Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Lurleene
    • By Lurleene 23rd Mar 10, 11:19 PM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 4,987 Thanks
    Lurleene
    • 23rd Mar 10, 11:19 PM
    • 23rd Mar 10, 11:19 PM
    A simple ' as you've been so kind getting the bill at least let me cover the tip' should do the trick!
  • Freegan
    • 24th Mar 10, 12:24 AM
    • 24th Mar 10, 12:24 AM
    Whose respect does Janet wish to curry, John's or the waiter's?

Perhaps the waiter has offended John, unbeknown to Janet and John has pointedly omitted the tip or perhaps John objects to tipping, on principle.

Don't rock the boat, Janet and enjoy your night out.
    John has demonstrated that he's no tight-wad - although, perhaps, a closet chauvinist.

Unless, of course, Janet wishes to test the fragility of John's masculine ego.
    • scoobydoobydoo
    • By scoobydoobydoo 24th Mar 10, 12:38 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    scoobydoobydoo
    • 24th Mar 10, 12:38 AM
    • 24th Mar 10, 12:38 AM
    Yes and then refuse his offer of a second date for being cheap!

I am a waitress so I may be biased but before I did this job I always tipped for the service if it meritted it. The food may have been awful but if the server was obviously working hard and going out of their way to do everything they could then they would get a tip and the chef would get a complaint!

*I am a waitress so I may be biased* Who am I kidding?! I AM biased :-D
    Last edited by scoobydoobydoo; 24-03-2010 at 12:42 AM.
  • jonnythurston
    • 24th Mar 10, 12:40 AM
    • 24th Mar 10, 12:40 AM
    Luleene is spot on. Offer to cover the tip, as he has kindly paid for the meal. Shouldn't be an issue really unless he feels cheap by not tipping; which is his problem anyway!

A good little tester early on for Janet and John, good luck to them.
    Proudly cashing in since 2006. . .
    • scoobydoobydoo
    • By scoobydoobydoo 24th Mar 10, 12:41 AM
    • 111 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    scoobydoobydoo
    • 24th Mar 10, 12:41 AM
    • 24th Mar 10, 12:41 AM
    to add to above, I always checked that the tip was kept by the person it was given to.
  • airheadgreg
    • 24th Mar 10, 1:00 AM
    • 24th Mar 10, 1:00 AM
    It could simply be a mistake on John's part, I've forgotten more important things at restaurants because I've been having such a good time and chatting. So I agree with Luleene, if John then makes a comment after that it could justify not leaving a tip, or maybe it was a mistake, alternatively he may not tip on principle.
    I don't tip at certain chains because I know that the person I've tipped then has to put that into a jar for all the staff to benefit and that means picking up on the people who don't do a good job..
    • PoorPennilessMe
    • By PoorPennilessMe 24th Mar 10, 1:23 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    PoorPennilessMe
    • 24th Mar 10, 1:23 AM
    • 24th Mar 10, 1:23 AM
    A simple ' as you've been so kind getting the bill at least let me cover the tip' should do the trick!
    Originally posted by Lurleene
    As a gentleman (I use the word carefully!) who has been in this situation, I would be offended when paying for a meal if my companion did this.

It is the responsibility of the person paying. Leave it there!!!

And to all the ultra-feminists who want to pay (not that I have EVER met any...) then you pay next time and tip - or not - at your discretion.

Just to add - I have met and dated plenty of 'feminists' who are perfectly happy for the man to always pick up the bill.... How does that work out? And I've only ever been bought flowers once... I love flowers!!! Equal rights for men I say!!!
    Last edited by PoorPennilessMe; 24-03-2010 at 1:28 AM.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 24th Mar 10, 3:15 AM
    • 12,553 Posts
    • 11,735 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 24th Mar 10, 3:15 AM
    • 24th Mar 10, 3:15 AM
    its all in the wording- careful to say "let me do this" rather then "you forgot to tip".

And if theres a problem from the person paying the bill feeling less of a man/women, then maybe you wanna question if its the righ person for you- a disagreement over something minor like a tip to me is an alarm bell ringing- there are bigger things to worry about, this should not disrupt a relationship at worse would lead to a "discussion".
  • mr-tom
    If she wants to, then she should. A quick smile and "Can I leave a tip, then?" would do.

If John is pathetic enough that this would be a problem, then she probably won't want a second date any way...

She should also ensure that she always tips cash rather than card - there's far more chance of the waiter actually receiving it that way.
    • Taffybiker
    • By Taffybiker 24th Mar 10, 7:04 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Taffybiker
    [QUOTE=mr-tom;31156851 ...then she probably won't want a second date any way...
    [/QUOTE]

I don't know what you mean. Janet & John have already been together for decades, though if Mr. Wogan's stories are accurate then maybe they should separate

I think Janet should speak up, offering to leave the tip. Most likely John will then point out that his intention is to pay by card, but tip in cash.

I've noticed that tips can be added to the total and also paid by card - but I'm never sure about where it goes then.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 24th Mar 10, 8:27 AM
    • 6,454 Posts
    • 3,169 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    to add to above, I always checked that the tip was kept by the person it was given to.
    Originally posted by scoobydoobydoo
    Really? So you don't consider other serving staff who may have been to your table, or the chef's in the kitchen, who actually produced your food, worthy of tipping?

Nice to know.

(Or do you insist on visiting the kitchens to ensure that they get their share?)
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • misstipsycake
    Janet should say that she would like to leave the tip. John has been kind enough to pay the bill, so it is fair enough that Janet should leave the tip. If John is offended, then that's an issue that needs to be discussed - perhaps he does not believe in tipping?
  • jimbo24168
    No. The waiter is doing the job he/she is paid to do. They knew the rate of pay when they took on the job. How can you get "exceptional" service? the waiter brings the menu, writes down what you order, brings the food, clears the table...that's what he's paid to do.
  • crazy_horse_uk
    Jimbo - I'm sure the waiter is fully aware of the terms and conditions, as well as the restaurant's tips policy. Like City bankers (don't get me started) tips are considered part of the package, and it's churlish to avoid tipping. The first respondent got this absolutely right.

chuk
    • wildthing01
    • By wildthing01 24th Mar 10, 9:29 AM
    • 328 Posts
    • 2,237 Thanks
    wildthing01
    i agree with Lurleene - offer to pay the tip as John's been so kind in paying the bill. although i've never met a man yet who offered to pay the whole bill, and i'd probably feel really uncomfortable if he did. i'd also want to investigate further as to why john hadn't tipped - if it was anything other than a mere oversight, i'd have to think about whether he was the sort of man i wanted to have a relationship with.
    • consumers_revenge
    • By consumers_revenge 24th Mar 10, 9:32 AM
    • 3,150 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    consumers_revenge
    He should let her pay the tip if she wants.

Then take her to the burgerking drive through on there next date so he doesnt get in the same situation again :-)
  • pinkclouds
    No. John is entitled to his opinion - presumably that the service was lousy. If Janet wanted to tip then she should pay the entire bill and not go on a second date. (If they were married, then John would still be entitled to his opinion and they would have to agree on whether to tip from their shared funds.)
  • bexindevon
    Why should you leave a tip??

I don't get paid any tips for doing my job, so why should anyone else!

• jimbo24168
    He should let her pay the tip if she wants.

Then take her to the burgerking drive through on there next date so he doesnt get in the same situation again :-)
    Originally posted by consumers_revenge
    Will she expect him to tip the person that gives them their food through the window?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,459Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin