Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    • 17,087Posts
    • 132,754Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Jul 08, 1:12 PM
    August 2008 Grocery Challenge 27th Jul 08 at 1:12 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eighth Grocery Challenge of 2008.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your July budget, then keep on posting in the July Grocery Challenge.

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galtizz
    I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Penny x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
Page 4
    • Cleosmum
    • By Cleosmum 27th Jul 08, 10:02 PM
    • 2,659 Posts
    • 9,288 Thanks
    Cleosmum
    Ok, the kids are home, I have no idea how much more I will spend this summer hols, as in the past I have just bought the groceries and not worried about it In july I came in under budget at £215.38, so I am going to challenge myself to do August to the tune of £210 and that has to include the numerous days out picnics that I have promised the children

Edit to add that my month is 1st - 31st
    Jan 2016 Grocery Challenge: 184.58/400 (16/01)
    • DdraigGoch
    • By DdraigGoch 27th Jul 08, 10:23 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 3,996 Thanks
    DdraigGoch
    Please may I join in - I'm aiming for 180 for the month, that's for 3 adults, 1 x 16yo and 1 dog. Keep your fingers crossed for me - last month was over 450 I think it's about time I stopped the rest of the family shopping ......

Many thanks for all the links - this will be a tremendous help, if only I can stick with it ...
    If you see me on here - shout at me to get off and go and get something useful done!!
    • Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 27th Jul 08, 10:43 PM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Thank you to Mrs M & Nikki for your wonderful advice re tonics and prescriptions - I know I need it but it's getting my a**e up and getting it - will ring tomorrow and book appt, then get one of those prepayment certs...

Thanks for the recipe on HM Coleslaw too, sounds yummy with the red onion, guess what I'm getting tomorrow!

I have made my meal plan for next week and will go shopping with list tomorrow - the days might get changed but at least we'll have the food in:

Monday - Chilli Con Carni & rice for hubby & DS, Cheese & spinach omlette for me
    Tuesday - Chilli & HM Chips for hubby & DS, Pie & HM chips for me (can't tell I don't like chilli can you:confused: )
    Wednesday - HM Meatballs, Tagliatelle & Tomato Sauce
    Thursday - Liver, Bacon, Onions & Mash for hubby, Salmon & Tomato pasta bake for me & DS (hubby doesn't like salmon & we don't like liver - see, it all works out in the end...)
    Friday - Gammon, eggs & HM chips or Salad (depends on the weather)
    Saturday - Spaghetti Bolognese & HM garlic bread
    Sunday - Roast Pork dinner (including roast spuds, roast parsnips & swede & carrot mash - numnumnum, my favorite!)

I need to do this every week to keep us on track, as have been slipping lately, so feel free to PM me to nag if I need it, I'll do the same to you if you want...
    LBM April 2013 - 29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC 783.75
    Barclaycard CC 1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC 1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD 1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - 95.00 budget / spend -
  • gillian576
    I'd like to take part. First month for us and I'm setting the budget at 400 for the month of August. (28th July - 27th August). 2 adults and 4 children.
    • zoe260373
    • By zoe260373 28th Jul 08, 12:46 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    zoe260373
    hello August thread,(how fast is this year gowing?)anyway,my july total is 403.88 not great but as it was my 1st attempt and still much less than usual im quite happy.angelnikki,can you put me down for 350 againfor August please and i promose to try harder,will definately get around to doing meal plans as still havent yet thanks all for starting a new thread and bringing all handy info over too,great for a technophobe like me!well done all who did well and keep your chin up all that didnt(like me)
    catch up on julys thread now,bye all.xxx
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/300spends already this month-animal food-28,mr T shop-119.plus local shop spends total spent 257,
    • zoe260373
    • By zoe260373 28th Jul 08, 1:31 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 3,171 Thanks
    zoe260373
    Traditional allioli
    hi all thought id post my recipe(from a friend)for traditional catalan style allioli,now that ive actualy made it for myself,its lovely,but verrry moreish

5 cloves garlic crushed/i used garlic paste:rolleyes:
    good pinch of salt
    1 large egg
    1 cup of light olive oil/or mix of extra virgin olive oil and veg oil

in a processor mix garlic,salt and egg for about 30 seconds,then slowly add the oil,it will begin to thicken and resemble mayonnaise,put in the fridge for at least an hour before use and it will keep for about a week,this makes about 1&1/2 cups.(lovely with sticks of cucumber)

enjoy,nomnomnom.xxx
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/300spends already this month-animal food-28,mr T shop-119.plus local shop spends total spent 257,
    • mhe
    • By mhe 28th Jul 08, 1:39 AM
    • 418 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    mhe
    ok - have checked freezer and cupboards and made list ready to hit asda tomorrow bright and early. Still got quite a bit of stuff in and off on hols mid aug so fingers crossed should be ok. Sadly will have to take children with me tomorrow as its school hols - that will mean a few extra bits in trolly that arent on the list i guess!!:rolleyes:
    "With no money you start to discover your own inner resource" GK Chesterton
    2 adults, 3 children
  • frugalswan
    And so it begins for me today. I've my meal plans already sorted - it'll just be a question of giving up cola, I think, to get the costs down. Which is going to be hard. Good luck everyone!
    Continually trying the Grocery Challenge. Gotta keep trying!
  • mandy_moo_1
    mornin all on this wet and miserable day

have got an NSD day planned today, and hopefully won't need to spend too much this week as my freezers are well stocked and i've got enough dog food for the next couple of weeks ....... should be just bits and bobs i need , or at least that's what i'm hoping!!

off to my gran's in a couple of hours to do her housework, then i think i might do some baking when i get back...choc chip muffins for DS15 as he's been begging me to make these for days now

made iced buns yesterday, and we only ate a few of them, so the rest have gone in the freezer...not sure how long they'll last in there tho

right, best get in the shower...........hope everyone has a good day, and you don't get too wet! x

• Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 28th Jul 08, 5:39 AM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Morning all,
    Right, have checked the freezer, fridge and cupboards to update my lists, have done my meal plan and am now double checking shopping list - busy morning so far.

I've also ordered my PPC online (thank you to Kaat_Lady & Nikki) - 27.85 and will at least be able to reclaim todays and tomorrows scripts (Friday's 7.10 is too late, why didn't I listen to Kaat_Lady earlier! )

I am buzzing this morning - god knows why as I didn't go to bed till 1am and I was up at 5am - think coz I slept like a log for the first time in ages last night, so 4 hours solid sleep has been better than long layins not sleeping IYKWIM...:confused:

I'm just about to jump in shower then on with remaining stuff - lets see how long this lasts...:confused: will update later when back from Icelands on any bargains... Have a good day, seems cooler here at the moment, thank god!
  • jackiegibbo
    Good morning from sunny bournemouth its going to be a scorcher down here but as im from glasgow its too hot for me:rolleyes:
    Anyway got to take my cat and dog to the vet this morning for checkup and booster injections and this afternoon im off to see a friend and her children so im managing to avoid the shops today.
    So a nsd for me today.........Ive come to the conclusion that if i avoid asdas when im running out of stuff and just make do until i do my weekly shop i get on a lot better with my challenge.

Good luck everyone
  • Herbaholic
    Morning all, and welcome to all the new people to the Grocery Challenge Denise you've been a busy bee, glad you got some sleep hon, wish I had, my eyes hurt, my head hurts, part of my lack of sleep is 'the curse' is imminent and my body temp rises lots just before, add the heat the past two nights and sore b00b's so can't get comfortable and it all adds up to lack of sleep big time. And although its 5 days away we have the DS :rolleyes: this weekend and I'm dreading it, can you believe I'm actually feeling miserable now and it isn't Friday yet. Ahhhh well, soon be over I guess, this weekend he'll get what he's given and will eat it without grumping or he'll get an empty plate at the next meal Thanks to everyone for the support last month, it meant a lot. I was going to cave in and buy shop bought stuff he likes this month, but have decided to stick to my guns and make the homemade stuff as myself and DH prefer it

Look forward to your Iceland findings Denise, not been there since they stopped doing online shopping, so not sure what I'm missing, if they have some deals that we'll use I'll get DH to take a detour and we'll check them out again. I still haven't done my August meal plan you just reminded me , will try and get it done today, got lots of whoopsied meat from MrA last week, so need to factor all that in. Managed to get the pots washed from last night, polish the frontroon and ewbank it (haven't had the hoover out in 3 weeks now ), also get a beef curry into the slowcooker for tonights tea, but am feeling tired so may try to sleep more in a little while, its gone cooler here, feels like it will rain actually. Got some baking to do later, coconut muffins and a sultana cake and may have a go at Mrs M's nann bread recipe to go with the curry.

Starting the x amount per day plan that DH suggested last month for August see how we go on, already spent £38ish yesterday on a shop to get in the months flour etc. If I stick to a daily amount then I can spend no more than £8.70 per day, less if I want to have some left over for treats at the end of the month, so I figure shopping trips should happen every 2-3 days, this is where the meal plan kicks in!!! Looking forward to all the new recipes to try from everyone this month, good luck to all my fellow GC'ers, here's to everyone coming in on or under budget this month
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ; Jun 21/14 ; May : 6/6
    GC 2010: Jul 134.03/150.00 ; Jun 278.86/275.00 ; May 276.13/280.00
    • procrastinator
    • By procrastinator 28th Jul 08, 6:56 AM
    • 566 Posts
    • 7,018 Thanks
    procrastinator
    Week 1 August
    Good Morning.
    Sun is shining bright and one load already on the line.
    My budget for August will be 250.00 as it is a 5 week month for me.
    Not sure how it will work out as kids away for a week but cost more when they're home. Have already started spending for this week 52.11 so far. Will need more fruit and veg, bread and milk. Haven't done a meal plan for a while and it's showing. OH and I like salads and teens don't but I refuse to make them different meals, I'm not running a cafe. DD wants pasta and DS wants potatoes, so someone is disappointed every mealtime.
    WL 11 st 5lb as at 050109. 160209 11st 2lb
    11st 5lb as at 20.04.09 11st 7lbs 040509 11st6 010609 I wish 2016 175 lbs.
    Family of 3 at home - , DS 22, self and OH
    • patentgirl
    • By patentgirl 28th Jul 08, 7:01 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 12,313 Thanks
    patentgirl
    Morning everyone

Havent managed to get on here all weekend and look what I have missed the new August challenge!
    Angelnikki, could you please put us down for 300 for this month.
    I know I went over last month but will try and keep to budget if I fail again in August will have to think about increasing toatal this is for 3 adults, DD15 her bf who must eat 4 out of the 7 days with us plus eldest DD who lives with OH plus they have at least one meal with us a week!

good luck everyone and to all newbies
    off to read thread now
    February grocery challenge 200
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Morning all

Its an absolute scorcher here allready ..so i will be going outside as little as possible until it decides to cool down a bit -still its good for the tomatoes I guess..the first few are starting to ripen

Today is my 3rd NSD in a row -well i am only on day 3 of August ...

It was that hot last night we had the electric fan on again :rolleyes: ....still couldn't settle -I knew something was bugging me and at 2am this morning it came to me "toilet rolls" I had checked everything else -trying to make sure i could get to Friday without shopping ...but i hadn't made sure i had enough loo rolls -jumped out of bed and checked -and we have plenty so THEN i managed to get to sleep - i really think i nead therapy

Hubby has taken chicken pasta salad for lunch (made extra yesterday) and a piece of banana and coconut cake from the freezer, And i will be having the rest of the pasta salad for lunch... so i have a lazy day ...... we have enough bread made to last, and dinner is jackets with cottage cheese and salad..so not much prep required there so i think a lazy day of x stitching is called for
    Have a great day everyone and hugs to those in need
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • smetf
    Cherries
    Hi all
    A quickie from me before breakfast- have a large bowl of cherries that are too sour to eat- any ideas? (kids aren't keen on crumble so other suggestions would be good pretty please):confused:

Mrs M planning on making your hm tortillas for lunch- sure you have mentioned this before but can you freeze them? or is it best to freeze the dough? We like them so much I might as well do double quantities

First day in pants for dd 2 so wish me luck, planning to do some gardening so at least we'll be outside :rolleyes:

Catch up more later
    Smetf

• Flylady_Flower
    • By Flylady_Flower 28th Jul 08, 7:22 AM
    • 2,853 Posts
    • 62,435 Thanks
    Flylady_Flower
    Hi all
    A quickie from me before breakfast- have a large bowl of cherries that are too sour to eat- any ideas? (kids aren't keen on crumble so other suggestions would be good pretty please):confused:
    Smetf
    Originally posted by smetf
    What about a cherry pie? you could have it with custard or icecream is probably better at the moment.... mmmm, mouth is watering just thinking about it.....

EDIT: Ooooh, PS, good luck with DD2 today
    • taplady
    • By taplady 28th Jul 08, 7:26 AM
    • 7,156 Posts
    • 73,597 Thanks
    taplady
    morning all!

angelnikki please put me down for 285 again this month. I', still working on Julys budget ATM which ends on 31st July but I'm not sure I will make it under target!. good luck everyone
    Every penny saved is a penny saved
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Hi Smetf

I have frozen the tortillas and they work quite well, you just have to be carefull if you reheat them -so they don't dry out. I prefer to keep a bag full of the balls of dough in the freezer and take out however many i need and cook as i need them -but i only have to do them for 2 of us . If you freeze the dough balls, you will find they need more flour when rolling out as they are stickier -but they also seem to roll out bigger -so i am happy with 1 instead of 2 -even though there is still the same amount of dough :confused:
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • mama67
    • By mama67 28th Jul 08, 7:47 AM
    • 1,318 Posts
    • 16,230 Thanks
    mama67
    Good Morning from damp foggy Grimsby
    The fog rolled in last night just as the boys and 3 of their friends were preparing for a campout in our back garden; undeterred they still went ahead.

I had made a batch of Millies Cookies for them to munch on along with the other bits their friends had brought.

I now have a batch of Iced fingers proving as I type set the BM on timer so dough was ready when I got up.

2 of the boys are up and eating breakfast, watching Sccoby Doo.

I tried the No Knead Bread yesterday using all white flour no-one really liked it so will go back to usual one on the dough setting in the BM, baking in the oven.
    Dinner tonight will be pork steaks with mash and veggies; I put very thin slices of apple actually onto the pork steaks before putting into oven so they get instant apple sauce.
    2 adults, 2 boys ( sportsmad-big eaters) (21 & 18)
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

648Posts Today

6,151Users online

Martin's Twitter