PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Damaged with bleach - any hope?

Options

Comments

• debbym
    debbym Posts: 460 Forumite
    Options
    What are they made of - if cotton tracksuiting then you could go with some fabric dye, if "plastic" then using the permanent marker pen each time you wear them is your only hope.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yes I would buy some perhaps doggy type motifs from a sewing shop and sew them on.I have a beautiful soft maroon velvet jacket that some kind person brushed against with their cigarette end, and as its not only my favourite but it cost a bomb, anyway I found some pretty very tiny butterfly motifs and sewed them in a line of three the middle one covering the tiny hole and everyone says how pretty my jacket looks It a really nice one that only gets used on high days and holiday if I am going out somewhere special
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    You can get those fabric colouring pens quite cheap from some haberdashers, I have a black Dylon one that I bought once to colour over a bleach mark, and it worked fine. The colour might not be exact, but close enough if you're not looking for it. Online the going rate seems to be £2-3 but I'm sure I paid £1.49 locally.
  • SomersetSaver
    Options
    Hi

I'm a long time lurker coming out of the shadows to ask a question!

I've managed to spill bleach on a favourite black linen skirt and its gone all brown in several places as a result. Does anyone know that if I dye the skirt this will repair the damage?

Or is there any other way around it, please?

Thanks
    SS
    GC 2016 Jan £259.35/£250 Feb £lost track/£250 Mar £163.70/£250
    Emergency Fund Savings Target £600/£2,400
    Other Savings Target £664.50/£1,000
    NSD Mar 6/16
    Stoozed spend offset £1,225.20/£3,300
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dying it is your only option. Dye won't "repair" the damage but it could cover it up
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    Options
    Dying won't work either, and its a waste of money, I have done this many many times and still haven't learned. :o Use a black permanent marker to colour the stain in, it may well wash out but after a few goes it will match in pretty well.
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Try black felt tip and see how it goes or if possible sew a motif over it if its not too big.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Options
    Linen - such an expensive & lovely fabric, but behaves weirdly around dye. I would try the above, but suspect they will only work temporarily.
    If it was an expensive skirt I would then try:
    washing with bleach (measure amount carefully or you will ruin the linen) and probably Dygon. Then look at your skirt - it will look a strange colour - try to find a dye colour as near as you can.
    This will cost you about £8 (haven't bought Dylon recently so not sure) so you may be better to write it off to experience.
    A friend of mine once salvaged some lovely cotton by "tie-bleaching" it but I am less sure about linen.
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also vote with permament black marker pen. A work colleague has similar issue with one of her work skirts and would sit colouring in her fabric spots at her desk LOL
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another vote for permanent marker. I did this with my black linen trousers this weekend. Colour the patch with a series of dots rather than lines - seems to blend in better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure