PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    greent wrote: »
    ....loads of ideas for weddings on a small budget on here. The important bit is the getting married - not a huge party, fancy clothes, exotic honeymoon, etc...The Special Occasions Board is really good for doing things on a budget. Plus I agree with the sentiment that the 'marriage' is the most important aspect of any 'wedding'. You only have to look at all the slebs who've reportedly spent 100s of £1000s & it's still gone wrong :o And if you do 'quiet' now, you can always save up for 'blow-out' to celebrate a milestone anniversary..just a thought....
    Booger! I've got into buying this for my many cups of tea (was previously using red Cravendale) :( I noticed that the Sainsburys orange milk was more expensive at the weekend than when I last bought it - although I can't remember if I bought it on an offer......
    I'm afraid I've got a bit carried away with all this money-saving after following the 4k & associate Challenges last year. I've set myself up some spreadsheets & now absolutely everything I buy or pay, is recorded on there. cw18 has an excellent version & other info is on the current thread HERE but I'm still new to pootary stuff & have got a system that I can manage for now :D Anyhoo--in my land there are columns for price per kilo, value of any special offers [whoopsies go in there too], pack weight & where I bought it. There's sections for meter readings, vouchers I've been able to use, gifts & so on & for the purpose of the Grocery Challenge, anything I define as an 'Other' is excluded. This could be a loaf I've bought for me muvva or a new bowl for Pup but basic toiletries, first aid stuff, batteries etc goes in 'Store' & IS included. It's been a while to get it this 'organised' & I anticipate further tweaking will continue, but on the whole it's working for me :p Tis surprising when you look back a couple of months...
    £108 for fiance, me and 2 old rats please for 1st of May to 31st of May.
    We did go over our budget for April :o. I'm hoping we can stay in budget for May or I may have to think about putting the budget up :eek: when I'd rather it go down.
    I think we'd all like it to go down, but when our favourite toothpaste goes up 6p a time :mad: AND it's a store's own :wall:
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    hi...i need to go to the bank and fill up the gc purse...left from last week £0 unusual i normally have a few bob left but im spent up

im going to head to tesco later to have a look at the cooked chicken...down to £2 but i think they are small so ill prob not bother....i also need too get fruit and veg....and decide what we are eating over the weekend

have a nice day
    tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Hi all

Not been keeping control lately and really really want to change that and need to as well !! I guess I have to get my head round meal planning and being organised enough to stick to it! There are 3 of us (DH, teenage DD and me), 7 cats and 2 dogs. I am aiming for £320 this month please, may have to have a rethink onincluding the cats in this budget though, will see how the month progresses.

Good luck to everyone for May and many many thanks to those who keep these valuable threads running. x
  • Kadeeae
    Kadeeae Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Post
    Just wanted to pop in and wish everyone good luck for May's challenge :)

May we all come at least 1/4 under budget! Well you can't stop one from dreaming can you? :rotfl:
  • Trinny
    Trinny Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Post
    Hello All

My Budget will again be £150 please.

Thanks

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May £39.47/£55. June £47.20/£50. July £38.44/£50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    £2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011:)
  • Maisie_M
    Maisie_M Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks to all those who run this thread.

Please put me down for £150 this month. Have managed quite well on £200 for the past 3 months so need to up my challenge:D

Thank you
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    Thanks for the new Fred ladies! Can I please be put down again for £300? This is to include all domestic spends, including Window cleaner, petrol, dog stuff etc. Blew the budget in April, but hoping some of my "grow your own" stuff will help, and have a good supply in and stuff from Approved Foods. We need a fingers crossed smiley!
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • I hope this is the right thread, I have a great OS recipe someone has just sent me from a different site. I hope you like it. I am going to try it out this month.

CHICKEN ADOBO

Here is one of my favourite meals - a simple, popular at-home dish for many Filipinos. Usually served with plain white rice. No strict recipe but the following has been replicated successfully so far:

Several chicken pieces with skin (whatever - legs, thighs, whole chicken cut up)
    1 ½ onion, chopped (not too small)
    3-4 tbsp of cooking oil (yes, it might seem like a lot)
    3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
    200ml dark soy sauce
    1/3 cup white vinegar
    1 ½ c water
    A few (2-3) bay leaves (I like to use more, depending on size of the dish)
    1 generous tbsp sugar
    freshly ground black pepper
    Optional - potatoes, a few small ones, peeled and chopped. This is not a traditional ingredient but it tastes soo good with!

Use a large pot. Best to use a pot which can accommodate all the chicken pieces in more or less one layer.
    Rinse and pat dry the chicken pieces. Saute the onion in the oil. Add the chicken pieces and stir fry for a few minutes until sealed. Add the garlic as the chicken is browning. Now mix the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and water together and add to the pot. Stir well. Add the bay leaves and the pepper. Stir again and bring to boil, then reduce to moderate simmer (add chopped potatoes now if using), covered, on low heat for about 30 minutes.

Basically the liquid should almost be level with the meat at the beginning. So after practice you'll be able to adjust the liquid amount accordingly for more or less meat. The proportion of soy/vinegar also can be adjusted to your taste. Some people use more vinegar, some use a lot more garlic (like a whole head) - it is up to you. Also works well substituting pork or mixing pork and chicken. A classic "tastes even better the next day" dish, if you are lucky to have leftovers.
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    ....head to tesco later to have a look at the cooked chicken...down to £2 but i think they are small so ill prob not bother...
    I got one on Weds as I was later getting home than I thought. It was described as 'large' & although it didn't look it we've managed 6 decent portions off it, if that's any help.
    Joanie72 wrote: »
    Doh . . . forgot to say I'm going to take the chip away option, so reckon 10% cut this month should help. That works at an obscene sounding £720 for May. Surely that's loads?!
    I thought £7a day was being generous for 4 adults, 2 pets & everything included like bin bags, but then realised that came out as 50p per person per meal & 50p per pet per day. That is very low go so I've gone up another 50p per day.
    "2 adults, 2 kids, 4 cats, a dog, a rabbit, 3 extra kids every other weekend, and cover petrol, clothes and toiletries for all. That also covers days out and such." If perhaps you took the extra children & added on the rabbit & two of the cats, you could say you are budgeting for 5 humans, 2 cats & a dog every day. Three meals x 5, + 1 x 3 = 18 separate meals. 720 divided by 558 gives you £1.34 per meal x 18 = £24:12 budget a day. Doesn't sound as much then :D

All I've done is confuzzle mesen really, but this is a little of how I work my budgets. I began my Grocery Challenge with an 'all in' figure & slowly--over the months--have found what I can and cannot change. Using the very basic formula I've created above, I then have a better understanding of what is realistically achievable.
    Sorry if I've bored you all yet again :o
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• kirstygem
    kirstygem Posts: 29 Forumite
    Hi can I please join this challenge and aim for £300 for the month of may. Thats kind of a guess where i hope it is and then will try and cut down even more when have better idea of exact amount. There are 2 adults and 2 toddlers to feed from that. OH works away during week so cook seperate meals for him at weekends to take away with him or he just wastes money on junk food.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure