PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Damaged with bleach - any hope?

Options

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi ness,

There's an earlier thread that should help so I've added your post to it to keep the suggestions together.

I've tried the permanent marker tip on dark patterned clothes before and it did disguise the mark unless you were looking very closely.

Pink
  • ness_w
    ness_w Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Pink-winged, I will give that a go - shame that I threw out every felt-pen in the house in a fit of toddler-induced hysteria. I'll have to find somewhere that I can buy a brown one all on its own!
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i have a pair of brown cotton trousers that i have splashed bleach on - i tried dying brown but the splashes still look lighter than the rest - i have worn them al summer as they fold up to 3/4 lenth and the splashes dont show but i am thinking of machine dying them black as i have a black pair of linen trousers that have faded. nothing ventured i suppose if i am using black dye any way.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • sarahs999
    sarahs999 Posts: 3,751 Forumite
    Options
    My 'darling' husband managed to killl two of my items of clothes last night; he left bleach in our son's potty so my cardigan belt dangled in it while I was bathing DS, and then the belt settled nicely on my knee while I was drying him. So I have a bleached belt end, a bleached knee and probably a bleach patch on my towel too though I haven't looked there. Furious! Not least because I am losing weight at the moment and don't want to buy any more trousers in that size, but they're my only work trousers. Is there anything that I can do? Will soaking it in black dye work? It doesn't have to be utterly perfect but passable would be great.

I hate bleach. We have an ongoing war about it - he's always flinging it around and ruining stuff (cuddly elephant, his smart jeans, some towels... the list goes on), but he says it's the only thing that gets rid of germs. I think he's wrong. Is there anything I can give him to try using instead that's lesss awful on the enviroment (and my trousers)?
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    All hope lost, I fear.

You could try black dye but in my experience, bleach splashes mean more gardening clothes.
  • sarahs999
    Options
    Thanks, but what a bummer. I could strangle him!
  • newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you don't want to pay out for new trousers, could you look in charity shops or second hand on ebay? As you won't wear them long due to the weight loss, it might make more sense?

That's what I did when I started to lose weight - and in fact am still doing even though I'm now at my idea weight ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I use bleach but didn't when I had small children. I have a system of sorts - if I have a bowl or sink with bleach in it, I'll stand the bottle of bleach in it as a signal. I don't use it unless I've got a pinny or old clothes on after ruining clothes.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi sarahs,

This thread might help: Dying over bleach? I used a permanent marker to colour in a bleach splashed blouse and it did the trick.

Pink
  • sarahs999
    Options
    I like the permanent marker idea a lot - they only have to last me a few more weeks (hopefully!). Thanks everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure