in Old Style MoneySaving
2.7K replies 214.6K views

Replies

• Flylady_FlowerFlylady_Flower Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Guy's,

Have been a very naughty girl today as really not feeling well (keep getting out of breath and am sooooo tired), so didn't manage to get shopping today and as nothing in the cupboards, we had to have a KFC (chippies not open or we would have had that instead as its cheaper). :o
    Annoyed with myself, but there really was nothing in - need potatoes, pasta, rice, chicken, everything... So another £8.58 to add to GC.

Am taking Iron tablets to help with energy levels but just had enough of feeling so worn out all the time - may take a trip to docs tomorrow to see if they can help. Kaat_Lady Thanks for the up on the prescription stuff, but as I only get through 1 or 2 at most a month it doesn't work out cheaper for me - it's just if I'm not well and have to get lots all at once it's a pain. Anyway, back on track...

I'm going to go to Icelands tomorrow to see what specials they have at the moment - will let you know if there are any when I get back! I've done my shopping list and am about to check it out on mysupermarket first to get the best prices so I'm prepared when I go in - only bargains for me from now on!

PS: Does anyone know how to make coleslaw? :confused: I know it's a silly question as I'm sure you all do, but I only know it's cabbage and carrots - but what's the rest? :doh:
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • MRSMCAWBERMRSMCAWBER Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Hi denise

I do coleslaw with shredded cabbage and onions and grated carrot then add greek yogurt and a dollop of mayo, plenty of seasoning and a squeeze of lemon juice when i have 1 in..
    Its lovely made with red cabbage/onion too

If you are run down and the Dr can't do anything -i would give Mettatone (sp?)a go its a tonic full of vitamins, minerals and trace elements - my mum swears by it for picking you up ..all the family use it when need be ..except me cos i don't get run down -think its the amount of fruit n veg i shove down my throat... ask at boots -they always have it in :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • ChuzzleChuzzle Forumite
    625 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Please can I join in again? I fell off the wagon in June and grazed my knees very badly, but in my defence MIL had just been diagnosed with cancer and is going through her chemo/radiotherapy. And my grandpa (79 years young) had a slight heart attack.

But this month I will do much better. My month goes from 1st to 31st August I've got DS1 15th birthday :eek: where has my baby gone?? A trip paintballing to cater for and its school holidays, but I'm still determind to stick with a budget of £200 for the month. This is for 2 adults, 1 teenager, 1 child and 1 cat. Plus nurmerous friends of kids that will no doubt invade my house while I'm at work and empty my cupboards like a team of locusts!!:rotfl::rotfl:
    Banana Lovers
    Buy your bananas in bunches of 5 on Sunday. Then arrange them in order of ripeness and write a day of the week on each banana in felt pen, Monday on the ripest, Friday on the greenest to save time making those decisions on a hectic weekday morning
  • fertyskidsfertyskids Forumite
    138 Posts
    Hi everyone,

thanks ANGELNIKKI for starting this months thread. also the recipe's they will be so useful.

today is the last day of july challenge, i came in under budget and the freezers and cuboards are full. but i just keep on going shopping, today i made a trip up the road to the cop op looking for whoopsies, i didnt need anything. i brought leeks, apples and courgettes. i know they will freeze but im struggling for freezer space. i feel like im "compelled to shop". what is a girl to do.

i will need some NS's this month as im feeding 7-9 all month insteasd of 5. for all meals! i know i can do it if i can just stay away from the shops. im already thinking about when they open tommorrow.

i need to cook/bake instead to keep me busy.

i need to make a meal for 9 people for tommorrow. 2 are veggie. i have loads of veg and some chicken any ideas other than chicken casserole (im too scared to make pies yet)

anyway im sorry that ive rambled on a bit. i could be PMT or maybe its the 5 15yr olds, the 3yr old or the 1yr old in the house. i think its the teenagers!!!doing my head in i dont know....

take care everyone. hope you all get some sleep in this heat.

karen
  • Hi
    Not finished July yet but please put me down for £100 in August.
    many thanks.
    Challenge 2 adults food and household.
    2009 £1214.37
    Target for 2010 £1250
  • I'm still workingon July which ends on the 31st. I am going to budget £130 for August - thanks angelnicki!
  • betterlifebetterlife Forumite
    896 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    hello everyone, this will be my 1st months grocery challenge, please be gentle, im normally very good at home cooking etc but i had a baby on tuesday so have my hands full at the mo, he sleeps mostly but as he`s going to be my last i cant stop cuddling him! anyway the budget is for me, oh, 3 children who are 7, 4 and 2, baby cody 5 days old, 2 cats and 2 kittens. it will include all nappies and cleaning/toiletries. please put me down for £300.00 for the mth, not sure if this is realistic or not as i dont normally count but will spent as little as poss, am a bit restricted to where i shop at the mo as i dont drive and we have`nt got a people carrier yet. so its either sent oh (whhich will blow the budget) or bus so might do that. thankyou.x
    One day I will live in a cabin in the woods
  • OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    betterlife wrote: »
    hello everyone, this will be my 1st months grocery challenge, please be gentle, im normally very good at home cooking etc but i had a baby on tuesday so have my hands full at the mo, he sleeps mostly but as he`s going to be my last i cant stop cuddling him! anyway the budget is for me, oh, 3 children who are 7, 4 and 2, baby cody 5 days old, 2 cats and 2 kittens. it will include all nappies and cleaning/toiletries. please put me down for £300.00 for the mth, not sure if this is realistic or not as i dont normally count but will spent as little as poss, am a bit restricted to where i shop at the mo as i dont drive and we have`nt got a people carrier yet. so its either sent oh (whhich will blow the budget) or bus so might do that. thankyou.x
    Congratulations- look after yourself and get plenty of rest (hmmmm with all those other children how will you manage that lol ?) My DS is 13 months now and I love cuddles although he wriggles like mad! Have you joined Boots/Tesco etc Parenting Club for free vouchers and extra points ?
    :wave:
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • ifonlyitwaseasierifonlyitwaseasier Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    betterlife wrote: »
    but i had a baby on tuesday so have my hands full at the mo, he sleeps mostly but as he`s going to be my last i cant stop cuddling him! x

:T :T :T

Congratulations!!
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• Hi Everyone!!
    Mrs M/Angelnikki-Could you please put me down for
    £250 to last until 31st August
    (5 week month but I'll be away quite alot).
    Thanks
    SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

54 ways to ‘DIY it’

According to the MSE Forum

MSE Team Blog

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News

Lidl '£10 off £40 spend' voucher

Via Metro or Daily Mail. Excludes NI

MSE Deals