PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Damaged with bleach - any hope?

My sons navy blue hoody has got bleach on it. The blue on the hood has gone a funny shade of pink/grey. Hubby has come up with the idea of re dying the bleached bit navy but i am unsure as to whether it will dye properly once its been bleached. Have any of you attempted a recovery of this sort? Did it work out ok?

Comments

• Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    I used to be a regular 'bleach blotter' before I discovered that putting on an old top whilst cleaning would save my nice clothes :rolleyes: I dyed several different coloured tops that had blobs of bleach marks to black and they looked fine. I used one of those dyes that you chuck in the washing machine.

If it's quite a big patch it may be more noticeable.
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Ta for the response, i cant dye the whole garment though as there is white writing on the hoody but will give it a go as its his favourite top, can you give me an estimation on cost of this dye?
  • Js_Other_Half
    Js_Other_Half Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    I think the small dylon dyes are only about £2 - £3?
    The IVF worked;DS born 2006.
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    I'm sure they are a bit more than that - about £4.50

Judi, this was on the dylon website if it helps :

QUESTION:

Can you cover bleach marks by dyeing?

ANSWER:

Bleach can burn the fabric and so the area cannot be over dyed, unless the bleach had been washed off straightaway
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • chocomonsta
    chocomonsta Posts: 487 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    to hide the bleach marks get a permanent magic marker in the same colour and colour it back in. It will eventually fade out after several washings but then just colour it back in again. I have tried to dye but it never covers the bleach marks
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I was going to suggest navy ink (permanent). :):):)
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    I dyed a whole top dark green to cover some browny bits where I got bleach on it (it was previously pale green) - worked fine.

I'm not sure how well it would work just to dye part of it though. maybe he could live with having the white writing go blue?
  • carly
    carly Posts: 1,414 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I used fabric paint ( from an art supplies shop ) to cover up bleach marks. It worked quite well , and was permanent. Cost about four quid a pot and I had alot left over for futher use or just to jazz up other items.
  • stuartw101
    stuartw101 Posts: 381 Forumite
    Is this possible? I have some dark jeans and they have pinky marks on them, i think it is bleach, is there a way to get rid of this?

Also i have a blue jumper and it has pinky red marks on it, i think it is where the sun has dyed it? What can i do to get it back looking blue?

Thanks, hope you can help.
  • badgermonkey
    badgermonkey Posts: 165 Forumite
    Sorry to tell you this, but the point of bleach is that it bleaches things, i.e. strips the colour out of them entirely. It's not 'on' the clothes, it's more like it's taken the dye out.

You could re-dye the clothes, I suppose. Or if you could find a permanent marker of a similar shade, you could use that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure