PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Housework routine

Options

Comments

• chardonnay_2
    chardonnay_2 Posts: 2,201 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i would love to be organised but find it hard as i suffer from an illness. sometimes it's a battle for me to find the motivation to empty the dishwasher or take the washing to the dryer etc.

i'm lucky that my dp also chips in so it helps to keep on top of things. tend to tidy kitchen and living room daily. sweep laminate every other day or daily. i don't wash the floors as often as i should put think my mil is the other extreme, she washes them everyday!
    :love: married to the man of my dreams! 9-08-09:love:
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Could I suggest a website that I frequent (and moderate) on : http://organizedhome.com . Although it is an American based site there are people from all over the world so you get plenty of input.

Since I've been there I've become much more housework savvy. I'm a SAHM but with an almost-4-year-old little girl home from 11.30am daily I have to keep ontop of the housework as otherwise it just doesn't get done.

Everymorning I :
    -Make beds (Daughter makes hers)
    - Wash any dishes left from the night before (usually pans or casserole dishes that needed to be soaked)
    - Tidy the livingroom/kitchen while daughter has her breakfast
    - Tidy bedrooms and collect any laundry while daughter toilets and brushes her teeth (I grab her at least twice a week and clean them now though)
    - Put one loads of laundry in while I walk daughter to school
    - Come home after running any quick errands (like going to the cash machine) and have breakfast while reading msgboards
    - Wash breakfast dishes

Then 3 days a week I set too and this is what I try and get done between 10am and 11.25am ;)
    Mondays : - Any extra laundry from the weekend, usually Jeans etc & any ironing that wasn't finished.
    - Hoover through (two up two down house so this takes 20 minutes tops)
    - Clear up any dumped items, like toiletries, toys etc
    Tuesdays - My day to do whatever
    Wednesdays - Change beds every other week (every week in summer),
    - Any ironing that needs to be done
    - Dust bedrooms & clean bathroom
    - extra washing of bedding and towels as appropriate
    Thursday - my day / ebay day
    Friday - Clean livingroom and kitchen

When daughter comes in from nursery she get herself changed and her clean uniform out for the next day. If I haven't managed to get the jobs finished she helps me the best she can.

Friday afternoon I write my shopping list and then go shopping in the evening when my partner gets in from work. I can't drive yet and he looks after our daughter while I shop so it works out well. We then have something very easy for tea, like soup or maybe frozen pizza, but I'm on a health drive at the minute so 99% of the time its soup now.

Every night after tea I wash the dishes, tidy the livingroom (after daughter has gone to bed around 6.30-7pm) and do any ironing that is needed for the next day. I'm usually finished around about 8pm and the rest of the night is to do with as I please.

If a room needs a really good deep clean (Spring cleaning if you like) then I put daughter in her bedroom with her toys for an hour or so after she gets in from nursery and I do the cleaning then. She plays (or has a nap - it's up to her) and I get my jobs done.

I use almost all own brand, but not basic, products for almost all my cleaning:
    Asdas own : fabric conditioner, furniture polish
    Smart Price : soap powder, washing up liquid
    Branded : window cleaner (only because the Asda brand made me choke), stain remover, bathroom/kitchen cleaner (Oxi gel - its the only thing that makes my bath look clean)
    Most of the time I find no problems with the own branded stuff, but when I tried some of the homemade things it went horribly wrong so I just dont' bother now. I use the cleaning products so sparingly anyway I can afford 50+p a time for a tin of polish.
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    wow you're all super mums/dads .
    I do the hoover when I think it needs it. We all have an aversion to the noise so its not very often. I clean the kitchen as I use it.Laundry is done when its too much for the laundry bag(everyone has one hanging in their room OH and I have 1 each) .Everyone gets to do dishes and I put them away in the morning.
    I dont dust ever but go around when hoovering with the dusting head (on the hoover :LOL Im not Worzel Gummidge).
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm home 24/7 here is my routine (tweaked and refined over 10 years) for running a family of five in a five bed house. I start at 7am and apart from bathing kidz and emptying dishwasher I'm done by 6pm.

Daily: Make beds, tidy all rooms, vac downstairs, clean down kitchen/bathroom, change kitchen/table linen, run dishwasher (twice), cook meals, run kidz about.

Mon: Dust 'n' vac all rooms, change towels, laundry (wash/dry)

Tue: Laundry (iron/put away), grocery shopping, empty dustbins and put out.

Wed: Dust 'n' vac all rooms, change towels, one extra job ie Gardening/Windows/Repairs, Batch baking, Defrosting freezer

Thu: Errands 'n' banking, paperwork, emergency Laundry (wash,dry,iron,put away)

Fri: Full top to bottom clean, change beds, change towels, water houseplants.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    Options
    I've often thought about it but never said it BUT now I NEED to say it:

'I want a MATH' :D

Ever considered cloning yourself MATH? Or hiring yourself out? :D:D
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am soooo ashamed after reading all these beautiful routines.

My house is a total mess (especially now that I have just had builders in, but usually not much better). I have to fight two very untidy teenagers and a helpful but sloppy husband. I come back home knackered as at work I am always on my feet, sometimes even doing domestic stuff (for my new mums) and mostly I have no energy left to do my own housework.

Lillibet - you have been to my home! After reading your routine now I think you must have been HORRIFIED!!!! with the mess and the untidiness!

Ah well....if work lets up a bit I shall try to follow some of the suggestions here!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Caterina

Don't fret about housework - I am sure anyone visiting you would remember the warmth of their welcome and not evn notice a bit of a mess.

That's what I try to tell myself anyway :):):)
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • littleangel
    Options
    I'm with you, elona!

I live by myself and work full time so when I'm home the last thing I want to do is clean...

My solution is to invite friends round for dinner - that's my incentive to clean the house.

I do like the '10 minute blitz' idea suggested earlier - I'm going to try that, and see how it goes - I'll let you know!
  • Squidgy
    Squidgy Posts: 684 Forumite
    Options
    I really can't believe how much some of you do!

Does it have time to get dirty inbetween?!
    It's not WHAT you know, it's WHO you know
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I hoover and do two loads of washing everyday, clean as I go in the kitchen so I never need to blitz it, everything else gets done when I decide it needs cleaning. I hated cleaning the bath so now I turn the shower on, jump in, clean the bath then clean me :D
    Bulletproof
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport