Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

May 2010 Grocery Challenge - Page 9

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

May 2010 Grocery Challenge

edited 28 April 2010 at 5:30PM in Old Style MoneySaving
812 replies 65.2K views

Replies

• MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Morning all

Reporting in with another spend ...can see my number of NSDs dropping whilst Im doing Slimming world :(-but hey ho I can still keep within budget -Yesterday we were tootling past and outdoor market so popped to see what their fruit was like - I got:-
    • 3kg oranges €3
    • 3kg apples €2
    • 2 big punnets strawberries €2
    which takes me to 7kg apples and 4kg oranges in the house :o....*and its only me that eats fruit* -I have to say though that if it lasts me all we I will be suprised :rotfl:

I also picked up 4 packs of back bacon from the NAAFI whilst its still on BOGOF -so €7.90 there ....
    So I need to add €14.90 to my spends,,

The Slimming world beef rogan josh I made went down a storm last night :jand I don't even like curry :think: -so that is on the "repeat" list,

Today we are having jacket potatoes, cottage cheese and salad for lunch and then Im doing chicken stirfry with a SW recipe for chinese 5 spice sauce for dinner mmmmmmmmm

I should be safe in saying there will be no more spending for the next 3 days *thankyou bankholiday* :rotfl:

Hope everyone has a great weekend...

Almost forgot -Spiggle -I grew everything in pots for the last couple of years and courgettes, peppers etc did fine -I just made sure I put plenty of food in the bottom of the pot before the compost -the courgettes will still get big and have a tendancy to lop over in the wind, but if you get short pea canes you can spike them in between the big "arms" of the plant and stop them moving ;)
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • WelshWooferWelshWoofer Forumite
    5.1K posts
    I'm off to do the weekly shop today.
    I'm going to try going to Mr S (have some Nectar points to spend), Aldi (next door to Mr S) and the cheap shop to see if there's any benefit in doing that for me rather than a quick whizz round the massive Mr T.

Oh, and I have to go to the butchers for meat for OH.

Will let you know how I get on later. £45 or less is the aim (less I hope!)

Good to see you posting again Mrs Mc - missed your updates!
    January grocery spending - £82.73/ £120
  • CaraLawCaraLaw Forumite
    17 posts
    Hi, I'd like to join in please. I'm going to aim for £300 for this month. This is what I *think* I spend currently. Though shall keep all receipts etc to see what it actually is and then I can try to reduce it sensibly over the on-coming months. There are two adults in the house, one child and a cat - and a fussy one at that!
    I swim, so I can eat more cake...
  • lilian1977lilian1977 Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone - well, we've just got married so have been eating and drinking well for the past month - that's now left a big hole in our current accounts so we have decided to have a VERY frugal May and only spend £15 per week on ALL food - I'm going to say that's about £65 for the month to feed two adults.

I've never done this challenge before so will be reading through all the posts with interest - I usually meal plan but this has fallen by the wayside the past few weeks so that needs taking up again. Have stockchecked the freezer and found quite a bit in there that I didn't know was there, and am going to tackle the dry goods later on.

So, fingers crossed we can do it! If we can, I might try it again for June.

My debt free diary
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • Good morning everyone,

my sister has just phoned to say that she has left fish in her fridge for me. So guess I am making fish pie today for dinner. Will pick it up after I have been to supermarket. Have made my shopping list and plan to stick to it with no deviations.:( Famous last words!!

Sun shining here so might be able to spend a couple of hours working in the garden later.

Have a frugal day.:)
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • AquamarinaAquamarina Forumite
    96 posts
    Good Morning,
    Please could I join this challenge? I'm going to aim for £350 for the month. This will include food and household products (cleaning etc) but NOT alcohol! I need to deal with this seperately :-) This is for me, DH and three little DDs.

• SpiggleSpiggle Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    MRSMCAWBER wrote: »
    Almost forgot -Spiggle -I grew everything in pots for the last couple of years and courgettes, peppers etc did fine -I just made sure I put plenty of food in the bottom of the pot before the compost -the courgettes will still get big and have a tendancy to lop over in the wind, but if you get short pea canes you can spike them in between the big "arms" of the plant and stop them moving ;)

Thanks very much MRSMCAWBER, :A

I'll bear in mind your advice on the courgettes. I'm probably generalising far too much so forgive me but if you can grow peppers successfully in pots outside in Germany then they should be fine on the south Wales coast too. :cool: I'm thinking in terms of ripening of course.

We have a full bin of good HM compost (the other one got spread around the garden a month or so ago) and so I will use a fair bit of that at the base of the pots for both weight and food. Great tip though so thank you.

Have a great bank holiday,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • determined_new_msdetermined_new_ms Forumite
    7.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi can I join the challenge please? I unofficially did last month and only spent £195 :j but my dd has moved back home, is pregnant and doesn't the most frugal tastes :mad: so I'm going to aim for £230 but hope I can bring it in at less than that... Let's see :D
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • kitschykitschy Forumite
    597 posts
    Hello everyone!

Can I be put down for £75 please?

Will be back shortly to report spends as I'm off to Mr A/S now!

Good luck everyone :beer:
    Sainsbury's Savings Card £3.55
    March Grocery Challenge £0/£60
  • Due to vet bills and a holiday I need to be super frugal this month so can I be put down for £100 please. Thanks so much.

Last month was a total bust :(:o:mad: I will do better this time!