Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th May 09, 11:32 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th May 09, 11:32 PM
    June 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th May 09 at 11:32 PM
    Welcome to the June 2009 Grocery Challenge.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2009 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great June and good luck to everyone who's taking part!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-05-2009 at 9:55 AM.
Page 8
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 1st Jun 09, 11:50 AM
    • 2,295 Posts
    • 27,317 Thanks
    Coxy11
    Hello,

Just got back from MrT and spent 30.99 of which 6 on whoopsie meat for the freezer and 2.98 on hay fever tablets. Very pleased that aside from the whoopsies I stuck rigidly to my list. Quiche and salad for tea tonight - nommy.

Have a good day everyone.

Coxy
    xx
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Pretty Little London by Satsuma Street
    • scrummy-mummy
    • By scrummy-mummy 1st Jun 09, 12:11 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    scrummy-mummy
    I came under by a tiny bit May so I'm going to try for 350 for June please Mrs M.

Proud Mum to Scarlet born Feb 07 and James born Jan 09

Save
  • Intergalactic Floozie
    Ooooh la la! This is the first time I have let myself loose on a proper big shop! I had literally nothing left in the house to make a meal with so had no choice but to brave a big shop. I went to Farm Foods and stocked up on frozen stuff for 55.74, and next door to Lidl for a few bits for 2.88 so I'm waaaaaay over target for the time being but hopefully will catch myself up in a few days. I bought enough frozen stuff to feed us all for two weeks anyway.
    Start Date: 27/11/2010
    Padding: Day 42
    Target 8000
    Amount: 562.23
    • mouche
    • By mouche 1st Jun 09, 12:26 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 4,382 Thanks
    mouche
    First grocery shop on Saturday - technically my month starts today but there was no money left in the May fund so I'm calling it June.

Spent 16.16 and picked up enough stuff to last this week and some extra. I've done all the cooking for this week's meals too so I KNOW we won't need to buy anything else.

Also have about 30 worth of stuff coming in an Asda delivery tomorrow - heavy stuff that is difficult to carry home. Once that's in I hope we won't need to buy very much more till the end stages of the month when we're having a party at home. Am cautiously hopeful about sticking to the budget this month. fingers crossed.
    Mortgage (original/ current):193,000 (23/09/11)/ 131,290.03 (05/11/2018) MFW target for 2018: 2,406.04/ 3,000
    2017 Challenges: Make 300 a month: 29/300 (November) NSDs: 2/15 (November)
    Lose 3st 9lb: 0/3st 9lb
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 1st Jun 09, 12:30 PM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    spent 2.39 on bread and bananas today bringing my June target to 167 and its only the 1st of June

I am hoping that the remaining 7.41 will suffice for the rest of the week for milk and bread and then 30 week after that
  • scotsaver
    Apologies MRSMC - I haven't been logged on for over a week so missed the end of May GC, my total was 249.23 so just made it by the skin of my teeth. Can I please set June GC at 250 again please, already spent almost half of this as I've stocked up on loads and also had a trip to the Butchers.

I have managed to read through all the Posts, sorry I've not contributed for almost 2 weeks but been busy with Half Term and been trying to keep everything tidy in the Garden, everything starting to look good, had some Spinach Beet with dinner last night and the first of my Rocket in my sandwich at lunch today.

Dinner tonight will be Curry using some Pork left from last night and I'll add loads of peppers, mushrooms etc from the Freezer.

Welcome to all the Newbies and I promise to be good and try to keep up-to-date with the GC.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Boodle
    Meatloaf Recipe
    Made a meatloaf for Sunday lunch yesterday and it was really very nice as well as frugal, so thought I'd share the recipe. It sounds like a lot of breadcrumbs to meat but it really does bind and still tasted rather rich.

About 350g minced beef (I had close to 2/3 of a 500g pack left)
    250g fresh breadcrumbs
    1 tsp dried sage
    1 tsp dried mixed herbs
    2 tbsp tomato ketchup
    2 tbsp brown sauce
    1 beaten egg

Mash everything together with a fork. Put in a greaseproof lined 1lb loaf tin and bake for 50 minutes at 200C.
    Love and compassion to all x
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Afternoon all

Its soooooo bloomin hot here -I'm sweltering... anyway its the end of week 1 of june here for us and I have spent a grand total of 2.35
    I was going to pick up a couple of bits today -until hubby told me it's a German bank holiday -so another NSD for me (shame ehh!!!)

So hubby is going to pick up the few bits on his way home from work tomorrow or Wednesday...just need:-
    • iceberg -to subsidise my own grown salad leaves 60c
    • cucumber 60c
    • a red pepper 50c
    • 1 block fresh yeast 9c
    • 3 cartons fresh milk 1.65
    • a pack of butter 80c
    So should be about 4.50 ish.... and that should last us until the weekend when I will need to restock the fizzy water and a couple of other bits

Hubby is playing golf this afternoon -so I made a pasta salad with feta in for lunch to keep him going -it used up lots of odds n sods too, oh and there is a bowl left for my dinner if I want it too
    I have some baguette dough proving at the moment but instead of shaping into baguettes I'm going to shape into cobs (once I have done the rolling, folding, re-rolling bit) -The dough weighs 1400g so it will make 14 nice sized cobs for the freezer for lunches nomnomnom
    I just wish all the other veggies would start cropping -can't wait for the first tomato from outside mmmmmmmm
    Hope everyone is well and enjoying the lovely weather
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • earthmother
    • By earthmother 1st Jun 09, 1:33 PM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 5,460 Thanks
    earthmother
    Good afternoon - first sig update of the month - looks worse than it is.

84.14 is multibuys that I had delivered in the last couple of weeks and didn't add into Mays figure as I was buying with June in mind, if you see what I mean. It's long life stuff - took advantage of the Heinz 3for1 beans and spag, and cheap weetabix, offers at Mr T, about 2 weeks of meals in freezer reductions, smoothies, juices etc for lunchboxes etc - all those things that add up fast.

And I've just got back from my first proper shop of the month - 13.47 in the Co-op - bread, milk, sugar washing up liquid, black bags and Lucozade (tummy bug in the house - we only drink it when we're ill). Only the sugar was at full price, everything else was either on offer or yellow stickered, so I was quite chuffed with that

Now I've got to decide where to shop for the rest of this week - I can use my triple points Sainsburys vouchers, or get Asda to deliver - in terms of money, both work out about the same, but with slightly different lists as there are some things I can only get at one or the other - I could have sworn the idea of these big stores was the 'all under one roof' theory, but it rarely works does it :rolleyes:
    Last edited by earthmother; 01-06-2009 at 1:39 PM.
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to be dealing with have dealt with my debts
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 1st Jun 09, 1:43 PM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 49,542 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Just done my first shop of June and it came to 88.28...bought extra flour as Lidl have reduced flour to .72 so have plenty for month except for some Spelt and wholemeal but Lidl don't stock them so that's another day's work.
    Barbecue this evening....OH bought chops and herby sausages this morning, will do steamed potatoes, salad and hm coleslaw and bake some fruit on barbie to have with ice-cream....great for my diet!
    Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 1st Jun 09, 1:51 PM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    1 block fresh yeast 9c
    Originally posted by MRSMCAWBER
    Those seem very low prices MrsM.....how much is 9c in 's and pennies ? I wish I could get yeast as cheap as that seems (and before anyone tells me, no I cannot get it for free up here :rolleyes.
    I tried to make the baguettes according to your recipe, and they turned out quite nice, although that was nearly a year ago now ()- think I better get my hands a kneading again- stress relief and yummy bread lol!
    I have bookmarked your blog so will have a wee look at that re the veggies.
    x OS
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 1st Jun 09, 2:01 PM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 29,747 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hello...blimey its hot here...lovely bbq weather...we have got chicken portions for tea though as they are defrosting ...might put bbq sauce on them and marinade a bit before roasting them...on the subject of marinating i put portions of chicken some fresh thyme and the juice of a lemon and dropped in freezer...the defrosted and the roast chicken was lovely...lemony and thymey (funnily enough)

the aldi super 6 are fab for june...peaches cherries pineapple kiwi melons plums...i got a pack of all of them (2 of the cherries).. 49p each...bargain i thought....i noticed as well that they still had butternut squash from mays offer at 49p ...i thought that was good that they hadnt stuck a new label over the cheap one

i was in tesco yesterday at 2.45 and stumbled upon the last reductions...i got pepperoni pizza for 34p...x2 chicken kiev 30p...posh looking puy lentil and tomato soup 24p...sliced turkey 15p...all in the freezer there was loads of stuff and not many people interested....i didnt get loads just a couple of each so other people got a great bargain as well

take care
    tess
    onwards and upwards
    • Yorkielass
    • By Yorkielass 1st Jun 09, 2:38 PM
    • 2,222 Posts
    • 9,044 Thanks
    Yorkielass
    I haven't been part of the grocery challenge for ages but spurred on by Hypno's new effort I'm going to give it a go as anything to increase the very little surplus we have at the end of the month would be most useful.

As it's the first one for ages
    I'm going for 200 please this month.

There's OH and myself and this includes all food, (including lunches for work),
    non alcoholic drinks and cleaning products. I know it's a lot compared to most of you but getting back into the swing of it and looking forward to seeing how I get on!
    Last edited by Yorkielass; 01-06-2009 at 3:48 PM.
    The great declutter 2015 "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
    Became Mortgage Free Wannabe 28/08/13
    Mortgage at start (Aug 2012) 165099 - MFD Aug 2042
    Mortgage now (November 2015) 132020.04 - MFD March 2036 - Aiming for 2025
    • taka
    • By taka 1st Jun 09, 3:46 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 17,346 Thanks
    taka
    Boy is it hot today... I just gave in an had an ice cream so my not spending loads this month is off to a bad start . It was good though... a mint magnum

... 51.11 left for June
    2019 MFW #51 364.10/500
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
    • clayremonkey
    • By clayremonkey 1st Jun 09, 4:40 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    clayremonkey
    Whew been out in the garden all day, planting what I hope are some money saving veggies! Spent quite a bit today on treats etc as am off work this week! Last month was a bad month to start the challenge as I was so under due to my freebie vouchers but this month will be a bit harder. Fingers crossed I can do it!
    May Grocery Challenge 121.93/200
    June Grocery Challenge 48.69/200
    • Pauper1
    • By Pauper1 1st Jun 09, 5:01 PM
    • 368 Posts
    • 2,735 Thanks
    Pauper1
    Hi everyone, I'm adding another challenge on my very first day!! Please can I be down for 200 for June, for 2 adults & 2 kittens. I'd love to be able to get it down to the sort of levels some of you are doing!
    Thanks,
    Laura
    • Cheery Daff
    • By Cheery Daff 1st Jun 09, 5:24 PM
    • 8,697 Posts
    • 44,497 Thanks
    Cheery Daff
    Woo hoo! First lot of food shopping in June and I've been to the market and spent 8.41 on fruit and veg, and 4 on nuts and seeds (they should last us the month - the fruit will probably last about 5 minutes!)

Have also made a shiny new spreadsheet to record what I've bought and totals of each day and weekly spend, so I can see how quickly it goes down, and exactly how many pints of milk we get through in a week...

Thank you for having the lovely grocery challenge, it really does focus the mind!

now for some meal planning...
    Mortgage overpayments 1200 in 2018, 189.55 in 2019
  • Rachel021967
    Just been to Lidls and spent 14.48 on:
    2 beers, coleslaw, potato salad, grapes, multivitamin juice,
    spring onions, beef burgers, cucumber, 4 tins of diet Pepsi, peppers and lettuce. So that leaves 465.52
  • hermoine
    Been to Morrissons today and spent 84.49 and then the corner shop coz I forgot marg for making pud today and spent 1.

I think I got enough meat for the month so hopeful this is a good start.

H

• LydiaJ
    • By LydiaJ 1st Jun 09, 6:36 PM
    • 8,035 Posts
    • 73,192 Thanks
    LydiaJ
    So June is off to a great start.
    Shiny new spending diary spreadsheet up to date - a few direct debits for TV licence etc and 2 for lunch at work - but that doesn't count as groceries by my rules for June, so signature can still say 0/220!
    First online shop at Mr T will be Wednesday.
    Do you know anyone who's bereaved? Point them to www.AtaLoss.org which does for bereavement support what MSE does for financial services, providing links to support organisations relevant to the circumstances of the loss & the local area. (Link permitted by forum team)
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Tyre performance in the wet deteriorates rapidly below about 3mm tread - change yours when they get dangerous, not just when they are nearly illegal (1.6mm).
    Oh, and wear your seatbelt. My kids are only alive because they were wearing theirs when somebody else was driving in wet weather with worn tyres.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,873Posts Today

8,058Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin