New Post Advanced Search

May 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 April 2010 at 6:30PM in Old Style MoneySaving
812 replies 65.1K views

Replies

• MrsWoolfeMrsWoolfe Forumite
    265 posts
    Hello all :wave:

I'm a long time lurker, but would like to join the challenge this month for the first time...have had a look over our receipts and bank statements...scary when you see 4 visits to the supermarket in a few days :eek:...

So to start us off can I have a target of £240 ?

That's for two adults, but we also have a big "do" at the end of the month for our joint birthday party...should be okay as our group of friends tend to each bring a dish whenever we have a get together...but my Mauritian upbringing just won't let me have people over without feeding them lots of yummy food...will just have to make sure I don't go over board and cook for an army:D

THanks

MrsWoolfe
    If you're afraid of the big bad Woolfe....beware of the Mrs!:rotfl:

Moved into our first home 31.12.10:jLoving our little House on a Hill:D
  • missed last month due to manic work, so back in and for £85 ty :)

ioiwe :)
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• cookiemumcookiemum Forumite
    139 posts
    Ninth Anniversary
    Please can you put me down for £300 for May.

I'm aiming to reduce it slightly each month so no-one notices. A fun night of meal planning ahead!

Good luck everyone.:)

February Grocery Challenge £301.46/300
    To feed - Me, DH, DD, DS and 1 dog

• positivelypurplepositivelypurple Forumite
    402 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the new thread :j We were £14 over budget last month but I'm fairly sure it was stock pile items.

I'm going for £340 again this month please.

DH going to do the shop for me this weekend as I've got a poorly little one. I didn't have chance to do a proper list so hope that he just gets the 'usual'. :o
    CC1 £ CC2 £ Total Debt May 14 £[STRIKE][/STRIKE]:mad: :eek:
    NSDs October 0/20
    Weight Loss 0/10
    Pay off £4000 by 31st December 2020
  • russetredrussetred Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone been a bit MIA lately but I'm okay.DS1 is still not right but we think he maybe having nightmares and unable to tell dreams from reality so probably a visit to the GP for a referral.

Gc surprisingly is going well.Finally managed to defrost and then fill my freezer again with loads of whoopsied meat.I've spent 28% of budget and only 32% through the year if that makes sense!

I was going to use the Lidl voucher in Mr T today but apparently they dont do them anymore so actually used Lidl.I spent £25.45 and bought loads of butter, bread flour,tin toms and reduced sausages so that'll keep us going for a few weekend grill ups.

Have a good bank holiday everyone.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • SpiggleSpiggle Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks to Pink-winged, MrsMCawber and rosieben for keeping us going and providing their valuable support. :A

I have posted this on the April thread but just incase you didn't see it, please put me down for £240 budget for May MrsMc, thank you. :T

We came under again in April (sig is updated) and so are shaving another £20 off the budget. I want to keep reducing but really don't want to make a huge leap down and then get disheartened if we set the budget too low. Also sticking with a nsd target of 18/30 it was very tight in April and only just made it. :o

Oh, posted this on the April thread but wondered if anyone who has already started May could have answers too. :)

Does anyone grow courgettes in planters on the patio? We used to grow them in the ground and I'm wary of the effect of wind blowing them over with the big leaves. But they are so decorative and we buy a lot of them. Similarly, there are a lot of pepper plants around - again something we buy and eat large quantities of - does anyone have any success growing them in pots on the patio or do they need the shelter of a greenhouse?

Maybe I should add that we garden totally organically and so any tips regarding fending off slugs and snails really appreciated - we have just bought the copper tape for my clematis pots so I'll see how that goes and let you know.

Welcome all the newbies and good luck all for the new month,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • edited 30 April 2010 at 3:15PM
    franby64franby64 Forumite
    937 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    edited 30 April 2010 at 3:15PM
    Afternoon

Many thanks to Pink-winged, Mrs M and Rosieben for running the thread :)

I had planned to get straight in April but due to me spending too much money May is going to be another lean month.
    I've warned everybody that I'm going to be really tightfisted this month and hopefully I can straighten things out by June :D.

Anyway can you put me down for £400 for May please . This is a bit low really but needs must. I've already dispatched @ £100 of it and I still haven't got round to doing a food check and meal plan - I will do this this evening for the new month!

Have a good frugal month everybody.
    May Shopping Challenge. 10/5. Budget £310 Spent £118.25.. £191.75 left. So £9.13 a day.
  • Hello, could you put me down for £300, please. That's for all meals for me DH and DD (16mths), incl toiletries, treats for dog, cleaning products...going to be tight as we've already cut down from £550 to £350!

Tks,

ACx
    MF-WANNABE
    OP pot on 30 April 2010: £1,003
    Target for OP pot in order to be MG-free by 1 April 2014: £55,000 :eek:
    GC (£300): May £0/£300
  • Billie-joBillie-jo Forumite
    1.2K posts
    First spend of the May GC and it was £32.97 It would have been slightly less but then found some whoopsied steak so it came home with us :rotfl:It cost £3.86 and was originally almost double that.

Also got a bag of scampi but at £4.99 :eek: I think it was a rip off and will only do one meal for DS as he eats the whole bag - swings and roundabouts comes to mind. :( Will deffinately be looking for some cheaper than this next time and am kicking myself for buying it :mad:

Hopefully apart from bread, Staffordshire oatcakes and maybe some fruit this should be all until Tuesday at least.

Yesterday we had liver, onions, brocolli and mash its not normally one of my favourite meals but have to say it was gorgeous and at under a £1 per person it very MS :T

Got some local Asparagus £2 for large bunch and will have this tonight. DH will have his steamed with some pasta but I prefer it with salad a poached egg and garlic bread. DS can have the scampi as he doesnt like Asparagus.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • boultdjboultdj Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spiggle wrote: »

Does anyone grow courgettes in planters on the patio? We used to grow them in the ground and I'm wary of the effect of wind blowing them over with the big leaves. But they are so decorative and we buy a lot of them. Similarly, there are a lot of pepper plants around - again something we buy and eat large quantities of - does anyone have any success growing them in pots on the patio or do they need the shelter of a greenhouse?

Maybe I should add that we garden totally organically and so any tips regarding fending off slugs and snails really appreciated - we have just bought the copper tape for my clematis pots so I'll see how that goes and let you know.

Welcome all the newbies and good luck all for the new month,
    Spigs
    Spigs I grow courgett's,chillies,pepper's + runner beans in pot's, have done for year's,alway's outside but in a sheltered part of the garden, adopt a hedgehog is the best thing 4 slug's that I'v had work 4 me:).hth See every1 in a few day's when I go shopping.
    Grocery Challenge
    August £300/ £63.83
    July £350/ £332.76
    2020 club