PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

Options

Comments

• Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just came across this link for a massive amount of slow cooker recipes, worth checking out -

http://www.ebicom.net/kitchen/page/cpidx.htm
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fran posted this link some time ago to a number of food and recipe sites on the old forum boards.

You can read them but you can't post into them any more.

Just scroll down past the big red IMPORTANT NOTICE and you'll find them all still there.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Chilli and ginger chicken

Ingredients:

1.3 ish kilos of chicken portions
    1 can tomato
    1 can tomato soup
    1 onion
    2 dessert spoons chilli in white wine vinegar *
    2 dessert spoons ginger in white wine vinegar *
    1 hefty tablespoon golden syrup (or honey?)
    4 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons cornflour (or ordinary)
    Garlic to taste
    Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

I usually take the skin off portions that will sit in sauce because it doesn't crisp.

Place all the chicken portions in the pot with the chopped onion. **

Put all the other ingredients in a liquidiser and whiz them up.

Pour over the chicken portions.

Cook on low for whatever time your cooker says for chicken (usually six to eight hours)

* I've got these to try and they're useful - but if you haven't just use whatever you've got. Remember - No recipe is carved in stone! :)

**You could lightly fry the onion, and brown the chicken portions before putting them in the pot.

**(part two)You could add the raw chopped onion late in the cooking time to keep it solid and chunky.

So that's the recipe. You could swap pineapple syrup with a few pinapple chunks whizzed in for the golden syrup, then throw in the remaining pinapple bits chopped.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Squeaky - how many does your chilli ginger chicken recipe serve? I am thinking of making it for a mate coming to visit - haven't seen her for 5 years - is it good enough for that ;)
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Trow wrote:
    Squeaky - how many does your chilli ginger chicken recipe serve? I am thinking of making it for a mate coming to visit - haven't seen her for 5 years - is it good enough for that ;)
    At 1.3 kilos, or approx 2.5 lbs it's plenty enough for four - so you'll get some to freeze :)

Make sure you've got the "improved" recipe because I reckoned it needed a bit more oomph! (same recipe - just edited a bit)

Mind you - you can adjust quantities of spices and things to suit your own tastes. :)

Edit: Doh! The one just up there ^ IS the updated recipe :)
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    squeaky wrote:
    Make sure you've got the "improved" recipe because I reckoned it needed a bit more oomph! (same recipe - just edited a bit)

Ermmmm who reckoned it needed a bit of oooomph? :p
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    WE did :p:)
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you're worried about overcooking things in a slow cooker, which is difficult but can be done, while you're at work or out for the day you could you use a handy plug in timer to delay the start time and make sure your meal is perfect as you step through the door.
  • crindle134
    crindle134 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    lyniced wrote:
    MimiJane - just read your post - so basically I should put it in NOW (8.45 am) to get best results?
    Be sure to heat the empty crockpot for 20 minutes on High, before adding food, and use hot liquid to start the dish with.
    crindle134
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi crindle,

Welcome to MoneySaving :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport