PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Housework routine

Options

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Think you've just found yourself a job MATH - ring up C4 and offer to under-cut him ;D
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you suggesting I'm cheap? :o If you are you've got me dead right ;D
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Lol @ MATH - some families need a shove to sort themselves out - a friend of mine has driven me to despair with her unorganised chaos - i even lent her my copy of the Life Laundry to see if it would give her a kick start - she now has things under control cos she now pays a cleaner -

it didn't matter what i said or did to try and help it didn't work - it required someone else to come in and get stuck in in order to sort the mess out.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I really struggle to understand why they can't see it for themselves, But I'm not very sympathetic to peeps who don't see things my way. As you've said with your friend they quite clearly can't. It makes me laugh when you see a family drowning in dirty laundry and that posh bloke comes in and says "Do some laundry" and they go "OOOOH, I HADN'T THOUGHT OF THAT, THANKS" he then heads towards a kitchen sink deep with dirty crockery and says "Wash Up" and they go "OOOOH YOUR WONDERFUL, THANK GOODENESS YOU'VE COME TO SHOW US WHAT TO DO". If these are pearls of wisdom I'm up there with Einstein and Mirriam Stoppard. ;D
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lol @ math. you cheap, never!!!!
  • chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wondered if anyone would share their cleaning routine if they have one. might be interesting to see how often people do certain tasks, what products they use or homemade / oldstyle alternatives people use. it might save us some money & time or we might learn from peoples tips.

wondered what cleaning /housekeeping task people do on a daily/ weekly/ monthly/annual basis.
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    In theory or practice?

I can't get this sorted - mine is more crisis management, clean kichen and bathroom quickly every day, thoroughly every week. Other rooms according to need.

In practice, every room gets thoroughly cleaned every school holiday, rest of the time it depends on how lazy I am(or not). Can be untouched for the whole half-term apart from quick hoover round every weekend.

There's a website called Flylady that aims to cure CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) but looks too much like hard work to me.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I am fortunate, i can do what i want when i want as i have no outside commitments but the key to my routine is simplicity.

An uncluttered house is easy to clean and looks tidy, so i very often go through the house chucking stuff that is no longer used. What ornaments i have are behind glass so they dont trap the dust. All books, magazines and usual clutter are also in drawers.

Mondays and Fridays is my main cleaning day. On those days i clean the house from top to bottem (I say clean, i dont pull out furniture and clean windows and stuff) whilst Minime is at school. Midweek i do what needs to be done and no more such as washing, vaccuming and also if i notice other things need doing, such as if the upvc looks grubby i do it then). My house isnt very big, so i dont need to work hard at it.
  • fazer6
    fazer6 Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    I used to dread doing mine at the weekend and it'd take hours. This week I did a bit every day after work to give me a bit more time. Monday - Toilets and bathrooms (I have 3), Tuesday - hoover bottom floor, Wednesday - washing, Thursday - hoover top floor, Friday - kitchen, Saturday - shopping and wash kitchen floor.

I use ajax powder for everything. It's cheap, lasts ages and gets everything really clean. Now I'm doing all the normal stuff I used to do every weekend during the week hopefully I'll have more time to tackle the bigger stuff. Because my house is quite big and hadn't been cleaned properly in years dust had collected everywhere, I'm trying to properly get the whole place completely clean but it needs totally redecorating so some things like carpets... let the place down but there's nothing I can do yet.
  • needmoney
    needmoney Posts: 4,932 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I haven't got one, I'm always in a state of chaos, that's not to say it's filthy or really messy but i know it's not up to scratch. I used to clean for others and was very thorough I still do clean one place but I can't bring the same discipline to my own home, it's clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy:D
    Did anyone see wife swap this week which mother would you have preferred, the worse thing that got to me was the tretment of the little two year old and no stair gate, how could anyone live with that?????
    Women and cats will do as they please and men and dogs should get used to it.;)
    Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport