We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Tomatoes In A Hanging Basket ?

Options
sarah1
sarah1 Posts: 185 Forumite
Hi Al,
Someone told me that i can grow tomatoes in a hanging basket this summer as i do not have a greenhouse. does anyone know if this is right and if so which variety ? :beer:

Comments

• coffeebean
    coffeebean Posts: 91 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello,
    Yes you can,

Tumbler: Plant 2 or 3 to a hanging basket. No need to pinch out side shoots, and water and feed regularly. Cherry sized fruits.
    Hope this helps,
    coffeebean
  • reverie
    reverie Posts: 427 Forumite
    Options
    I give tumbler toms the thumbs up too. I gave a tumbler plant in a pretty pot to a friend with a summer birthday last year, they are so easy to grow - she loved it :)
  • frankiep_2
    frankiep_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    I regularly grow tumblers in hanging baskets, try to hang them somewhere in the sun with a bit of protection from wind. Mine are, at the moment ,hanging in the summer house, but will be placed outside at the end of May. It's not a good idea to place them near trees or shrubs where birds are nesting as they are fond of free food. I live in the freezing North East, near the coast, so am prepared to bring them indoors over night if the weather is a bit nippy.
    Good luck, they taste delicious and I had them going until the end of October last year. Tumblers will also do well in a pot in a sheltered spot. Make sure you use tomato food on them to get a good crop.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I've also been told runner beans and peas can be grown in hanging baskets. I suppose anything that needs support can just hang instead.

BTW, I plant sweet peas to grow up the bean sticks before the beans go in. It's supposed to help with pollination (attracting more bees etc.) and gives the beans something to hang on to. Tried it last year - not convinced it made a big difference but I love sweet peas and it all looked (and smelled) lovely whwn they flowered.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Pop some nastursiam seeds in your hanging basket with the Tumbler Toms ... looks pretty and they are edible too :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Queenie wrote:
    Pop some nastursiam seeds in your hanging basket with the Tumbler Toms ... looks pretty and they are edible too :D

I always get black fly on my nastursiums then no-one wants to eat them. Any tips?
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Bossyboots wrote:
    I always get black fly on my nastursiums then no-one wants to eat them. Any tips?

Tell them they are poppy seeds? :confused:

I squirt "things" with washing up water, (recyling :D ) and that does tend to reduce the amount of "things" on my plants.
    (Last year my marigolds were smothered! They didn't reckon on Queenie and her squirter *insert evil 'hehehe'* )

I get a cabbage white butterflied on my nastursiums and I think that helps keep the things down - other than that, I just give them a wash.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I grow nastursiums to encourage black fly and keep them off my veg! Same for marigolds,not my favourite flower but I have them all round the tomatoes because they're supposed to keep aphids away.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    We grow tomatoes in tubs in the garden, and got a brilliant crop the last couple of years. So you don't necessarily need a greenhouse.

We get the Moneymaker variety as they are dead easy and go on for ages producing fruit.

If you have a sunny spot in the garden, give it a go. Start with just one plant if you are stuck for space - you'll get enough for several salads throughout the season!
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• sarah1
    sarah1 Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Bogoff_babe,
    Do i need to support my tomato plants with canes or anything if i grow them in a tub. And can i grow them straight in the garden. :confused:
    I have seen Money Maker tomato plants for sale three plants for a pound they are about 6 inches high are these the kind that you use?
    Thanks for all your help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport