Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • karebob
    • 26th Aug 04, 1:23 PM
    Re: Cleaning laminate flooring???
    • 26th Aug 04, 1:23 PM
    I get the dust off with one of those swiffer things then mop with Pledge soapy wood wash, making sure the mop is well rung out. I don't like the idea of those squirty/cleany gadgets.

Will be good to hear of any other suggestions though ;D
  • cathy
    • 26th Aug 04, 1:55 PM
    • 26th Aug 04, 1:55 PM
    I've got the pergo laminate in the dining room and kitchen, and they recomend a cup of vinegar (honest) to a gallon of water.

I hoover mine with the hose attatchment and then mop with about 3 times a week because its in such a high use area and its fine, I use the vinegar solution about once a week.

• frances2
    • 26th Aug 04, 2:17 PM
    • 26th Aug 04, 2:17 PM
    I hoover mine there is no other way I can deal with the shedding of my Goldie!

Then I do a hands and knees job with a bucket of flash and a floor cloth- well wrung out. I also use a floor cloth with flash etc. under a rubber broom that works well for a quick freshen up.

For dirty marks I really don't think you can beat hands and knees. I have tried swiffers, california dusters and lots of others, but always come back to hands and knees!
    • Munkee
    • By Munkee 26th Aug 04, 3:50 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Munkee
    • 26th Aug 04, 3:50 PM
    • 26th Aug 04, 3:50 PM
    With a dog and a rabbit I am forever hoovering great clumps of fur. Hoover the main room as you would normally then go round the edges with the nozzle.

When cleaning, don't use a string mop of one of those vileda-type ones where the cloth is cut into strips - invest in a sponge mop where you can wring the water out easily (asda do their own version for under a fiver), put a drop of flash or zoflora in a bucket of hot water and mop away.

You might find the odd streak but buff it with a soft cloth.

Sorted !
  • cathy
    • 26th Aug 04, 4:20 PM
    • 26th Aug 04, 4:20 PM
    I invested in a micro fibre mop

its like the pledge dust mop but bigger

you take off the microfibre part attatched by velcro and wet it stick it back and away you go, it gets all the scuff marks off and the ingrained bits

great

had it about 5 years now off qvc two cloths with it so one to wash and one to polish and still going strong

• nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 26th Aug 04, 4:57 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    • 26th Aug 04, 4:57 PM
    • 26th Aug 04, 4:57 PM
    I use the Flash spray mop and it is great on laminates and floor tiles. I know what you mean about pushing the dust around, my tumble dryer fluff goes everywhere!!
  • Allexie
    • 26th Aug 04, 5:59 PM
    • 26th Aug 04, 5:59 PM
    hmmm..food for thought...thanks! Will look into the microfibre-thingummy-dos for the sweepin' and dustin' bit. Might still be the old hands and knees jobby tho for the thorough cleaning. Can't believe I have to do that...good grief it is the 21st century isn't it.....why can't someone invent a really good gizmo to do the job properly!!!!! > >
  • cathy
    • 26th Aug 04, 6:55 PM
    • 26th Aug 04, 6:55 PM
    just whip round when your down there anyway washing the skirting boards

think of the calories your burning off

if your windows and floors are messy

forget about cleaning up the whole place looks dirty doesnt it

• Js_Other_Half
    • By Js_Other_Half 29th Aug 04, 3:48 AM
    • 3,076 Posts
    • 2,314 Thanks
    Js_Other_Half
    We use a microfibre mop too- and you only use water with it, so environmentally friendly (and cheap!)

I got mine from http://www.lakelandlimited.com, and the pads are machine washable.
    • amd
    • By amd 29th Aug 04, 1:12 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    amd
    Get yourself on the Lidl and Aldi newsletter emails.

I got a fab microfibre mop (complete with 2 pads - one has fine scrubby bits too) and a pair of spare pads for the grand total of 7 from Aldi earlier this summer - they will come round again so don't miss them.

We have stripped floors all round the house and I reckon they're great. I hoover most days (we seem to shed an extreme amount of hair and it all ends up on the rugs along with all the crumbs the kids drop!!) but for a quick clean up I whiz round with the dry pad. For mopping use one wet - just water, I use a wee squirt of a trigger kitchen spray on the grotty bits and off I go! They are much larger then a normal mop so it's SOOOO quick!

Might try the vinegar - saw a fab discussion somewhere on this forum with a million uses for vinegar.

• Allexie
    Get yourself on the Lidl and Aldi newsletter emails. !

I got a fab microfibre mop (complete with 2 pads - one has fine scrubby bits too) and a pair of spare pads for the grand total of 7 from Aldi earlier this summer - they will come round again so don't miss them. !
    Looks like microfibre mop might be the answer then. Funny but I got the Adli newsletter just now....ooooh....I want that laptop!!! ;D
  • cathy
    I saw that mop in liddl and it looked good

what lap top

vinegar brings the laminates up lovely

;D happy sunday everyone Im off to wash ALL the walls in the house

*sigh

(theyre a bit nicoteeny, the old fart has a lot to answer for) : :
    • vansboy
    • By vansboy 29th Aug 04, 7:08 PM
    • 6,398 Posts
    • 4,928 Thanks
    vansboy
    HANDS N KNEES, for me, too!!Fairy liquid on a sponge, then rinse/dry with a synthetic leather.

You could also try one of those flexible plastic blades, they sell in Halfords. Thats what I use on the windows, too, no streaks, quick & just leaves the edges of the frame to wipe dry!

VB
  • karebob
    happy sunday everyone Im off to wash ALL the walls in the house
    what do you wash your walls with Cathy?

Vinegar, borax, washing soda or bicarb

mine could do with a wash, bit nicoteeny too.

• cathy
    bucket of hot water, washing soda crystals, big car sponge and away you go. ;D ;D ;D

I finished the walls, (7 of them) burned off about 8 stones, !the old fart helped I must admit, he did the tops and I did the middle downwards ! !then all the doors and frames and skirtings then the window frames (all 13 of them) and now were exhausted but god, does the place look cleaner!!!!!
  • karebob
    Thanks Cathy.

I will be having a go when I get in one of my wanna clean everything moods.

You've more tips than Kim & Aggie

• IZANE
    Hi,

I was told when we had our laminate floor laid that I should not get it wet when cleaning so I have been spending extortionate amounts on Pledge Laminate floor cleaning cloths but having read this thread it sounds like I can use water and cleaner.

Are your floors still ok ? Do you think my floor will be ok if I use a normal cleaner or even the vinegar solution ?

• karebob
    Izane, i have used water with a well rung out vileda mop since I had my laminate floor four years ago, its fine.

I have been using pledge soapy wood wash but I will try with the vinegar.

If you make sure the mops well rung out I'm sure it will not do any harm
    • Glad
    • By Glad 6th Sep 04, 6:04 PM
    • 17,979 Posts
    • 40,001 Thanks
    Glad
    I've used the Lakeland Plastics 'Laminate floor wash and shine' SEE HERE and it was wonderful,
    says it will do 10 washes but that is using 100ml in 10 litres water, but I only used 25 ml in 2.5 litres and enough for a large floor
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,413Posts Today

8,123Users online

Martin's Twitter