PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

Options

Comments

• squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    While we have a quiet moment I'm going to start indexing all the recipes everyone has so kindly posted in this thread. Thank you all!

To start with I shall just be indexing the whole recipes and not the various tips and add-ons. This thread will stay exactly as it is with no deletions because it's not a deliberate collection only thread, so please... keep those recipes coming. :)

The index itself can be found through the main Old Style Recipes Index

or more directly if you want to bookmark it clickme.gif
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • jazzyjustlaw
    jazzyjustlaw Posts: 1,378 Forumite
    Options
    Can you add quorn to the slow cooker at the beginning of cooking?
    All my views are just that and do not constitute legal advice in any way, shape or form.£2.00 savers club - £20.00 saved and banked (got a £2.00 pig and not counted the rest)Joined Store Cupboard Challenge]
  • matty_c608
    matty_c608 Posts: 910 Forumite
    Options
    If this is a money saving site, and you have to leave your slow cooker on all day, isn't this inefficient and therefore, a money waster??!
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Matty - I think you'll find it uses less power than cooking by conventional means and it also means you can take advantage of cheaper cuts of meat, which respond better to slow cooking.

Just finished a lemon chicken tea and I can tell you which way I prefer my meat cooked now :D
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    matty_c608 wrote:
    If this is a money saving site, and you have to leave your slow cooker on all day, isn't this inefficient and therefore, a money waster??!

Hiya, :)

Welcome to MoneySaving.

On low power settings a slow cooker typically uses approximately the same amount of power as a light bulb.

Better still - if you buy a plug in timer (at less than £4.00 usually) you can set things to cook for exactly the right amount of time to be perfect by the time you get home.

This is wa-a-a-ay below the power requirements for a standard cooker.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    :hello: Welcome matty_c608 - good point! That was my first thought too when I was given a slow cooker (many moons ago as a wedding present!).

I can confirm squeaky's answer. (I'm a older than he is, have more life experience and can testify - on oath if need be - that I am wiser) *ducks fast b4 squeaky throws his smelly slippers at me*

The "slow cooker" is nothing more than a modern equivalent of the traditional "hay box" of old. Hay boxes provided a space where heated food could be kept in an insulated place where the heat was retained and therefore "cooked" the food all day but without burning/overcooking.

Clearly, in modern times not everyone has access to hay per se and slow cookers took over. They thrive and flourish in our modern society *because* it is an economical use of fuel. (We 'old style' housewives aren't quite as green as we're cabbage looking ;) We wouldn't invest in a gadget unless it proved economical in fuel/time/food economy)

Just as computers are the modern day equivalent of typewriters (amongst other things!) and the hand written letter, slow cookers are the modern equivalent of the old, old, hay box method.

HTH :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Queenie wrote:
    I can confirm squeaky's answer.
    Why thank you Queenie :)
    Queenie wrote:
    (I'm a older than he is,
    I'l1 agree with that!! Never argue with a lady! :D
    Queenie wrote:
    have more life experience and can testify - on oath if need be - that I am wiser)
    I'm not quite so sure I can agree with that :p:)
    Queenie wrote:
    *ducks fast b4 squeaky throws his smelly slippers at me*
    Too late! Wa-a-a-ay too late! Harumph!

:)
  • mah_jong
    mah_jong Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    i just made the chines e chicken and mushroom recipe that was in my book....its YUMMMY!
    i cannot believe how flavoursome it is! Must be the lemon and soy sauce!

ma
  • squeaky
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So share it with us then, we're all agog!

:)
  • jaybee
    jaybee Posts: 1,555 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mah_jong wrote:
    i just made the chines e chicken and mushroom recipe that was in my book....its YUMMMY!
    i cannot believe how flavoursome it is! Must be the lemon and soy sauce!

ma

It's not in my book :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family