PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

soured cream ideas please

Hi,

bought this my mistake-what on earth can I do with it? Any ideas gratefully received

mocolo

Comments

• rlm_3
    rlm_3 Posts: 157 Forumite
    Mmmm, soured cream. We usually have it with mexican - so as a topping for fajitas filled with spicy chicken, peppers and onions. I also just love eating it as a dip with nachos.

Must admit, I'm not sure how else to use it so I'd also be interested in any further ideas.
  • floss2
    floss2 Posts: 8,030 Forumite
    good for swirling onto top of a bowl of soup - makes it look restaurant posh!
  • I use it in baked cheesecakes - it makes the sickly creaminess a bit more bearable (thereby enabling you to have three slices instead of just two... :))

It's nice as a topping for jacket spuds too with snipped chives, or even just used as a swirl in creamy soups. Delia also has a recipe for soured cream soda bread. http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/soured-cream-soda-bread,1415,RC.html

Oh, and my deepest darkest secret? Eat it straight from the tub...

Lil
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    Make a cake?
    • 190 g self raising flour
    • 300 g caster sugar
    • 115 g butter
    • 115 g sour cream
    • 3 eggs
    • 1 pinch baking soda
    • 1tsp vanilla
    1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. Grease and flour a 8x4 inch loaf pan.
    2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add sour cream, vanilla and eggs.
    3. Add flour and pinch of soda, mix well. Pour into a 8x4 inch loaf pan.
    4. Bake at 190 degrees C for 1 hour, checking after about 45 minutes (you may need to cover it with foil to prevent overbrowning)
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • mocolo wrote: »
    Hi,

bought this my mistake-what on earth can I do with it? Any ideas gratefully received

mocolo

With the English plums that are now in season, Delia's Plum and sour cream flan. If you don't have enough cream, you can top it up with double.

It's absolutely delicious.

Just done a MSE search, and there's not much else (though Pink will probably find loads ;) ) though I was intrigues by Banana Sour Cream Bread.

There's always Mr BE's chocolate yogurt cake - sour cream in the frosting.

HTH, Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • needaspirin
    needaspirin Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    Mix the soured cream with a packet of powdered leek soup to make the most delicious party dip!
  • tracyk
    tracyk Posts: 224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's great served with Rice & Chillie (& a few tacos if you have them)
  • The only use I can think of is for making scones. use it instead of the milk.
    Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination:beer:

Oscar Wilde
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 1,726 Forumite
    AllRecipes is very good for recipes using sour cream, it's used quite a lot in american baking recipes: http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=sour+cream
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • mocolo
    mocolo Posts: 121 Forumite
    gosh,

thanks for all the replies...the thanks button does not appear to be working for me, but consider yourselves thanked!

I love the sound of the plum and soured crem wotsit, pen but have just one plum left! Will keep that for later..and am intrigued by the mix with leek soup-must try that for my next party. I think this time i will go with the scones but love soda bread so will bookmark that..

mocolo
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport