Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 2nd Mar 10, 9:27 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 2nd Mar 10, 9:27 PM
    • 2nd Mar 10, 9:27 PM
    If Jessica hadn't won, but lost, would her sister have coughed up half the stake money? I don't think so.

Jessica is under no obligation so Ashley should be grateful, 10% of 1000 is better than 100% of nothing.
  • Bridge_Teacher
    • 2nd Mar 10, 11:35 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should Ashley get more ?
    • 2nd Mar 10, 11:35 PM
    I agree with scotsbob - the money may have started life in Ashley's pocket, but she lent it to Jessica (presumably to do with as she wished).

If Jessica had bought a dress, would Ashley have expected to wear it half the time ?
    Or have expected to eat half of the ice-cream that Jessica bought or drink half of the cup of coffee that she bought . . . . . .
  • airheadgreg
    • 2nd Mar 10, 11:36 PM
    • 2nd Mar 10, 11:36 PM
    Jessica lent the money to Ashley, as long as she gets her 30 there should be no issues there, so she's lucky to get an extra 70!
  • rlp
    • 2nd Mar 10, 11:41 PM
    • 2nd Mar 10, 11:41 PM
    Ashley does not have a right to any more money but if I was Ashley I would be frustrated to see my sister gambling when she is broke. She won this time but it could easily be indicative of a habit which contributed to her being broke in the first place. I hate scratch cards as they get people hooked. A small percentage goes to charity but not enough to redeem them in my eyes.
    Last edited by rlp; 03-03-2010 at 8:29 AM. Reason: Got the names wrong!
  • LOUY
    • 3rd Mar 10, 1:13 AM
    • 3rd Mar 10, 1:13 AM
    She should be grateful and happy that she got 100quid !!!

The winning is the risk takers rewards. Jessie did not take any risk - apart from lend.

The bank lends money and only expects the money back (with interest). If I risked the money from the bank loan and made a lot of money, I am still only oblig to repay what I borrowed.
    Mortgage when started (Dec 2005): 120,000
    Current mortgage (March 2011): 98,563
    Update (Jan 2014): 89,639
    Mortgage free day: Jan 2034
  • robynprincess
    • 3rd Mar 10, 1:18 AM
    • 3rd Mar 10, 1:18 AM
    she should be grateful for the 100, it was 'leant' to her sister for her to do with as she pleases
  • janaltus
    • 3rd Mar 10, 6:55 AM
    • 3rd Mar 10, 6:55 AM
    Let's ignore greedy Ashley! I think Jessica should pay for MSE Penelope to go for a few extra English lessons. Maybe one hundred quid would cover the cost of learning how to spell and punctuate the scratch card retailer correctly, e.g. newsagent's shop (singular noun possessive) or newsagent (singular) or newsagents (plural).
    • poppy10
    • By poppy10 3rd Mar 10, 8:25 AM
    • 6,034 Posts
    • 7,297 Thanks
    poppy10
    • 3rd Mar 10, 8:25 AM
    • 3rd Mar 10, 8:25 AM
    Ashley's fault for lending her sister money to buy scratchcards. She shouldn't get a penny.
  • elliep
    I'm concerned that Jessica would gamble when she doesn't have any money of her own. However, this time it paid off. As long as Ashley gets her 30 back then Jessica doesn't have any obligation to give her any more. I think 100 is a nice thank you gift and Ashley is ungrateful and jealous to expect more.

The situation changes somewhat if Asley is frequently lending Jessica money and not always getting it back. If that is the case then I think a 50/50 split may be more appropriate.
    • minerva_windsong
    • By minerva_windsong 3rd Mar 10, 9:19 AM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 8,672 Thanks
    minerva_windsong
    Jessica lent the money to Ashley, as long as she gets her 30 there should be no issues there, so she's lucky to get an extra 70!
    Originally posted by airheadgreg
    This. If I was Ashley I'd just be happy to get my 30 back, so I'd feel very grateful to Jessica for offering me 100!

Of course if the lending money and the scratch cards are a regular thing, then I might think differently, but as it's described as being 'on the off chance' I think 100 is very generous.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Married my best friend 1st November 2014

Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • klarapie
    This was an episode of 'Due South' in the 90's, remember when Ray Vecchio bought the scratchcard and won and wouldn't give any to his sister?
    • joegw
    • By joegw 3rd Mar 10, 9:26 AM
    • 776 Posts
    • 4,520 Thanks
    joegw
    It's family, I would go halfs and then pay back the 30!
    • Dave Fowler
    • By Dave Fowler 3rd Mar 10, 9:31 AM
    • 488 Posts
    • 856 Thanks
    Dave Fowler
    If I were Ashley, Jessica would never get another penny of my money. If she is willing to potentially throw away the hard-earned cash loaned to her on the highly unlikely chance of winning on a lottery scratch card then she needs some debt counseling. The fact that she won with the card is only going to encourage her to continue with the destructive gambling habit.
  • Pellyman
    A good job this is fictitious or I could get really upset with Ashley. If she gets any post in support, the world's going mad.

However, Jessica is a bit unbelievable too. If she was 'broke' she should not be using part of a loan (big or small) to gamble - the odds against winning, even the lowest prize, are immense. Her offer of 100 is very sisterly and pitched at about the right level. "Snatch her hand off" Ashley, before you upset her and only get your 30 back.
    Last edited by Pellyman; 03-03-2010 at 9:40 AM.
  • cbrooks
    This post reminds me of the current banking situation, they used the interest on our money to gamble. They then lost all our money and begged for tax money to bail them out. Now that they have made a bit of a profit (using our cash) they give themselves a big bonus, where is my share.
  • Mystyfied
    This is a tough one!
    If this had been me skint and the same circumstances I would have given half without a doubt. I had nothing and without the loan would have still had nothing, however I would never have bought a scratch card with money lent me for shopping. I suspect the government keep a close eye on money spent on the national lottery and scratchcards etc and think if we can afford to do that then we can afford an income tax hike!!
    • cheerful
    • By cheerful 3rd Mar 10, 10:36 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    cheerful
    Ashley lends her 30 shopping money. Gambling is not shopping, therefore Jessica has been dishonest and borrowed the money under false pretences. Regardless of anything else, Jessica has abused her sister's generosity and ruined her own credibility.
  • NiggyG
    If she is willing to potentially throw away the hard-earned cash loaned to her on the highly unlikely chance of winning on a lottery scratch card then she needs some debt counseling.
    Originally posted by Dave Fowler
    Not necessarily, the scenario doesn't give the full context. It could be that Jessica just has a cash flow issue but is financially sound. If this isn't the case then gambling is silly. Giving 100 is a nice gesture, Ashley is being greedy by wanting more.
    • A.Jones
    • By A.Jones 3rd Mar 10, 10:40 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    A.Jones
    I would never lend her money again. She lied about why she wanted the money.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,976Posts Today

7,255Users online

Martin's Twitter