PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

Options

Comments

• Bargain_Rzl
    Bargain_Rzl Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Magentasue wrote:
    I think you need to be careful about the AWT from Argos - can't remember the details but might be worth doing a search on this board.

I have the AWT, though to date I have only used it once. Before buying it I did a fairly extensive search of this board, as well as posting a specific query about whether it was any good (see later on in the "Recommend a slow cooker to me!" thread) and got no negative feedback at all :confused:

To my mind its main advantage is the shape and size - just right for a good-sized whole chicken, but not so huge that I'm struggling to fill it (I normally only cook for myself and freeze what I haven't eaten).
    :)Operation Get in Shape :)
    MURPHY'S NO MORE PIES CLUB MEMBER #124
  • MrsMW
    MrsMW Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    I have the AWT one and I like it very much, but it seems to work at a fairly high temperature compared to my old one. Most things I cook on Low but for chickens and joints I use the Auto setting. It is big and there are only two of us but it's great for cooking chilli etc. for freezing.
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    Magentasue wrote:
    I think you need to be careful about the AWT from Argos - can't remember the details but might be worth doing a search on this board.

Maybe you're thinking of a post I made? I bought my AWT from Argos and when I paid at the till, the computer put up a message saying that if the AWT was out of stock it would be substituted with a similar model from Rival. Some people on this board have commented that Rival are an inferior brand. I suggested that anyone shopping in Argos make sure they get the AWT and don't accept the Rival alternative.

Otherwise I've had no complaints about this model, it's going strong and has tonight's braised steak bubbling away :D
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MrsMW wrote:
    I have the AWT one and I like it very much, but it seems to work at a fairly high temperature compared to my old one. Most things I cook on Low but for chickens and joints I use the Auto setting. It is big and there are only two of us but it's great for cooking chilli etc. for freezing.

All the new ones seem to be cooking at a much higher temperature, seems a bit silly to me. That's one of the reasons I was grateful to pick up a much older one at the bootsale on Sunday, and it's smaller too so I can cook Bolognese sauce without worrying that it's going to burn to a crisp :)
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • AussieLass
    AussieLass Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wasn't going to bring mine over. I had it in the pile to give to my eldest son. Might go and rescue it now though. Don't like the idea of them cooking with the higher temp either. Mmmm what can I ditch instead. Maybe the summer clothes. :D
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia. ;)

• MrsMW
    MrsMW Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    I don't actually find the higher temperature a problem now I've got used to it, but I'm usually at home all day so I keep an eye on it. If I could find an empty cupboard though I'd get my old one back from my son who hasn't used it yet.
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I cooked beef stew today! My daddy tried to sabotage it by not buying anything on the shopping list I gave him though :(
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

• ListerS
    ListerS Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    When I was a student I almost lived out of my slow cooker, the smell would drive my housemates nuts though!

I found that you could almost keep a constant meal ubbling away by topping up ingredients. Once you have a decent base going you can add any meat you want really. For a student cheep sausages and the "less popular" cuts of beef such as shin are great.. I think I even did a couple of Hams whole in the pot! They just fell apart it was Lurvley.
    I also think that the old slow cooker is really good for soups..especially things like Scots Broth or even Pottage(Great way to use up old veg!!) In fact for a student these are really great as they essentially just take one burst of activity to have somthing that a: you can freeze b:gets all your veg in you in one go c; Is very cheap d: The smell drives others who live on pasta and beer nuts! and finally keeps mum off your back about eating properly!!!! :D
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya, and welcome to MoneySaving :)

You're right, the smell of something cooking all day can send anyone nuts! I haven't dared do an all day and forever pot because I'd just end up pigging out all the time :) I'm experimenting with a mixed grill at the moment and the smell is making me so-o-o-o-o hungry!
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jackpot

In my tiny village bring and buy earlier today the very first book I spotted on a stall was Crockpot Cooking by Mary Norwak. For just ten pence :)

Interesting.

I've learned that I shouldn't leave food to cool in the pot because it takes too long. The food should be removed to some other container and be allowed to cool there.

And for cheesy things - hard cheeses don't do well but processed cheese or a cheese spread works fine. :)

I got at least a year's reading at less than two pence a day - delivered! :D
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport