We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Tomatoes In A Hanging Basket ?

Options

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    No,no,no,no, not Moneymaker. Do you want cherry tomatoes or ordinary?
  • Magentasue
    Options
    Just seen that Moneymaker were recommended. Sorry! I think they're a bit flavourless compared to others-they do crop heavy though.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    No offence Magentasue ;). We are novices at this so went for the easy option!

Yes you do need canes, quite sturdy ones as when the stems fill out and what with the weight of the toms they need quite a lot of support.

We haven't tried planting direct in the ground - not sure the soil quality would be suitable. We have a green plastic trough thing (about £4 from Homebase) and get compost to grow them in. We also get a bottle of Tomorite or any tomato fertilizer, and add to the water when we water them. The advantage of the trough is that we can move it around during the day, to follow the sun.

Incidentally you will need to water them well and daily during hot spells.

I am sure they are not the most flavoursome available, but as a starting point to see how you get on, they are cheap, easy and reliable.... :beer:
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Magentasue
    Options
    Soil should be fine if you're using something like Tomorite - don't use soil that has been used recently for potatoes though. Tomato seeds germinate quite easily (29p pack in Lidls and 99pin B&Q), just sow in yogurt pots or similar and plant out when big enough. I've grown Gardener's Delight without any trouble, nicer than Moneymaker, I think. If you buy plants, you have to take what you can get!
  • mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Two varieties suitable for hanging baskets are 'Tumbling Tom' and 'Garden Pearl'. Both are cherry tomatoes. :)
    Mink
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    I grew tumbler last year in a hanging basket (cherry toms) and they are the only ones that did any good in the pouring rain last summer (others were in a pot).

They were lovely and tasty I'd def. recommend them

My Grandad grew loads of tomatoes and he always told me to keep them in the greenhouse (or in my case on the windowsil in the front room) until FA cup final Saturday. It should be warm enough by then and the risk of frost should have past. So don't plant them out for a few weeks yet, just in case.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Bennifred
    Bennifred Posts: 3,986 Forumite
    Options
    Oh, heck! I've just put my tumblers outside (hanging basket and pots) because they were starting to take over the windowsill. I have got some fleece at the ready, though, for any frosts, so I hope they'll be O.K. :confused: I know, I know, I'm just too impatient - I want it to be summer NOW! :D Please tell me if I should bring them back in........
    [
  • Magentasue
    Options
    This isn't foolproof but look at https://www.metcheck.com or the BBC weather site and look at temps forecast for the next few days. If there is any frost forecast or sudden drops in temp, run out with your fleece.

I've put mine out inthe ground protected by half a two litre fizzy drink bottle. Only problem is, I don't buy fizzy drinks often (wouldn't be here if I did, would I? :D) so I've had to beg them from neighbours so don't have enough. All have survived so far.

T'is said that you get stronger plants and better quality fruit and veg from plants that have had to struggle a bit rather than have been papmered. Course you don't want them to struggle so much they die trying!
  • MRSTITTLEMOUSE
    MRSTITTLEMOUSE Posts: 8,547 Forumite
    Options
    I'm having a go at growing basket tomatoes,tumbling tom is the variety to be precise.Well everything seemed to be going along great.Plants are getting realy bushy and lots of flowers.Also visited by lots of bees.
    My problem is although nothing seems to look different,there does'nt seem to be any tomatoes developing when the flowers die off.I have been feeding them and as this is my first time with tomatoes I don't know what I'm supposed to expect.Thanks.
  • Hepcat
    Hepcat Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Mrstittlemouse,

I'm no tomato expert but if you're not getting any fruit setting try giving the plant a gentle shake every now and then. For some reason I find this helps with pollination and therefore you get toms!

Hope this helps

Hepcat
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family