PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Victorian Farm; BBC TV

Options
If you enjoyed the programme Tales From a Green Valley a few years ago about a team of historians working and living on a farm as it would have been in the 17th century, then check out this programme. It is the same team this time working a Victorian farm in Shropshire.

Tonight's programme includes preserving, cider making, threshing and cooking on a range.

Comments

• mummysaver
    mummysaver Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks thriftlady! Rosieben had recommended it on the times are hard now thread as well. I shall make a sterling effort to stay awake and watch it, looks really interesting.
    GC Oct £387.69/£400, GC Nov £312.58/£400, GC Dec £111.87/£400
  • HH62
    HH62 Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've sent the machine to record it. Sounds great !
    Thank you.
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    Sounds good. An hour of Masterchef followed by this, looks like a night in, in front of telly with some paprika popcorn. :)

Victorian Farm

key_c_cream.gif
    Thursday 08 January
    9:00pm - 10:00pm
    BBC2 Scotland
    1/6

A few years ago five historians spent a year cheerfully living and labouring on a Welsh farm as though it were the 17th century, filming their experiences for the hugely watchable series Tales from the Green Valley. Now Ruth Goodman, Alex Langlands and Peter Ginn (yes, they do sound as though they should live in Trumpton) have moved on through history to re-create the daily life of the Victorian farmer on a Shropshire estate, where time appears to have frozen. It's one of the best period lifestyle reconstructions you could wish to see: richly filmed (with an occasional sepia quality that adds to the atmosphere), packed full of fantastic historic detail about how land was ploughed, walls were plastered and food was prepared. And - unlike reality shows like Big Brother - the participants never have a hissy fit because they've run out of loo roll. Actually, that would be the least of their problems.

RT reviewer - Jane Rackham

VIDEO Plus+: 7137
    Subtitled, Widescreen, Audio-described
    http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsServlet?event=10&channelId=113&programmeId=90747856&jspLocation=/jsp/prog_details_fullpage.jsp
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • halight
    halight Posts: 3,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Iv put this onto record! Looks good!
    :jYou can have everything you wont in lfe, If you only help enough other people to get what they wont.:j
  • FrenchMaid_2
    Options
    oh cheers for that, I will make sure to watch it - I loved that Green Valley program so much...
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No TV but I love Tales from a Green Valley, so hopefully it will be on I-player tomorrow?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • thriftlady_2
    thriftlady_2 Posts: 9,128 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    FrenchMaid wrote: »
    oh cheers for that, I will make sure to watch it - I loved that Green Valley program so much...
    It's available on DVD -I got mine from Amazon.
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have the GV DVD. I find it useful for going back over particular things, like how to make weeding sticks (project for this month).
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Off I go now to make a cuppa and then watch the programme, thanks for the reminder!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • slash69
    slash69 Posts: 139 Forumite
    Options
    just sat and watched and enjoyed it with dd. yea god but they really new the meaning of work.loved ruths pantry although looking bare still, she made a great start with the chutney and stuff and did i spy a couple of pheasant hanging?? and the lads making cider :beer:
    cant wait till next week it's christmas and washday
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport