaving the hotel? Or did only some people pay in advance?
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm not sure where the 'money moral dilemma' comes in here - there has obviously been some confusion or misunderstanding, and it should be an easy matter to sort it out.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • gaily
    gaily Posts: 190 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 January 2011 at 9:51AM
    It's not as if it's a Travel Lodge £29 (or even £9) a night room.

Definitely raise it with her, but I think this thread has now turned to more of a HOW to raise the issue with the bride rather than should you raise with the bride.

I'd go on the 'I think the hotel may have double charged' tack, that way you aren't blaming her.
    BTW, she's probably a bit skint after the wedding/honeymoon, and may not have noticed the extra £120, so it's probably going to sting a bit, without you charging on in and blaming her for anything.
    Always on the hunt for a bargain. :rolleyes:

Always grateful for any hints, tips or guidance as to where the best deals are:smileyhea
  • RainbowDrops
    RainbowDrops Posts: 4,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Might also be worth checking with other guests to see if they had any issues.
  • Yes - but start the conversation on the basis that the hotel appears to have made a mistake.
    I wanna be Mortgage Free by February 2013
  • Yes, definitely. from what you say the money is yours and an honest mistake has occurred.
    please keep in mind that she may not have realised that the money was for the room and thought it was a wedding gift from one of the guests but go and get your money.
  • bindods
    bindods Posts: 35 Forumite
    what's the big dilemma here? its a no brainer.

maybe next week we should have "I saw a kitten really thirsty on a hot day and it couldnt reach its saucer of milk, should I a) give it the milk or b) throw the kitten in a bin like some blackpool woman did recently?

c'mon, I thought the point of this thread is to actually have something controvercial?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure