Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Apr 09, 10:22 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    May 2009 Grocery Challenge
    • 25th Apr 09, 10:22 PM
    May 2009 Grocery Challenge 25th Apr 09 at 10:22 PM
    Welcome to the May 2009 Grocery Challenge.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your April budget, then keep on posting in the April 2009 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Good luck everyone!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-04-2009 at 8:34 AM.
Page 26
  • Cornishpixie
    Ok, so damage limitation. Hubby came back from Mr A with a lot of shopping. So worked out with that plus what's in the freezer we have a weeks menu. So put online shop back by a week. Will be delivered on 26th now. Couldn't really spin it out till end of month. Haven't found the Mr A receipt yet! About 50 worth or could be more. So will be over this month, declare at the end, but will have enough when shopping delivered to take us through to middle of june. Well that's the plan
    • OrkneyStar
    • By OrkneyStar 18th May 09, 9:32 AM
    • 6,672 Posts
    • 42,974 Thanks
    OrkneyStar
    Morning all.
    Decided I am not going to buy any more food until Friday, even though I have money. I might get some diesel though, and spend approx 10 on DS (toddlers, bits n bobs).
    I have my meal plan, it is not that exciting but will feed us fine .
    Was wondering, does anyone have any exciting recipes to use up Mattesons smoked sausage ?
    OK, hope all are well and thanks for any suggestions.
    x
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 18th May 09, 10:55 AM
    • 4,324 Posts
    • 29,765 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi.......well done on the race for life cpixie....os using up the sausage u could make a fried rice and stir them in at the end....put in a hm quiche....make a pasta bake...eat on a sarnie...sound nice i think i might get some

we have savoury mince cooking in the sc...i used some of the courgettes i got from aldi (49p) in it and it smells nice.....we are having it today with chips and then im going to make the leftovers in to a shephers pie or should that be cottage pie as it is beef mince ? we are having bananas and custard for pudding....a few nanas need using up

no sign of the sun but im sure the rain is helping myy 2 tomato plants and all the herbs so every cloud and all that
    have a great day
    tess
    onwards and upwards
    • fletch3163
    • By fletch3163 18th May 09, 11:16 AM
    • 884 Posts
    • 2,543 Thanks
    fletch3163
    Hello everyone, posting from work (don't tell the boss )

Went to Asda AGAIN yesterday as I had forgotten all the gubbins for lunches this week. Spent 15.02. Couldn't believe it. That's 90 spend this weekend alone Still, I seem to be on target. One more shop before I can declare (fingers crossed I make it)

For dinner yesterday we had HM carrot & coriander soup with freshly baked rolls (under a quid from Aldi, out of a tin), stewed sausage, potatoes and carrots in one pot, and rice pudding with Carnation Milk. Made me feel quite the homemaker. Usually I'm scrambling like a daftie to feed us on a Sunday.

Made cottage pie and a bolognaise yesterday so that's 2 more dinners under my belt.
    Grocery Challenge M: 450/425.08 A: 400/.May -400/361 June 380/230 (pages 18 & 27 explain)
    • Shortie
    • By Shortie 18th May 09, 12:42 PM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 12,059 Thanks
    Shortie
    First day of my challenge today (off to update sig in a minute) and I'll be going shopping on my way home from work. I'll post an update tonight

I've not micro-planned my month this month and am going to plan a week at a time, which will help as we have lots in the freezer to use up already.. fingers crossed!
    Apologies if there are random typos - I am usually replying via my phone
    • Shortie
    • By Shortie 18th May 09, 12:45 PM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 12,059 Thanks
    Shortie
    Whoops, I mean to add that I decided last night to add an extra 20 to the budget each month too as it now also feeds myself and Mr Shortie for lunches each day when it never used to so budget is actually 220 for the month
    • clayremonkey
    • By clayremonkey 18th May 09, 4:14 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    clayremonkey
    Hi all,

Hope you had a lovely weekend. I've been away for weekend so money spent there doesnt count thankfully! I've been to shops twice and have spend 41.76 (really spent 141.76 but had 100 of vouchers to spend for recommending a friend!)

I have now spent 77.44 out of 200 - should only need fresh things for next few weeks although need to nip out and get a few bits and bobs.

Fingers crossed I can make it to 6th June!!

C
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 18th May 09, 4:55 PM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    well im over not by much again and i wouldnt if i hadnt gone to go stock up on baby wipes while they were on offer at morrisons well i will need them ... but my month start on saturday my birthday and i dont expect to spend hardly anything as im due soon and OH panics everytime i leave the house without him .. bless so a big online shop and then OH to the shop if we need anything hes really good he only gets what i ask and if its not there he wont replace he just doesnt get ... Mrs M i know its early for most people but could you be ever so lovely and put me down for 200 again ... thank you x
    Still searching .....
    Cooked with my house mate yesterday. She claimed to be a former professional chef, but the dinner was a completely waste of FOOD.

We went to Mr.S to buy food. I didn't find the stewing beef I wanted. She came up with the idea of buying a brisket instead. I did not know about different parts of beef, so I followed her advice. The beef turned out to be a piece of tough junk . Even worse, she took 1/2 kg of MY rice, cooked with her 'universal magic recipe' and turned it into a texture-less paste . Never believe any steamed rice recipe for a minute (different rice need different amount of water)!!! Now I don't know what to do with the s***load of poorly cooked leftover rice enough for a week :confused:.

Sorry for the rant
    • Frugaldom
    • By Frugaldom 18th May 09, 7:50 PM
    • 6,147 Posts
    • 54,322 Thanks
    Frugaldom
    Was wondering, does anyone have any exciting recipes to use up Mattesons smoked sausage ?
    OK, hope all are well and thanks for any suggestions.
    x
    Originally posted by OrkneyStar
    On the odd occasion I've had any left over it gets sliced on top of a pizza, diced and mixed in with the cheese sauce for macaroni or else diced/sliced and mixed into pasta salad. But it's very seldom we have them and even less often there's enough left for anything. They also freeze alright, as my last ones were bought when on BOGOF
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise!
  • Julimk
    Just a tiny spend today on milk & fruit. Am really hoping that is it for this month. There is, however, still a little bit left if I do need some more milk.

Made up a batch of onion soup & a batch of mulligatawny soup today & popped them in the freezer. With what was already in there that should do me for lunches when I am working from home for the next month.

Still working on the shopping list for the main shop for June & it has now gone over 70! I just keep thinking of things that I will need & this is just the list of basics to stock up.:rolleyes:
    • grandmasam
    • By grandmasam 18th May 09, 8:47 PM
    • 532 Posts
    • 5,589 Thanks
    grandmasam
    hi everyone!,havn't posted for last two wks as got a bit down,feeling better now, thank goodness.
    been living out of the freezer and pantry mainly,so only bought 20p muller yogs and rice [latter freezes well!!] and fruit and veg.Been picking broad bean tops as well and the first pick of actual beans yesterday lovely with hm parsley sauce.

made more bread today and some french onion rolls to have with veggie soup later in the wk.rolls now frozen, good thing ive eaten enough to make the space
    off to update sig, update later.
    caz
    Saving for another hound
    from Sue-UU
    SPC no 031 SPC 9 1211, SPC 8 1027 SPC 7 937.24, SPC 6 973.4 SPC 5 1949, SPC 4 904.67 SPC 4 980.27
    • mooomin
    • By mooomin 18th May 09, 8:59 PM
    • 13,655 Posts
    • 134,514 Thanks
    mooomin
    Evening all!

Another small spend for me, had to buy bread, eggs and milk.

Had slow-cookered gammon for dinner, and have made pea and ham soup with some of the leftovers. There is still a sizeable amount of gammon left for sandwiches tomorrow for lunch (To go with the soup)

If I need to buy anything else this week, it should only be of the bread/milk variety before payday comes on Friday.
    Comping again

Wins this year: - two night trip to Belgium, 100 Gett taxi credit, tickets to Newcastle game, FIFA 2016 for PS4, stitch markers, Cumberstitching book
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Evening all

No problem searching me -I will just start my mad scribbling earlier and this time warn my hubby not to move said piece of paper :rolleyes:

Brisket is stunning if cooked properly -If you ever try it again -
    • wrap it tightly in foil and stick it in a roasting tin
    • shove in the oven on high for about 30-45 mins
    • once it has started to colour -drop the temp to about gas 3 and cook long and slow -
    • just open it carefully every so often and drain the juices into a jug -makes lovely dripping
    • about 4+ hours shoul do it ...depending on size
    • I always do it the day before and let it go cold as it should be so tender when hot it collapses if you try and carve it. cut it cold and you can get it nice n thin and to re-heat I put in foil parcels with a drop of the juices nomnomnom
    ooohhhh and the cold rice would be good for special fried rice -great for using odds n sod up out of the fridge/freezer
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • Shortie
    • By Shortie 18th May 09, 10:34 PM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 12,059 Thanks
    Shortie
    Hiya

So tonight's shopping came to 75.59. That doesn't feel too bad - I've got some bits in there that will last the whole month like cat food, cat litter and nappies, and some stuff that will last a while like a big bag of pasta, 3 tins of tuns, quite a bit of frozen stuff..

I still need to get the month's worth of dog food which I can get with the next round of bread and milk (which will also take me over 10 so I get to park for free in the store car park)

Yay, I'm feeling a tad more in control already
    Last edited by Shortie; 18-05-2009 at 11:15 PM.
  • Taye
    *sigh* spent 22.91 in B&M yesterday, i only went in for dog food, bringing my total upto 216.96. I did get loads of cat food pouches they had felix going cheap which my cats love so i bought 4 packets which accouts for 10 of it and it's enough for about 1 months as i suppliment it with dry biscuits. 2 on the dog food which will last about a week, joint of ham and some other bits i really didn't need .. *sigh*

Oh well still on target and my cuboards are HEAVING at the seems, i am running short of veg
    though, im ok for salad stuff it's the stuff that go's with meals etc so i'll need to pop the market, and to asda and pick some up should still manage to stick to budget though as there's only 6 days left of my month.

I really need to clear some cuboard space i keep buying things because they are on offer haha and i simply don't have room anymore.
    This months aim :- Stick to food Budget / find 100 for my car insurance
    May GC :- 250/234.55
    June GC :- 150/127.37
  • Cornishpixie
    Just a tiny spend today on milk & fruit. Am really hoping that is it for this month. There is, however, still a little bit left if I do need some more milk.

Made up a batch of onion soup & a batch of mulligatawny soup today & popped them in the freezer. With what was already in there that should do me for lunches when I am working from home for the next month.

Still working on the shopping list for the main shop for June & it has now gone over 70! I just keep thinking of things that I will need & this is just the list of basics to stock up.:rolleyes:
    Originally posted by Julimk

Hi, Would it help if you did 2 shops per month rather than 1 big one? I started off with 1 big one, but I found I was ordering stuff that I didn't really need like yet more pasta, tins when I had enough in the cupboard. Then again when needs must I can be a bit ruthless with the basics, as long as I have enough for meals and T-rolls, I have been known to wing it a bit with the other bits. Afterall I keep telling myself variety is the spice of life.
    • searching_me
    • By searching_me 19th May 09, 8:50 AM
    • 18,406 Posts
    • 63,340 Thanks
    searching_me
    cheers Mrs M im refusing to spend another penny on food til friday (going out for a birthday meal ) x
    Still searching .....
    • poohbear59
    • By poohbear59 19th May 09, 11:01 AM
    • 4,820 Posts
    • 55,754 Thanks
    poohbear59
    I have had another NSD and was given loads of food yesterday. My aunt brought me peppers, grapes, tomatoes, nectarines, strawberries, a huge piece of gammon and a chunk on a blue veined cheese. She also brought crisps, biscuits, baked beans and rice pudding!

My neighbour brought me 5lb of roast pork which I have bagged up and frozen. They had a hog roast and had lots left over. I was also given a huge trout too at the weekend.

My menu planning is going to change as I had planned on sausage casserole for tonight and now need to use lots of peppers quickly.

So a NSD and all the free food is quite a result!

I should manage to be well within budget now. DS hasn't worked since mid Feb and is on a small pension and is self mployed so no benefits for him so this will really help.
    Grocery challenge 75/250 business mortgage 13798))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan 7116=Total of 20914, 69% paid off was 68105 Weight to lose 42lbs 0 to go!! PPI claimed and received 11117 Save 12k in 2017no 116. 0/5000
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
    • cw18
    • By cw18 19th May 09, 11:08 AM
    • 8,053 Posts
    • 86,005 Thanks
    cw18
    and now need to use lots of peppers quickly
    Originally posted by poohbear59
    I buy the value bags (normally when in Whoopsie as well ), then chop or slice them before freezing. My DS wouldn't thank me for using them at all, so can only sneak in small quantities at a time to casseroles or bolognese etc.
    Cheryl
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,233Posts Today

8,688Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin